main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Truncated Posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We've said that you are free to do so, and if you return it to the exact way it was when the save was made (as in you have an exact copy of the way it was posted here) then it will remain the same. But if you go in and edit lines you realise you didn't like or change anything from the way it was saved when the back up was made then it will of course revert back to the way it was saved. Some people don't want to go in and do that because it would be a lot of work, and that's fine. Some people have since changed some things and don't want to go back and change it again. Others have gone in and edited their stories back in. It's all up to what you want to do.

As for saving things, and then losing the physical copies. This is why it is also a good idea to back things up in other ways, email, your own website, fanfic.net, AO3, LiveJournal, etc.
    I'm very sorry for those who have lost work, I understand what that means, I've lost work due to a HD crash and it really sucks. But we warned for over a year that it was a possiblilty that things might get lost and people should prepare. We are doing our best to get that info back, and believe me I want it too... there are so many awesome stories that deserve to be read and those people may have moved on to other things or are no longer with us, but we can only do what we can do.

pronker and Todd the Jedi like this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I would go back and fix things, but we were also told that if and when the truncation issue is fixed it is unknown whether all of the question marks and other weird symbols will disappear or not. You could end up having to go back a second time and fixing everything again. When you have a 125K word story with maybe 50 chapters it will take a long time to repair everything a second time. If a computer whiz that knows the problem can say the question marks will go away along with the truncation, then I think fanfic writers might take the time to repost.

Personally I don't think it will ever be fixed. My suggestion is if a writer has their stories posted on a second site they should put the link in their signature. Another suggestion is for the moderators to allow the reposting of the story in a new thread. This way you don't have to worry about things changing.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That, I don't that we can say either way, or at least I don't know. I realise that it's a pain for those really long fics and your suggestion to linking really is the best one.

As for allowing reposts, we have been allowing that and as is the case when anything gets reposted, it should say that it is a repost and we ask that people space them out if they are doing more than one so not to overtake the entire first page.

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Two years without a fix.

What, exactly, is going on here?

Cryogenic and Ghost like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Grimby's working on it when he has time to work on it.

pronker and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. Iiridayn

Iiridayn Jedi Padawan

Oct 5, 2014
    I'm a web dev, briefly between jobs (5 years experience with PHP, MySQL, etc). Can I help? If nothing else I might commiserate.

Cryogenic, Jedi_Liz, Ghost and 3 others like this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Please

8. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    I really do hope that this is fixed. Even for our TFN family members who are know longer with us. Such as RebelMom. She was such a kind person and a fantastic writer. Went back to read some of her stories and so much was missing. To me it is not fair and disrespectful to such a special lady that was a very strong member of the TFN family. I know I miss her contribution and her kind spirit. Okay vented enough. Thanks.:)

JediSmuggler likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Great news! All anyone has to do in order to not have their posts cut off

10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Haven't we already done that joke approximately three hundred

11. Binder-lover

Binder-lover Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 3, 2003
    I recently went back to try and read fanfics and was sad when it got cut off too. :( The Internet Archive helped in some cases, but not everything--it helped with this thread, but not this one.

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Yeah... the Wayback Machine can be hit or miss. (And the truncated posts thing is being worked on. Right, mods?)

13. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    The Wayback Machine is limited as to when it crawled the site. Which is why, in some cases, you can get chapters and chapters of a fic, but then in the middle of it you get "We've moved" messages. Also, you can't search the Wayback Machine for a particular user. (Which is why I haven't recovered fics of mine. I think I printed them out, but I haven't found them in the physical realm either.)

But Internet Archive is right on the frontier of doing digital preservation and web archiving. They're pretty cool people.

Binder-lover and pronker like this.
  14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    You all do realize the truncated posts are never coming back by this point, right?

15. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    We are True Believers. We believe that honest effort is being made. Life is sweeter that way. :)

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I suppose we could ask Big Brother for a copy. It's not like they haven't saved every dumb thing we have ever posted over the internet.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    That's the most likely case, but I think most of us would like an official recognition from the mods of that so we can kill off whatever last remaining shreds of hope we may have.

So how about it mods? Can we finally have an answer one way or another? Please?

JediSmuggler likes this.
  18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Please don't be that cruel. Let me hope for them to be recovered until the day that I die.

pronker, JediSmuggler, Ghost and 2 others like this.
  19. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    I feel the same way. I almost wish the mods/admins would just come out and say "sorry, we tried but it looks like it's never going to happen" than to keep stringing us along. :(

JediSmuggler and Rew like this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Guys... your posts are gone. Move on, and save your work in a way that you can access it, moving forward.

21. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Mods?? [face_dunno]

I found a couple of my stories on the wayback machine, which was a total rush! But of course, my favorite one is nowhere to be found....

Any news? Words? Ideas? Thoughts? [face_nail_biting][face_nail_biting][face_nail_biting][face_nail_biting][face_nail_biting][face_nail_biting]

[face_good_luck] Irish

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but when I was last in MS the situation was "technically we should be able to get them back, but we don't know how." I got the impression that Grimby was optimistic, insomuch that they did exist, or at least theoretically should have been moved with everything else, but that for one reason or another that was not determined by the time that I left, the Xenforo boards just weren't showing them.

If that's top secret MS news, mods feel free to edit at will. I figure this is such old news that it's probably obsolete. At that time I recall Grimby and others were actively working on it, because they really did think those posts could be saved.

DaenaBenjen42, jcgoble3 and pronker like this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay... everybody repeat after me... FLASH DRIVE.

... or if you want to use being old as an excuse... FLOPPY DISC

24. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999

I also feel strung along - and hurt by this. There were a couple of RoundRobin fanfics I was involved in ("Reception Following Weapons Check at the Door" and "Forget the Present, Just Give Him the Box"). While a number of my posts are saved, the other parts of the fic are chopped up.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Hurt? They have no control over this. I'm sure they've tried to fix it... obviously they haven't been able to.

It's probably time to own that, MS. Let these people know you tried but failed (failing isn't the end of the world... it happens), so they can move on, and the thread can be closed.

Edit, I feel I should clarify... I'm not condemning MS for 'failing.' Technology is unreliable. You did what you could, and were unable to fix the issue. Again, it's not the end of the world. I think it's now time to let these people know, so that they can get over it and move on.