main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    The moment an idea that sparked in your mind ... be it the simplest image ... an idea ingrained in the past ... to perhaps a mixture of film, pop culture or music on a whim ...
    Or even perhaps just the impulse or desire to write ... or even in your mind ... atleast that's how I get my poems at times ... or perhaps I just look at my Action Figure collection (The CAMP OF TOYS C.O.T. haha) ... :)

Kahara likes this.
  2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    When you have spent over two decades working with characters you have created, and these "relationships" lasted longer than any real-world ones you ever had. Plus you realized a long time ago your characters were the only children you were ever going to have...

pronker and Kahara like this.
  3. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Your home, sick, always being a step or two from the toilet and spend the day writting fanfiction or something related.

Kahara and SatineNaberrie like this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    And, in fact, I'm about to go do this right now. Extensive mental notes will be taken. :D

jcgoble3 and Gamiel like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    YKYAFFWW you want full report to use for your own world building.

leiamoody, jcgoble3 and Findswoman like this.
  6. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

Or that they all had better love lives than you. Most of my "main" OCs are married and depending on the AU have started a family. I on the other hand don't have a boyfriend and have only gone on a handful of dates.

leiamoody, Gamiel and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I, on the other hand, enjoy creating romantic false leads. Bigtime. All the time.

I save all my squeeeeee for the couple already established, creating new ones is not fun.

Thuro likes this.
  8. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    YKYAFFW:

...your only real effort at fan fic romance came about almost accidentally, after the idea came to you in a dream.

9. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I agree. [face_relieved]I get embarrassed for others easily, and thinking of all those 'romantic' lines I hate sand makes me squirm when the relationship is in its larval stage.

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You hate sand? I don't think I get that sentence.

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    You never watched Attack of the Clones, did you?

12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    It was an attempt at a romantic come-on line that got everywhere.:) : Cracked.com, MAD magazine, etc.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Stop negging. Now.

14. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'm not sure what you mean. But yeah, that "I hate sand" line was from AotC.

15. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I have learned a new word today: negging. Thanks, all![:D]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    And to get us back on track... When you end up with two or three sets of outtakes while trying to get to dialogue gold, basing your scene around "Well... crap." (Funs were had! Much, much fun!)

pronker, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When you plan on all sorts of fun side chapters for a fic and you want them to be perfect. My sister and I have a Thor fic bouncing around with Loki doesn't go off the deep end. With the Thor, Avengers and Thor Dark World there would be bonus chapters from Ultimate Spider Man and a few other stuff. The Ultimate Spider Man ones would be Loki making fun of the team and doing all sort of things to them when they make him mad like changing their voices and colors of their uniforms.

18. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    YKYAFFWW...

...you figure out how to make some aspect of the EU that you absolutely despised work.

I figured out how a black lightsaber would work and how it would actually look. I used science. The resultant blade would end up looking very, very odd. It wouldn't be a "true" lightsaber, but it would be close, and it would look friggin' weird.

19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    YKYAFFWW you spend hours researching the real-world science behind a fictional universe. :p

20. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    YKYAFFWW you have photos of a 3D computer model of one black bladed lightsaber you asked another community member to help you with, because you wanted to see how it would look for your character.

(And you're willing to share those photos with TrakNar if needed :p)

Chyntuck, Findswoman , Kahara and 2 others like this.
  21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you go to the library and check out three books of poetry to aid in the making of your next one-shot story.

22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    You spend over an hour going through an eight year old story thread just to deal with the massive case of truncationitis, and realize you're editing this thread just like you used to edit research papers.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    AO3 actually adds a new category with solely your fic in it and you hope this will motivate more people to explore it, as the only other fic you saw in that niche before that was some extremely weird poodoo on deviantART.

Kahara, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you thought you had a plot hole, but it turned out not to be one on account of psychometry. (So THAT'S how that element actually happened... :oops: )

Findswoman , Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you ask a coworker to relend you the program of an opera he saw so you can double-check on the specifics of the thing in the synopsis that inspired the short story you're currently working on. When you're considering xeroxing said synopsis for your notes. And when you're considering in your mind whether to ask him more about the specifics of that particular scene. [face_hypnotized]

Goodwood, jcgoble3, Kahara and 3 others like this.