main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Offical Computer Help Thread V2.0

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Try trendmicro.com's free scan

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    More problem Windows updates:

KB 2962872 - Apparently stops IE 11 from functioning.

And apparently several of the updates are not intsalling on Windows 7 computers.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Stop using IE11.

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not on IE 11. I googled it to see if it would cause problems on my version of Windows (which is Vista)

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Wait, so you're just spamming this thread with general notices, rather than asking for or dishing out advice?

Sounds about right.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    No, I posted what I posted about those updates as a warning for those who use those systems, so that they don't end up inadvertently screwing up their computers via a bad MS update.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeesh, I mean, I know they haven't exactly been thrilling lately, but that's a little harsh.

jp-30 likes this.
  8. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Hello Computer Jedi Wizards, LAJ_FETT

I am thinking about hooking up two monitors to my desktop computer.
    Is there something special that I need to purchase? Like a special monitor cable, video card, some other special requirement, etc.?

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    More problem MS updates:

KB2976627 - will stop IE from working/loading properly (was originally reported for IE 10, but Windows has acknowledged that it's an issue update for all versions of IE still supported and won't be fixed until the September update)

KB2976897, KB2970228, and KB2982791, have been implicated in triggering Blue Screen Stop 0x50 messages.

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Nobody cares.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    [luke]I care[/luke]

Actually I'm still running XP, so Microsoft doesn't care about me at all.

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Post links to back up your statements, Juliet. I just searched several of them and came up with nothing aside from the garden variety issues which pop up with every patch Tuesday and are usually caused by other already existing issues.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    EDIT: DISREGARD

15. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I've finally become a victim of the Microsoft automatic update crisis. A couple days ago my Windows 8 laptop downloaded and installed several Windows updates. Since then, my computer will no longer boot up to Windows, displaying instead an error message saying that the updates failed to install properly and the PC is trying to remove them. The computer freezes there.

I don't have a Windows 8 cd, so I fought to get into Safe Mode. From there, I went to the Control Panel, looked up recent updates, and tried to delete them.

But it won't let me. Every time I try, an error pops up saying that since the update never installed properly, it won't uninstall.

Now what?

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Can you use System Restore to restore your system to a date prior to the update date? (There's a video here on Youtube that tells how to get there in Safe Mode. I have Windows 7 so that's no help). Note that restoring back should not affect your data.

Personally, I let the updates download automatically but not install automatically. That way I can Google the KB numbers to see if there are any issues with the updates. If there are then I hide the update so it won't install. Also I use System Backup prior to any installation so I have a known restore point.

17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I never set a restore point so the option was grayed out. :(

Edit:

I think maybe I could get back into safe mode and try to Refresh the PC.

18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So I was able to Refresh the PC. When I have time, I'll have to reinstall my apps and maybe some miscellaneous programs, and I have to reapply my settings.

I was so far unable to find an option to automatically download updates without installing them. So for now the PC is set to not download any updates. I guess I'll just have to do everything manually from now on.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In Win 7 it's Control Panel>>Windows Updates>>Change Settings (on the left of the panel). Under Important Updates there's a dropdown list. I have 'Download updates but let me choose whether to install them'.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks. I'll look for it.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I had to Google how to change the update settings to the aforementioned setting in Windows 8. But I found it and applied it. Thanks.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    No probs. You might also want to turn on System Protection since you said you didn't have any restore points to go back to. There's a short tutorial for Windows 8 here.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So, I finally downloaded Google Chrome today. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Get adblock. ASAP.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    First thing I did. Very first thing I did.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.