main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Battlefront - The Novel? (Is this an announcement?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    This is being printed in the paperback edition of A New Dawn. Check out the listing/placement for Battlefront. The listing makes it look more like a novel (tie-in?) than the game itself. Thoughts? Info?

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's confirming that Battlefront's campaign will be set in OT and canon.

3. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Strange placement, though, if that's the case, because I understood reports are that it would contain campaigns basically covering the entire saga, including post ROTJ material. Also curious that it doesn't mark it out as being a game, but places it in the same font/style as the other novels. Even the TV series get a different font/style. It's just very curious. Also, it doesn't include junior novels, comics. The single placement of Battlefront, in that way, without comment, if not an adult novel, is just confusing.

4. Mmmmm Napalm

Mmmmm Napalm Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2014
    Hopefully this means that the campaign has some original story to it. I don't want just a series of moments from the films, I'd like a unique story, with a variety of new settings, etc. that actually contributes to the canon.

That isn't to say I don't want all the classic locales seen in the films as maps for the multiplayer of course, but I'd rather they be confined to the multiplayer for the most part, unless their inclusion in the campaign makes logical sense.

Riv_Shiel, CooperTFN and Ender Sai like this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I agree it's ambiguous, because there was intent I believe to tie into TFA. I think, since the dev video showed them looking at OT models and them saying they wanted to give a great Star Wars experience, they would stay away from the prequels and the placement on that timeline would suggest late OT era (to account for Endor).

There's two options I can think of:

1) the TFA stuff will be akin to how Skyfall was introduced to the wretchedly **** game 007 Legends, or
    2) The reason Rebels and Clone Wars are flagged as TV shows might be to differentiate other Rebels/TCW products from the show. So if a book Star Wars Rebels: Generic Novel Title is released it avoids confusion.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The rumor that said it would have stuff throughout the saga also said there was a battle on Tatooine in Episode I.

7. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I like the confirmation that LOTS is set before Tarkin.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

But they can't have a "great Star Wars experience" and include the prequels. It would have to be a "comprehensive Star Wars experience, that hits the highs of the original trilogy with the lows of the prequel trilogy" :p

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting that they're listing TV series, movies, novels but no comics. Would they proliferate too damn fast to keep up?

10. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Maybe, but I'd think they could just include the series name. Once a series crosses between films they could split it into a part one and part two.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maybe some stats-minded individual looked at the campaigns in the game and calculated the arithmetic mean on a timeline, which happened to fall just after ANH.

Gorefiend, Revanfan1, Lugija and 2 others like this.
  12. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    They never inclued the comics in their timelines before, did they?

This is why the Battlefront listing seems so strange, unless it's a new tie-in novel.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That's because Del Rey only listed its own books.

14. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Exactly. Which is why logic would lead to this listing of Battlefront as being a novel, and not the game.

15. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm wondering if they'll do a multimedia project. Like with Shadows of the Empire and The Force Unleashed. Have a game, novel, graphic novel, and all those things.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    All right, the NEU's Ruins of Dantooine!

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Maybe Karen Traviss can write it? And in the style of an average battlefront player!

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm sure the story will be thrilling.

Revanfan1 and Ender Sai like this.
  19. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Are we really complaining about a hypothetical book that we know nothing about.

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

You'll just disappoint the people who then play the game and are looking for the fetus grenadier class (or whatever that weird Traviss thing was).

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

We're jaded and cynical; we have Attack of the Drones and Revenge of the **** to thank for that.

Mmmmm Napalm likes this.
  22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't think Dark Disciple should really need it's own entry on the list. It's just a part of the Clone Wars, which is already covered. It's not a spin-off or tie-in, it is 8 episodes of the show.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So? Now it's a novel, so it's different, thus it warrants inclusion.

Taalcon likes this.
  24. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

All other episodes of TCW don't have an adult hardcover replacing unfinished and unaired episodes. It's a separate work, published by Del Rey. Come on. Use common sense.

JoinTheSchwarz and Riv_Shiel like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Whether there is a novel for Battlefront or not, it was rumored by MSW that there was an actual storyline. My guess would be that it's similar to Battlefront 2's clone campaign, with the one trooper narrating the prologue of each level. If that's the case, I could see there being a novel about whatever character is doing the narrating (provide it's not, say, Luke Skywalker or somebody else who's already significant).

But I also think we need to be more excited about Battlefront in general. With it coming out this year, I think it's often overshadowed by the release of Episode VII, but this game could be seriously exciting if done right. And we know there will be at least PT, TCW, OT, and ST characters in it, so I'm hoping for some Rebels-related stuff, as well.

darthcaedus1138 and Taalcon like this.