main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Favourite game of all time?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ender Sai, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What's your favourite game of all time?

NOTE: Saying Battlefront II just suggests you need to game more or get out more.

Mine is Deus Ex.

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    They are cliche choices but I might have to say Super Mario 64 or GTA 3.

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Final Fantasy IV.

Amazing.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Cliche is a noun.

Cliched is the adjective.

I don't know why Americans struggle so mightily with this.

5. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Well, dictionary.com says it is an adjective, so I'll take their word over yours.

WriterMan likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It'd be entirely too difficult to choose from Dragon Quest V, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Shin Megami Tensei II, so I'll just list all three and effectively miss the entire point of the question.

thebeanpole and Ender Sai like this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Try OED, a real dictionary. While you're are it, bear in mind that I asked for a favourite so you gave me... two. :p

Wouldn't be these forums if someone didn't list many in response to a request for a singular.

8. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Deciding is hard.

And ok, I did try OED.

b. Used as adj. Stereotyped, hackneyed.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Homeworld, the dream of sci-fi fans everywhere, to command a fleet of starships in a 3D RTS environment, that was unfortunately light years ahead its time. Hopeful Homeworld Remastered Collection will give the franchise the attention it deserved from the beginning, instead of basically just becoming a cult classic.

Draconarius and Ender Sai like this.
  10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Half-Life

I remember every day I played this game for the first time so vividly. It truly was an experience for me, growing up playing PS1 and Game Boy Color then this came along blowing my mind completely away.

Life likes this.
  11. RogueSquadron19

RogueSquadron19 Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2015
    Timesplitters 2 and Timesplitters: Future Perfect

I had multiplayer matches with that game every night as a kid, the perfect way to end the day.

Star Wars-wise, I'd say I enjoyed Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, as well as Battlefront II. DICE's Battlefront looks damn perfect.

Life likes this.
  12. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    My 3 Favorite Games of All-Time:
    • Alien: Isolation (2014)
    • Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
    • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003)
    It's definitely a toss up between these three games for me. I know Alien: Isolation is only half a year old, but I've been playing the game almost non-stop for six months now. It's the longest period of time I've played a game that doesn't include multiplayer so there is something special about it.

Honorable Mentions:
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
    • Batman: Arkham City (2011)
    • Bioshock (2007)
    • Bioshock: Infinite (2013)
    • Gears of War (2006)
    • Half-Life 2 (2004)
    • Halo 2 (2004)
    • Mass Effect (2007)
    • Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks, Zeta and Trando for having sufficient mastery of the language to understand that favourite is not a laundry list of things you like.

Since people are struggling with a rudimentary concept:

favourite

(ˈfeɪvərɪt; ˈfeɪvrɪt) orfavorite
    adj
    1. (prenominal) most liked; preferred above all others
    n
    a. a person or thing regarded with especial preference or liking
    b. (as modifier): a favourite book.

CT-867-5309 and Life like this.
  14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Frog Fractions 2.

15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Super Mario 64.
    I had an amazing childhood.

16. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    My favorite game is Fallout: New Vegas.
    I was torn about whether I should pick Fallout 2 or Fallout New Vegas since I really love both of these games. While Fallout 2 has nostalgia value and great turn based combat, New Vegas wins because of "Old World Blues" and for the amount of awesome mods.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I never know how to answer this question. How do you determine which one game is your favourite? If it's simply about which game I've had the most fun playing then I would probably a pick a Mario game or Gunstar Heroes or Portal 2 or one of many DOS games from back in the day. If it's about which game I've spent the most hours playing then I have either StarCraft, Counter-Strike, or Unreal Tournament to choose from. If we're talking games that best delivered the entire package (gameplay, visuals, story, music, etc) then I might go with a 90s adventure game or maybe something like Mafia.

So yeah, I have no clue. What criteria do you guys use?

18. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    For me Fallout: New Vegas had pretty much all the criteria you have listed. It was the game I had the most fun playing, the game I have played the longest (over 300 hours), and it had really awesome game play, story, music and even visuals once I downloaded a couple of mods. I don't know if my answer helps you much, but I tried to consider all of the factors you mentioned when comparing Fallout: New Vegas to my other favorite games.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Kind of a weird hybrid metric of the ones you listed, and also whether or not the game sticks with me and becomes something I appreciate more over time, even without replaying it. Even then, I think if you want to pick just one you have to display a certain willingness to commit to your temporary opinion on a given day, but you should at least be able to narrow it down to a very small pool.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The reasons why I chose Homeworld are the rich backstory and campaign story, the excellent gamplay, the decent graphics for its time, and the amazing music, while also sticking with me over the years. In other words, Homeworld basically does everything right and then some. I don't really factor in how much I have played a game, because a game with multiplayer generally has a distinct advantage over a singleplayer game in that respect. Especially since there are so many games I have probably played more than Homeworld, including Halo, Call of Duty, Age of Empires, and Command & Conquer. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will eventually end up giving Homeworld a run for its money when I finally finish all of the DLC, establish specialized characters instead of trying to do everything on every single playthrough, and I can get the PC version so I can appreciate it even more with mods.

21. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Far too hard, it's very much dependant on my mood at the time.

It's a toss up between Half Life 2 and Final Fantasy 7

I probably lean towards HL2 though

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    My favorite game of all time was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    This is probably a lame answer but out of mostly nostalgia and based on the fact that I've played this game pretty consistently ever since I was old enough to play video games, I'm going with Pac-Man.

Life and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    I refuse to give into this "favorite all time" mindf*** of a question.

Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 007 and Banjo Kazooie.

kubricklynch likes this.
  25. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Skies of Arcadia. Been my favorite for oh...half my lifetime, so it's doing something right.