main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVII Wearing alternative fashion to a SW Convention?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Antlers, Apr 7, 2015.

?

Alternative Fashion at Celebration?

1. Yes, I love seeing other fashions on the con floor!

87.5%
  2. Hmm, I don't know what to think about this. I'm inclined to say 'no'.

12.5%
  3. Hmm, I don't know what to think about this. I'm inclined to say 'yes'.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, not appropriate. Attendees should only dress in the spirit of Star Wars.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Me don't care about fashion. Me wear burlap and barrel.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Hello!

I plan on wearing my officer's uniform to Celebration this year, but when I don't want to look like a spacenazi, I'll be bringing along other clothing, most of which people would classify as "alternative". My significant other is concerned that I'm going to receive a lot of flack for it. For instance, one of my outfits is a beautiful, but bright and slightly garish, lolita-type outfit, and my partner is concerned that most people attending the convention will sneer. I'll also be wearing 40s-50s vintage (all the way down to seamed stockings and victory rolls).

Now, please don't tell me the classic "You can wear whatever you want". I realize that. My question is - how often do you see alternative fashion at SW/Sci-fi conventions, and how are those people received? Do you scoff and give it your best Tarkin eye-roll, or enjoy it?

I plan on wearing my outfits, but I'm curious as to other's perceptions and tastes on this issue.

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    You'll stand out! Vintage style is always cool in my book!

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    You haven't seen any of the latest Her Universe fashions, have you? The line she's putting out for Celebration has a lot of vintage pieces in it. There are a lot of Star Wars fangirls who dress in vintage/alternative styles. People won't sneer. If they do, they're dumb.

4. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    Have you seen what someone dressed up as an Anime girl wear? That's right you can't. I do believe that Celebration is more oriented towards the family crowd as opposed to SDCC or DragonCon. I think you would get sneered at if you're costume wasn't Star Wars based. I have seen people at Celebration get sneered at for dressing up as Captain Kirk or Captain Jean Luc-Picard. Take that as you will.

5. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012

I'm not talking about costumes. I'm talking about fashion.

[​IMG]

Some people are not content to wear just hoodies and converse in public. :)

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm definitely bringing some alternative clothes to wear.

And I love elegant vintage fashion.

7. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    Same thing, people who wear Steampunk/Victorian clothing is that a costume or fashion? I say both and people would still give them odd looks.

8. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012

Actually, I follow her company on Instagram and FB. :cool: I realize that "vintage" is very popular right now, but I've never been to a SW convention, so I'm not familiar with the climate towards people wearing extravagant fashion. At anime cons, which I'm much more familiar with, it's a very anything-goes atmosphere, so there's no problem.

9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I definitely wouldn't worry about it. :)

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Short of dressing like an actual Nazi, I'm sure that most people won't bat an eye at whatever you choose to wear. Many are likely to be unable to distinguish you from other costumed attendees.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I might be wearing my double-breasted 1940's suit out for the con, so yeah, whatever you feel like donning goes.

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    When I was new to Celebration I did bat an eye at CIII for the group of pirates in full 17th century garb that was there, so you might get some looks.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  13. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I feel like you are a fellow nerd at a nerd convention. I can't speak for everyone, but I celebrate being around fellow star wars fans rather than judging anyone.

14. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    I LOVE seeing vintage fashion anywhere. At past Celebrations I've really liked when people mix vintage with a bit of Star Wars...40s style with a Darth Vader facemask or sexy Mandalorians. :)

15. wobafett

wobafett Jedi Knight

Feb 17, 2012
    I think it would be cool to see, everyone will be in SW clothes, but I'm not sure about flak. :shrug:

16. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I know no one remembers and probably didn't care, but it makes me cringe and feel embarrassed when I think back to wearing non-Star Wars shirts three of the four days during Celebration V.