main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Disney/Lucasfilm Animated Movie: Strange Magic

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Sword_Of_Goliath, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Personally, Strange Magic doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I'd much rather watch the version of Willow for which Jean "Moebius" Giraud (a lead artist on Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune) did concept art.

Sex! Violence! Nudity! And lots more mythological references!

I mean, making films for children is all well and good. But they have to grow up sometime, right?

"All children, except one, grow up."
    --JM Barrie, Peter and Wendy (later adapted by Disney as the 1953 animated film Peter Pan)

Animated films for adults would be a whole new untapped market... assuming the Disney executives don't object.

But after all, isn't that why they have the Touchstone Pictures label?

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    This looks embarrassingly bad.

Heero_Yuy and Howard Hand like this.
  3. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014

Thank you for your intelligent contribution to this discussion. Of course if you watch the original 1976 trailer for Star Wars it also looks "embarrassingly bad" too. But who actually needs to watch a movie before commenting on it?

El Jedi Colombiano and KenW like this.
  4. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012

Umm, wow defensive much? A trailer can be pretty indicative of a film's quality if you know what to look for. Why would I waste my time watching something so clearly terrible?

Sorry, apparently only blind Lucas-worship is allowed in this thread?

Heero_Yuy and Howard Hand like this.
  5. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014

No but thoughtful input is preferred over worthless swill like "looks bad".

DartJackson and KenW like this.
  6. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow, dude what is your problem? Like what you post is so incredibly thoughtful... Sorry I insulted your precious hero.

Something tells me if someone had just posted "Oh this looks great!", you wouldn't have jumped down their throats and told them what they said is "worthless swill." Seriously who even says stuff like that.

The film has a 19% on RT and 24% on Metacritic. It was also a box office failure. Obviously you are just defensive.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I wouldn't hold that as evidence of anything other than that it wasn't a commercial success.

DartJackson and KenW like this.
  8. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    If it was just the box office, I would agree with you. But that combined with the critical consensus and my own thoughts on the trailer and clips is enough evidence for me

9. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    It's out there though, why not watch it instead of speculating on if it looks good or not?

DartJackson, KenW and EternalHero like this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Also known as...

It's always a small number of people who share the same opinion. Opinions which are subjective by default.

KenW likes this.
  11. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012

Of course opinions on films are subjective. But when a film has an anemic 19% on RT, that's a terrible sign. I don't think there are too many films with such a low score that are actually good.

And it's not "always a small number of people who share the same opinion." Critics are divided on films all the time and there are tons of them. Not all opinions are completely subjective. There is no way you could convince me that The Godfather isn't objectively better than Birdemic.

But I guess the vast majority of critics and the moviegoing audience are all wrong and this is secretly an amazing film!

Well, first of all, I have limited money and time, so I don't really have the desire to spend money and two hours on something I know is going to be terrible.

Also, I'm not really just speculating at this point. If I had seen nothing of the film you may have a point. But I have seen trailers and clips. If I listen to one song of an album and it's terrible, I'm probably not going to listen to whole thing just to make sure unless there's some reason to think otherwise. This is also the director's first film, so it's not he's a proven director that I would give some benefit of the doubt to.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It means 19% of the small amount of people being acknowledged gave a positive review.

To whom? To define them as 'good' or 'bad' is subjective.

The statistical population/universe these ratings sites are based on are always small.

Couldn't agree more. Even those considered to be "universally" acclaimed.

KenW and EternalHero like this.
  13. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Even if the critics' opinions are worthless, I can still look at the trailers and clips and judge for myself. If I thought a film looked terrible but it got good reviews or made a bunch of of money, I might think the trailer was just misleading. But when everything aligns like that, I feel no need to waste two hours of my life just to make sure.

It would be one thing if this movie just got a 40 or 50%, but a 19% is somewhat uncommon.

