main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Should the classics be restored to canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kez-Iban, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This thread clearly asks "Should the classics be restored to canon?" and not "Was there such a thing as 'Endor Holocaust'?" So, if we, the fans of classic, need a save haven as if we were into some dodgy fetishes, that's not a good practice. And most of us are people who were born before the market (I hate using that word) was saturated with low-quality blocky animation and. naturally, we hold these things dear to our hearts and we mean it. Mining our discussion with the cheesiest and ugliest things the basement nerds ever came up with is not nice.

Moreover, I find it somewhat heartbreaking that you're so quick to respond to this, yet you have been ignoring a question I asked one month ago? That hints you are holding a side on this and it somewhat stigmatises us who like the classics and since one classic has been stigmatised more than others, you're making me feel unwelcome to a certain extent.

I guess I will go ahead and just make my thread...if you have not said no for a month, then it's a yes.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  3. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Dude (or dudette), you told/asked another poster to go and troll elsewhere, that is an accusation of trolling... and it is unnecessary, frankly. Don't play the victim card if people turn out not to really give much of a damn about what were never and will never be important parts of any canon, ever.

To keep it on thread... no, they should not be made back into canon. The 'old EU' has quite rightly been declared obsolete and non-canonical in its entirety, there is certainly nothing about these that makes them exempt to that. And once someone says 'it's all non-canon... except these bits' then other fans are going to quite rightly start asking why shouldn't THEIR favourite bits be exempt from the Legends retcon.

All or nothing. I vote all.

Kassius Konstantine likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Everybody is allowed to like what they like without those who don't like jumping in just for the sake of hating it.

Also, the first paragraph of this is patronising, rude, almost in the Reddit-like tone.

5. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    My intention in creating this topic was just to ask a simple question. That's all.

6. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    The involvement from Lucas in Ewoks, Droids, and the Ewok movies already makes them canon in my book. I think a couple cameos in Rebels would work nicely - perhaps Screed and Thall Jobens crew.

Vorax and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Screed's already appeared in the newcanon novel Tarkin at least.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Kassius Konstantine

Kassius Konstantine Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2015
    Both shows were cute and good for their time. I personally believe Ewoks holds up quite well even today, but why should they be canon?

The shows are not going to be any better or worse by granting them canonicity, but it would uncessarily limit the freedoms of writers of future stories (especially on-screen stories). And sorry, I do not think the Ewoks&Droid stories lines were that amazing.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I can see that Droids could mildly contradict canon, even though I have an impression that the story team for Rebels may try to make their series consistent with Droids; but Ewoks? Other than those four silly beings in charge of seasons on Endor and a couple of odd items making useless appearances in the second season's stories; I don't see anything that would contradict the established mythology, characters et cetera. The Morag story arch, despite simple storytelling, contains four incredible episodes with great character development and some good messages overall.

I personally believe Ewoks holds up quite well even today - This is what I expanded on in the second post in this thread, in a nutshell. Glad that you see it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's cool. Canon can often be a contentious topic, drawing lines between the fanbase.

And Ewok Poet people are allowed to go off on tangents, as long as they at least partially relate to the thread and don't derail the discussion. The post in question talked about canon and Endor, both of which tie into the thread subject.

I don't mean to make anyone feel unwelcome. I sometimes miss threads that subsequently fall to another page due to few posts within. As mods, we're more apt to respond to a PM than a one-off thread. As it is, I'll lock your request thread and let you make a new thread just for Ewoks.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Todd the Jedi This sounds much better, so sorry if I directed any hostility at you for a bunch of loosely connected reasons. Thank you. :)

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I like the classics excluding the holiday special and I think they should get BR realsed but not made back into Canon because they don't feel starwarsy enough for me.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I would like Teek to appear and others from the Endor movies, I always did enjoy those shows,lol.

Iron_lord and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Speaking about Ewoks, Droids and both the Ewok movies, unless they directly contradict the current visual media canon (the movie saga, TCW and Rebels), why not give them back their canon status? They are relatively harmless and there's definitely some good stuff in them.

Iron_lord and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They don't contradict anything yet but don't be surprised if some stuff later does.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I absolutely think the classics should be reinstated into the canon.
    I know the argument "but then people would want [insert favorite EU work here] reinstated as well", and I see the point. The difference, IMHO, is that the animated shows and the Ewok movies are just that: shows and movies. Star Wars is first and foremost stories told through audiovisual media*, and therefore it feels wrong to not have every Star Wars movie be canon.

However, I don't think every aspect of the shows should be made canon. Not literally anyway. C-3PO never blinks, Stormtroopers have actual blasters, and Ewoks don't speak basic (until they learn some from the Towanis that is [face_thinking] ). These are obvious examples of course, but I think you see what I mean. I don't think think Artoo was ever shrunken to the size of a mouse.

The Holiday Special is a special case, also. It's probably best to let that stay as far away from canon as possible. It's. Just. So. Bad.
    Though I still want a DVD release, dammit! :p

*With this I mean movies and TV-shows, even though videogames are technically audiovisual media as well. So let's go with non-interactive audiovisual media (the live-action cutscenes in Jedi Knight and Rebel Assault II are still in my personal canon though :p ).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I see your point. It is weird having TV shows that aren't a part of canon. However, I think that TCW versus the 2003 microseries sort of invalidates your point (not that it's not a good point, but that Lucasfilm doesn't see it how you do).

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, agreed, and that's why the classics aren't canon!
    But I'm also a firm believer that the microseries should be canon as well. It fits pretty well with TCW, since they don't really overlap (I'm sure they would have if TCW wasn't cancelled, but since it was...).

19. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Oh absolutely agreed on that point. The microseries is a masterpiece and it bridges the gap between Episodes 2 and 3 almost flawlessly.

Ewok Poet and TigerCraneFist like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

This is my reasoning as well, TCW/CW being the only exception, but if they retconned pretty much any single thing, ever, there has got to be a way to do this, too.

Also, seeing that many people misinterpret my all or none post from the first page; I was talking about precisely what you just said - all TV shows.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Currently the Official Fact File Legends magazine operates using both TCW and CW content. While squeezing all of season 1 and the beginning of season 2 (except the Nelvaan arc and the siege of Coruscant) into the gap between AOTC and TCW Season 1 is a tight fit, they seemed to cope.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. The4thSniporr

The4thSniporr Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2014
    Not a fan of the idea.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just release the classics on DVD.

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Indeed!
    Now is a perfect time for it too. Star Wars is once again big on TV with Rebels, and the hype for The Force Awakens is soon to kick in for real. A lot of kids will want everything Star Wars they can get their hands on, and a lot of nostalgic/completist fans such as ourselves will want them too.
    I mean, how much would it cost to restore the two shows and give them a decent DVD release? Not a lot (by industry standards obviously). Will it sell huge numbers? No, but it will make its money back, and also earn Disney/Lucas-less Lucasfilm some goodwill points in the eyes of the fans.

I could go for a better release of the Ewok movies as well. The double-sided disc gives me a headache, since I always seem to put it in the wrong way.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think Droids should be restored to Canon but not Ewoks because Ewoks just has so many elements that don't fit in with Star Wars

I am glad it is not Canon.