main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Poll: Beyond Episode IX

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Forbidden Island, Mar 14, 2015.

?

What do you think (or want) will happen after Episode IX is released?

1. Episode IX will end the saga that started with The Phantom Menace

21 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Episode XII will end the saga that started with The Phantom Menace

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. The Core "Saga" films will continue indefinitely

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. A New saga with a set number of episodes will start (e.g. The Old Republic eps. I-VI)

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  5. Other (please specify)

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    We all know a Sequel Trilogy is coming, but what about beyond that? What do you think will happen? What do you want to happen? Why?

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I hope the main story ends, but the chance of continuing spin-offs such as TCW remains.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wouldn't surprise me if they made it a 12 part saga.

B99 likes this.
  4. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    While I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see this saga drawn out to 12 episodes, I'm hoping they don't do that. At some point you've got to close the book and end that particular story. I'd love to see a new saga set in a different timeline starting with a brand-new Episode I. The galaxy is infinite and there are so many other eras to explore.

Dewback, TheOneX_Eleazar and Sum-Wan like this.
  5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    As long as it's done right and they have a great story to tell! But I'd rather see the potential fourth trilogy as the last. Beyond episode 12 would be way too much.

6. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I think there will be a spinoff saga from the Original. But, I hope that the Original Saga ends with IX.

7. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    If there's a story to be told, and the quality remains superior, I don't see why they can't just keep making movies. This is Disney's Golden Goose, I'm sure they will keep feeding it.

Team Padme likes this.
  8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    STAR WARS XXIV! Coming Monday, Monday, Monday!

9. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    I'm hoping they end it at 9, then after the 5 or 6 movies planned (including the spinoffs), wait a few years and then start a whole new unrelated saga based in the Old Republic or somewhere in the distant future of the galaxy.

10. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I agree - there's something about the time in between trilogies that has made the anticipation for them really magical. Some of that would be lost if we're just getting a new movie every year for the foreseeable future. Give us 7-9 and three spinoffs, then start planning a new saga set during a different era. I don't think a movie per year is necessarily a bad thing, and I think Disney will ultimately go that route and make as much money as they can from this franchise every year. As long as the quality remains high, I'm all about as much new Star Wars as possible. I just think half the fun is the "down years" between movies where the community comes together to anticipate and speculate.

Sum-Wan likes this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm not sure what I expect them to actually do, but I voted for what I hope they do: "Episode IX will end the saga that started with The Phantom Menace". I want the current Saga to be a trilogy of trilogies and end with Episode IX. After that point, I hope they just continue making stand-alone / spin-off movies. I don't want the current Saga to get dragged out beyond that, and I also don't want a new Saga storyline.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    KOTOR movies!

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    That's not canon. :p

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I will make it canon.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  16. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I have a feeling they'll end it after IX so as not to become an unfollow-able novela, but I have a feeling there will be a new "saga" to follow - probably in the Old Republic era, or equally far ahead of the new era.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I really, really hope they will end it at IX!
    I want lots and lots of spinoffs though. I know a lot of people feel this will cheapen the franchise, and maybe it will for those people. But I'm always game for another Star Wars film!
    I don't know about another "saga". I think the main three trilogies should be the "saga", but if one particular spinoff is successful - I don't see why they shouldn't/couldn't make a sequel.

I will, as I always do, mention my beloved Ewok movies - the very first spinoffs (well, apart from that Wookiee one...). The first one was a success, and then they made a (much better) sequel. That proves, to me, that it is possible to make a stand alone Star Wars movie series without it being a saga, and that doesn't steal the spotlight from the core movies.

18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    At this point anything is likely. I don't think the trilogy rules will apply and the Skywalker story or whatever this is at this point will forever be open, but then it all depends on success.

19. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'd rather a 12-part saga than an original trilogy reboot.

-Jedi Joe- and Forbidden Island like this.
  20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, yeah. Reboots of the OT or the PT weren't part of the question, but I'd take a 12-part Saga (or even a new Saga) over a reboot too.

TheOneX_Eleazar and KED12345 like this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    IMO Star Wars is something that does not need a reboot. Not because of the work itself (although it is great), but because of the enormous world in which it is set - there will always be more stories to tell.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    It definitely does not ever need to be rebooted, IMO. But let's not get too far off-track in this thread.

23. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    I voted "Other", because I kind of expect the "Episode [Roman Numeral]" system to continue indefinitely. On the other hand, I have expected the Big Three to all die off in the Sequel Trilogy since late 2012 when the new films were announced. In that sense, the "saga that started with TPM" might be considered finished. But you never know; the characters and events of the ST might wind up being pretty closely bound to the PT/OT. And obviously my assumption about all the PT/OT characters being dead by the end of the ST might not be correct.

And just as an aside: my guess has been that the numbered films will tell the "main story" of what's happening in the universe, and adhere to the traditional style of the OT and PT. The spinoffs, I imagine, will have more leeway to deviate from that style. I can at least imagine a film featuring powerful Jedi that was reminiscent of The Matrix, or maybe a film about the early days of interstellar travel in the GFFA that feels a little like 2001, or a bounty hunter-centered movie along the lines of Blade Runner. Not that any of these are great ideas necessarily, but I can imagine the filmmakers might have the freedom to do these kinds of things.

24. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Imagine the fan rage if it got rebooted. Wow. It's not going to happen until movies are replaced by Holographic Films or something like that. Plus, they're using actors from the OT, so a remake wouldn't even make sense.

Back on track, I think I would be most pleased if IX ends the saga. No need to stretch things out. Spin offs should keep Disney occupied for at least fifteen years after the ST.

EHT likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't mind at all if they continued with a new trilogy, but whether they go forward or backward in time, I'd prefer that they be done with the Skywalker saga after IX.

Let's begin a new saga after that with all new characters, in a whole different time period. Time for something fresh and new!

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.