main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars Episode VII-IX - What are Your Biggest Fears?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by dolphin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I'll start: The sequel trilogy will be overly self-referential. Too many nostalgic nods.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well the thing is with SW, it's hard to tell the difference between a self-reference and a poetic rhyme/mirror. A lot of that is also up to perception.

My biggest fear.... hm.... I highly doubt it despite George's comments, but it would be that his story isn't used in any capacity. For me, no George Lucas = no Star Wars.

3. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    That the films suck.

4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    My greatest fear is that they'll try to distance themselves from the PT stuff so much that EpVII is essentially a re-do of the OT.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This exactly.

I am really hoping they connect more with the saga as a WHOLE. Say what you will about Hayden's acting and Jar-Jar's slapstick, but Episodes I-III are great stories, representing a grander, more romantic (read: less war-torn) era, and have some great action/beautiful scenery and envoronments and definately retain that "SW feel" that everyone's so obsessed with from the OT, there's no denying. Those episodes deserve their place in the SW saga. Don't ignore them just to recreate the OT.

It's funny how these website/article writers refer to the saga as if people only loved the SW movies of the 80's, but they're wrong-each of the prequels (except perhaps AOTC) were the highest grossing films of any film for years on either side-and the PT is responsible for a whole new generation of fans emerging. That deserves some recognition IMO, when it comes to making this new trilogy.

6. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Rehash
    No connection to the star wars saga
    No star wars feel
    Some stupid retcon ... etc.

7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    Right? I mean, Episode I isn't actually my favorite, but I still watch it whenever I watch the movies.
    That said, it IS my daughter's favorite episode. She absolutely LOVES Jar-Jar.
    To be quite honest, I'd put each of the prequels in the league of the originals.
    RotS is every bit as good as ESB. Whenever anyone asks me which is my favorite episode, I can never decide between the two.
    I actually liked AotC. I know I could get shot around these parts for saying it, but I'd put it in league with ANH.
    And TPM/RotJ? They're the SAME movie. (Band of heroes fights on multiple fronts with the help of a native population to save a group of rebels.)

8. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

This.

And I'm worried I won't like it as much as I liked the now "Legends" Bantam era EU. I grew up with the OT and Bantam EU, and I was quite happy with that. Never thought I-III or VII-IX would ever happen. I enjoyed the prequels, but they fell flat for me on many accounts. I really have very mixed feelings about the sequels. I'm really excited there are going to be more Star Wars movies, but I'm afraid they won't live up to my expectations.

9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Everyone else already said it.
    Also, that there will be some kind of connection to Earth. Lucas and Abrams and whomever else are creative charismatic people so they might try to come up with a connection that seems like a good idea.
    I worry the result will provoke more bashing of Star Wars, especially legitimate bashing. I think a large part of me prefers to associate Star Wars-in-the-movies with the early '80s.

10. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm worried they'll purposely limit their creativity in order to please nostalgia-blinded fanboys. They won't try anything new, they'll just rehash the OT and everyone will laud it for "bringing back Star Wars" despite having no identity of its own.

Regardless of what you think of the PT, they brought new ideas and themes to Star Wars, and hugely expanded the scale. I suspect the ST will try and keep things small and personal, at the cost of an epic feel. The OT was epic and personal at the same time (though I'd argue the PT was as well, but that's another issue). I fear there will be no sense of danger to the Galaxy as a whole, or a Galaxy-wide conflict - only the main heroes.

11. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Certainly in retrospect TPM wasn't that great, but by golly, I saw that eight times in the theater!
    I say RotS is better.
    I look at these upcoming movies like this: the filmmakers can see what things we liked, and didn't like about the previous bunch of movies. Sure they weren't perfect movies, but they were entertaining, and I went multiple times for each.

I fear that whatever expectations we have about the movies, that they won't be good enough.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    That they won't know when to stop making episodes.

13. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    Psht, noob. I saw it 19! :p

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Too much Jedi/Sith/Force stuff. Show non force users.
    Too little of roles for the OT Big 3 and unsatisfying send-offs for them.

Dewback, Darth-Horax and Darth_Pevra like this.
  15. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    My fears are all story related. I want a story that is very original and so it needs to not be as formulaic as previous Star Wars films have been. I wouldn't want to be watching the movie and be able to guess what's gonna happen next. Also, I want it to not retcon anything from the original trilogy in order to favor this trilogy. And no plot holes, please.
    That said, I am quite confident that the movie will succeed and my fears will not be realized.

Dewback and Forbidden Island like this.
  16. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    That it will be all sizzle, no steak.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    One fear I have is that they don't stay true to the characters.
    Like if they made Luke a dark sider, or had Han and Leia not be a couple, or Han not have the Falcon, etc.
    Thankfully, I'm sure they're not that crazy :p

Otherwise - Earth or time travel. Dear Dog God no!

18. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    this

19. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I'm also afraid the new films will include too many nods and callbacks to the OT. I don't want any lines referencing power converters at Tosche Station or anything like that.

20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    My biggest fear would probably be not getting to see them.

21. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

You know, one of the things that have always frustrated me about people that say they dislike the PT, is that many of those people would spend much of their time complaining about what all was wrong with it, but then STILL go BACK to see it AGAIN-sometimes several more times!!!

Call me nutz, 8-} call me crazee, :eek: but IMO if a person went to see a movie multiple times, that would seem to me like they DID like it! No movie is perfect, so that's not what I'm talking about but, seriously?!

If that goes on again with TFA (which we all KNOW will be just buried under a PILE of ridiculously high and unrealistic expectations), I will just want to stand up in the theatre and say to those yahoos:

"This is your 3rd viewing now, so stop your bitchin!!" :p

22. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I saw TPM 8x in 14 days when it came out. It wasn't until afterward, while reading the fanboy hate online that the issues I have with it now became glaringly obvious. At the time, while watching the movie (despite seeing someone snoring in the theater and others obviously bored), I didn't know it was bad. I understood the need for a character like Jar Jar because you had to cater to the kids and you needed comic relief. He didn't bother me until after I saw what others were saying and that's when the fog cleared.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I wish we could like posts more than once, as these are my biggest concerns. I've enjoyed every Abrams movie that I've seen though so hopefully he will do well, and I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will.

Jedi knight Pozzi likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Huh... To each their own of course, but personally I prefer to form my own opinions of movies, and if people disagree with me - well, that's not going to change my mind.
    But this seems to be the case a lot - people suddenly start hating TPM (or the new Star Trek movies, or The Hobbit movies, or whatever) after they've been influenced by others. I'm just glad my brain doesn't allow me to do that. I choose what I hate for myself :p

EDIT: It just occured to me that you might be ironic... in that case - move along. Move along.
    ;)

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

TigerCraneFist,

I was about to say the same myself. I have never let an opinion or negative reaction of someone else change whether or not I like a movie. If I have already decided I like it, no person would be able to change that. If anything, it would only work the other way around-growing to like a movie more over time. That has happened to me many times!