main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Should the classics be restored to canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kez-Iban, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    At least in my opinion, I don't really see anything in the Holiday Special Boba Fett cartoon or Droids story lines that should exclude them from canon. As for the Holiday Special itself, since LFL barely acknowledges it, I think that pretty much excludes it from canon. But since the Boba Fett cartoon was included on the BluRay release, and it's basic story premise doesn't really seem any more far fetched than any of the other post ANH stories in the canon Marvel comics, I don't see a real reason for it to be excluded from canon. Same thing with Droids. Even though C-3PO and R2 were seen with Bail Organa in Rebels, there is still a large time period between Episodes III and IV where the events of Droids could have happened. I'm not familiar enough with the Ewoks movies to know if there are enough reasons for them to be disqualified from canon, but I'm leaning toward the Ewoks cartoon remaining Legends. Characters, like Logray for instance, just don't seem like the same characters that we see in Return of the Jedi. Any thoughts on this?

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Either all or none.

Do not knock the Ewoks cartoon until you have carefully, carefully watched it. It was way ahead of its time.

There is an on-screen death of a major villain, a couple of other deaths implied.

While there had to be censorship, some torture and cruelty is implied as well; had there not been restrictions, the cartoon would have been the cutest horror on TV.

The kindest and most gentle character in the series is not a baby, toddler, a teenage girl or somebody parent, but a teenage boy. I have no idea of a modern cartoon where this is the case.

There are some incredibly strong female characters. I'd take a princess who actually does stuff over those who are just royals, anyday.

A lot of other "rules" are reversed - a girl is openly chasing a boy, the lead character is seen crying at least once, the biggest villain is a deliberate sadist.

There are strong connections with myths and legends that might just blow an older watcher away.

Sunstar vs. Shadowstone is one of the most mindblowing episodes of any cartoon, ever. The narrative is relatively simple, but the emotions are overwhelming.

Some voice actors, notably Cree Summer, Eric Peterson, Paulina Gillis and the late Jackie Burrougs have given some incredible performances there.

The three lead characters are more or less parallels to the Big Three in terms of their basic traits.

Also, there is nothing wrong with cartoon Logray, he is a lot like Dumbledore there.

The second season may be kinda camp, but the first season is a masterpiece. It has aged incredibly well and it's still relevant.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Movie Logray is portrayed as something of a villain in tie-in media - someone who wields dark powers, sacrifices people, has Wicket ostracised, and so forth - until everyone finally revolts against him and he's driven from the village:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Logray

Logray took a turn towards darkness as he aged. When Wicket spoke out against Logray's increased use of the "Dark Rituals," Logray banished Wicket from participation in all of the rituals. It was Logray who ordered the sacrifice of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, and R2-D2 to honor "the Golden One" (C-3PO).

After the Battle of Endor, Logray was exposed as a coward and a bully. Chirpa ousted Logray, appointing Paploo in his place. Furious, Logray retaliated by placing a curse on the village, Paploo enlisted the aid of "the Golden One" in a ritual to remove the curse. Logray went into exile, and the Ewoks refused to speak his name ever again. He was even stricken from the village "Songs of Remembrance" as though he never existed.

4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That RPG book pretty much destroyed everything else and, while I want to write a story that would put things in their right place, I'm not a fan, to say the least.

Not a fan of the Wicket Mary Sue type of a thing. He lost so much within such a short time, he just couldn't have got out of all that without being kinda insane for a while.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They were extrapolating a bit from the whole "main course at a banquet in my honor" thing, I would guess.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I'd definitely restore Droids. I watched it before Rebels started as a sort of lead-in and it felt very natural. Even moreso when you consider the Star Tours episode. The dating of events would have to be futzed around with a tad (C3PO and R2 return to Bail sooner, obviously), but even in the old timeline, the last Droids comic ends 6 months to one year before Rebels begins and doesn't mess with anything.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

BRB, I'm becoming the king of Sealand, because I was born there; and decontaminating the Chernobyl zone, because I am totally qualified for it.

(This is not against you, but yeah, I don't get their "logic"...)

Yup, and totally ignoring the cartoon.

Do be quet, I am having grandiose delusions here: the story I came up with should be canon.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Logray came across as a pretty nice guy in the Ewok Adventures live-action movies as well. I can definitely see why a "fall to the dark side" for him would annoy a lot of people.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That's only half of the problem.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I say no because there are several contradictions in them so no for me.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Does not count if you don't explain.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Here is the biggest one droids

The droids should be in antillese hands but there not so how does that work.

Also not a lot of people like the classics so I doubt they would do it.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We've already seen them separated from him on a temporary basis, in Rebels. Why not a slightly longer one?

Even if they don't actually recanonize them, I'd like to see a proper Ewoks DVD release - original music, right order, no cuts. Droids as well would be nice.

14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Classics? You mean the Clone Wars microseries right. :D

Orman Tagge likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Yes to both. Plus, it's our memories, I don't care if somebody thinks they're sub-par. 24K cels went into each episode.

And both Stewart Copeland and Taj Mahal's themes as full-quality mp3s and wavs.

Once again, why the animosity? Other than the classic "Star Wars fans hate Star Wars" argument?

If some people don't like something, others do and we can all live together in peace.

P.S. Love Genndy's work, but there are other threads about it. ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Speaking of Ewoks, y'know something? Disney's baby-with-bathwatering of the EU means that the Endor Holocaust is back!

There was a comic or novel came out that said it didn't happen, and explained that this was because the majority of the Death Star's mass was sucked into a wormhole temporarily created by the energy released in the destruction of its power core, and was deposited in some remote part of space. The remaining fragments were tractored out of the way by the Rebel fleet before they could devastate the planet.

But with that (whatever it was) thrown out with the rest... it seems we're left with Mr. Saxton's unfortunate conclusion on the fate of the Ewoks restored to full inevitability.

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  18. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I am not trolling.

Perhaps I should add more to the thread though, in retrospect.

I'd love to see Ewoks and Droids come back. Not so much the Holiday Special which is pretty much horrible. SW is well rid of that. It was barely canon (or possibly just not canon) anyway even before Disney, because Lucas hated the thing and had disowned it. IIRC he once said that if he had the power to find and destroy every copy on earth, he would.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You are. If you don't like it, just don't read it, plain and simple.

20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I enjoyed Droids, but its continuity is too awkward to fit in between ROTS and Rebels, unless C-3PO and R2 got lost for a few months or years from Antilles or Bail. But even that you have to be careful with. I'm in favor of Rebels reintroducing characters from old Marvel and the old cartoons - even a Jaxxon-like character was on TCW and some kenner style figures appeared as background characters.

Kassius Konstantine likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No need to bandy about accusations of trolling, people.

22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    No animosity intended.

23. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    This is a tricky question. I agree with Ewok Poet that these shows really were excellent, but there's no denying that they are a bit disconnected from the feel of Star Wars - for understandable reasons, of course, but still.

I'd say, give us a proper Blue-Ray release of ALL the Classics, but keep it Legends.

24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't think Disney is going to release this. I've said it before if anyone wanted to do this they would have done many years ago. I think that its for the birds. Everything now is about new canon, new star wars sequels that deviates from the prequels in every way, plus spin off movies, a second season of rebels and battlefront video game.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The movie shows, from the air, big areas of forest, shortly after the DS2 went up. No hints of there being only a tiny patch of shielded forest, surrounded by burnt wasteland blasted by the detonation.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.