Or if it was just a minor flop as opposed to a colossal failure. For Pete's sake it broke a record for lowest grossing animated film in wide release.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Sure, you can judge the trailers and clips by looking at them. Also, I never said the "critics" opinions are worthless. I said they are subjective.

190/366. Like I said, not a commercial success.

KenW likes this.
  15. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    "Not a commercial success" is putting it mildly. I never said that not making a lot of money automatically makes the film bad.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Saying that it "broke a record for lowest grossing animated film in wide release" is putting it harshly.

It ranks 190 out of 366. Not that it matters in terms of content.

17. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012

I got my information from this article, is it misleading in some way? I didn't just make that up myself. Perhaps I misspoke and it's merely a record breaking opening?

http://www.rotoscopers.com/2015/02/...st-grossing-animated-feature-in-wide-release/

Also, "Strange Magic opened in seventh place with an estimated $5.5 million, which makes it the all-time worst-opening ever for an animated film in 3000+ theaters, as well as the 7th-worst opening for any film playing in 3000+ theaters."

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/disneys-strange-magic-has-record-breaking-bad-debut-108271.html

18. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    ^ This
    It looks like a combination of all of the worst elements of bad children's movies. Plus, the animation is creepy.

kubricklynch likes this.
  19. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    I still don't get why people are making assumptions and speculating. The movie has been out in theaters for months. See the damn thing now, or wait until May 19th if it has left theaters in your area. Lack of time and money is a bad excuse. A movie ticket is not breaking the bank, especially with a matinee show.

I just don't understand how somebody who spends a lot of time on a Lucasfilm message board can go into a back and forth conversation about a movie they haven't seen when that movie is in theaters right now and has been since January.

DartJackson and EternalHero like this.
  20. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not making assumptions and speculating. I am basing my opinion off trailers and clips from the movie. I don't necessarily need to see an entire film to have any sort of opinion on it. For example, I don't need to sit down and watch another Twilight film to know that they are most likely terrible. If it was some art house film you may have a point.

Plus, do you honestly think this is still in theaters? It probably hasn't been in a theater in my city in months. It flopped massively so I doubt many theaters kept it for long. And your comment about "lack of time and money is a bad excuse" is ridiculous. I don't need an "excuse" to not go see a horrific movie. I could think of so many better things to spend my time and money on. If I'm going to use my free time to go see a movie at the theaters it's going to be something that might be halfway decent.

21. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Then there is no point discussing the movie with you. I've seen it, you haven't. You seem to have all the time in the world to argue about it, but you have no time to see it.

22. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok, well don't discuss the movie with me. I don't recall asking you to. Again, it isn't even about time. It is literally impossible for me to see the movie right now legally. Plus all the time I have spent posting about the film would add up to like 15 minutes while I am at work (can't really be going to movies while I'm at work). All I did was post one sentence and then I have the Lucas defense brigade jumping down my throat and rudely telling me my opinions are thoughtless swill(seriously, who does that?).

And so we can only discuss movies we have seen in their entirety? I guess we should just shut down the Episode 7 board.

23. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    Episode 7 hasn't been released yet. In January 2016 if you post "This looks like garbage based on the trailer" on that Forum you'd likely get a similar response. People who have seen this film are discussing it - positive and negative - what you posted added nothing to the discussion.

DartJackson, KenW and Darth_Harmon like this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Strange Magic Is finally playing at my Local discount theater when I get back from my trip from Florida I will definitely see It !!!!!!!!!!

KenW likes this.
  25. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Can't wait to see it again on digital download. This movie is very much in the spirit of the Star Wars saga. Pure Lucas magic. It's actually like Star Wars, American Grafitti and Willow all in one. I just wish there were some figures to collect, but I suppose the ability to pause on the amazing environments will do. The entrance to the Bog King's castle looks so tangible. Tip for people judging by critics and perception. Disney influences critics and your perception with how much PR they do. Disney botched this release on purpose. Nuff said.

EternalHero likes this.