main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion New Canon Materials (Rebels, Comics, Novels, etc.)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by hippie1kenobi, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Better to get started early imo.

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Dunno. Maybe. On the one hand, I can see them being quite similar to the comics - they give us a new story with characters we already know, but do little to truly move forward. On the other hand, if Kanan is hanging around Mos Eisley in a post-ROTJ comic, well, that's a pretty big hint that he'll be in the movie, won't it? I'm torn. I'll probably wait for some other spoiler-free sap to read them and get the all clear before reading them myself. That way, if there is a spoiler, well, it doesn't get spoiled for me. =)

3. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Journey to The Force Awakens is a great move on Disney's part. I'll bet they're hoping these books (and other stuff) will satisfy info-hungry, spoiler hunting star wars fans for the time being.

EDIT: Look like on the official website, they've announced some of the titles. If you don't want to know them, stay clear. If you do, check 'em out at the link.

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is good to know. To me anything that takes away from the unknown and the curiosity during the first viewing is a spoiler.

5. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I'm feeling really torn about this. On one hand, I know no plot points from the movie will be revealed in the books, so it's not like I'm actually spoiling the movie for myself. On the other hand, part of the mystique of the movie for me has always been what the state of the galaxy is post-ROTJ, so I'd kind of like to experience that for the first time when I'm in the theater in December. You obviously won't need to read the books to fully understand the movie or any of that context (LFL isn't expecting everyone who sees the movie to read these things), so my "just wait" side might win this time.

There's also the added element, like EHT said, of these books not being considered spoilers by LFL and Disney. That may make avoiding the plot points and galaxy context of them really hard to avoid via social media and other outlets. If I'm just going to find out the details anyway, may as well read them myself and not on Twitter.

As you can see, I'm torn.

Forbidden Island and EHT like this.
  6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    I don't know, some of those titles look pretty spoiler-y to me. I mean, I'll pick them up, but I'll read them on 12/19.

7. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    To me, the movies are always the heart of the SW franchise, so the proof of the pudding will be in the viewing in December. That said, I am really pretty stoked with so much of what SW has been doing lately. It's been so much fun and with the official announcements of the rumored books for this fall and the first spinoff, I am really getting amped up about stuff.

And think, the hype machine is barely getting started. :D

Skellybobs likes this.
  8. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [face_worried]

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  9. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    You can do it Frank T.

Just avoid the soundtracks and you're golden. ;-)

All kidding aside the other books, comics and stuff provide a nice SW fix so that going spoiler-free isn't as hard. December will be here in no time.

Skellybobs likes this.
  10. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't mind the waiting. Though I might check out a couple of the recent comics, the hard part for me will be that the only two television shows I watch are on the mickey mouse network. I'm gunna hafta to be running out the room before commerials in November and December.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Let me know how good these books are, boys. :p

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Your best bet is to avoid any books with narratives and just read the Making of Episode VII, Art of Episode VII and Character Guide to Episode VII.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

Oh man, that seems totally spoileriffic to me! Character guide? Artwork? Why not just read the novelization at that point?!?

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Not looking, I haven't seen ROTJ yet. [face_talk_hand] :p

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Some of those titles are quite intriguing. They also point toward an emphasis on certain SW elements that make me very happy and hopeful of the tone and perspective of TFA.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Those guide books wouldn't give away as much information as actual stories would, but what I think LFL is saying wouldn't contain real spoilers are the "Journey to Episode 7" books... not the Episode 7 novelization itself. That would obviously contain more spoilers than those other lead-in books. But if one were truly wanting to be spoiler-free, it would probably make the most sense to avoid all the books, including the guides. A guide about characters, for example, could give away quite a bit, especially if it's specifically for characters of Ep. 7.

18. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    If I buy the sticker book, but place the stickers in the wrong place, would that negate any spoilers.

This droid is totally a vong sith lord (I cheated and used crayons, too).

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I always interpreted this new material to simply be telling us what is going on between ROTJ and TFA. But nothing to allude to what will actually occur IN TFA. It will just let us know where things are at when we come into it. I suppose I could see the value of not knowing that until seeing TFA either...

I for one am super excited to read that book Aftermath that will be coming out!

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  20. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Yeah. Should be fun. I love that a 'sweeping cast' of new characters can be expected too. The idea of a vast galaxy with an equally exponential amount of colorful personalities wasn't nearly explored enough imo throughout the 'Legends' universe. Hopefully, hopefully there will be a character in the foreseeable future that becomes as iconic as Mara, Talon, Thrawn, etc. though.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, with the introducing of such solid characters as Kanan and Hera in Rebels, I find it easy to be convinced that they definately have the ability to introduce some memorable new characters!

22. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    September seems like a long ways away to announce this...I'm so tempted to read this! Aside from "Heir to the Empire" and "Dark Empire" we didn't have much to work with trying to visualize what happened after Endor. And now those have been cast to the Legends banner, and we can forget all about 'em! :p

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  23. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I don't think there's any way I'll be able to keep myself from reading Aftermath before the film comes out. It's inevitable.

TheYodaPagoda and DARTH_BELO like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed, I am so stoked that we will have some kind of storyline leading up to TFA. I've always wanted to know what happens JUST after ROTJ, and it will be even more exciting to see how things can connect between Aftermath and TFA. IMO it increases the enjoyment of the movie, knowing some additional backstory and little detail elements. Tarkin did just this for when I watch ANH now-when I see Tarkin in there, things have much more meaning, knowing his history and his previous relationships with Palpatine and Vader.

Totes. I am in the middle of reading the second book of the Harry Potter series, and, knowing it will likely take me a year to finish the remaining five books, I will HAVE to stop after finishing one at some point, in order to read Aftermath when it comes out! :-B

25. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I really should get started reading that!

DARTH_BELO likes this.