main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any chance we can move on to the 21st century here? [Sure!]

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Harpalyce, Apr 18, 2015.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    That's Legends. According to Pablo Hidalgo at Celebration, Hutts in NuCanon have separate genders and are no longer hermaphrodites.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Zurros Ka

Zurros Ka Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 26, 2015
    Ah, fair enough. Trying to keep up with NuCanon, but it's kinda like trying to nail jelly to the wall :p

Barriss_Coffee, TrakNar and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    If I ever do a PhD, my dissertation subject will be: "Is the use of humanocentric concepts appropriate to describe alien gender orientation in works of fiction? -- A comparative study of SW Legends and NuCanon." [face_laugh]

Great summary Harpalyce :)

jSarek, THE EVIL CLIFFIE, Rew and 5 others like this.
  4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [face_sick]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    If you're going to make faces like that, GGrievous, I'll be tempted to post my Rexhoka art with all-grown-up Rebels Ahsoka giving Santa-stand-in Rex a smooch on the cheek. :p (Seriously though, this is not the thread for you to whine about what I personally like and used as an example. You can come cry to me later if you find it that scarring.)

TrakNar and GGrievous like this.
  6. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Seriously though, I'm glad we've gotten this thread to a place of agreement. I know I came in hell-on-wheels, and I apologise for that. But I'm glad that with the latest summary things have gotten to where everyone apparently agrees. It gives me great hope for things in the future, and how things are going to go when this is brought up among the modmoot to give a proposition to the site owner. (And apologies for double posting. The forums are being spectacularly glitchy for me today for some reason.)

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    OK. Thank you for everyone who taught me what "shipping" meant in this context. There is no further need to discuss it.

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Any news on the progress of this?

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    MS is in agreement on wanting to go forward with contacting the site owner to try and get this rule changed, we just need to get the email drafted. Honestly, subsequent delays are on me, I underestimated the time commitment of some of the responsibilities I had to take care of after my kind of lengthy absence, family travels, things like that. My goal is for us (Meaning MS as a whole, not just the administration) to at least be looking over a common document within the week.

Ewok Poet, Lady-Hermione and TrakNar like this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The New Films moderation team is going to have a conniption for my setting a bad example and double posting, but I'd just like to say that while the relevant sections of MS need to get a few details on precise wording in our board-specific rules ironed out...

... Aw, hell, you know where I'm going with this already when I start with that, huh?

We got the go-ahead.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This image is always in good taste, so this is well worth dusting it off for...

[​IMG]

Seagoat, ophelia, Penguinator and 6 others like this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    A Chorus of Disapproval So that means its going to take nearly 10 more years to amend the rules? :p

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can now announce that MS has decided that the lifting of the same-sex romance ban applies to canon and EU characters as well as original characters -- it's a full lift, in line with the existing PG-13 rules about opposite sex romances. I'm sure we'll have something official-ish soon, but we thought you all should know ASAP so there's no uncertainty that this is a full lifting of the ban.

GrimdarkRose, Juliet316, V-2 and 13 others like this.
  14. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    I am so incredibly pleased!!

Thank you moderators for considering this so carefully and coming to a wonderful conclusion! I for one am going to be trumpeting this news from every rooftop. I can promise that a lot of people are going to be very happy about this.

V-2, Seagoat, Barriss_Coffee and 4 others like this.
  15. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I have come from afar to dance with the Ewoks. Good decision, MS!

16. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I've never written a fanfic, and have only ever read a handful, but thank the Force that this frustratingly unkillable bit of homophobic nonsense has finally been killed.

17. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Aw, yiss![face_party]

18. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Brilliant news, well done on getting this awful rule removed and thank you to the mods for getting it done.

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Whilst this style of fiction is not my personal cup of tea, this is an excellent result for equality. Many thanks to all those who got this archaic rule dissolved.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  20. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Major props to the mod team for working to get this rule changed. Seriously, well done and thank you. As someone in that LGBTQ+ demo, seeing that rule lifted means more than I could ever adequately articulate.

It's not just me, either. I know a lot of people who are ecstatic the rule is gone. People who left long ago because of the rule and people who wouldn't touch TFN with a ten meter cattle prod because it was there. I've seen tons of people talking about engaging with this community for the simple reason that the rule that was aimed squarely at them has vanished.

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Not just vanished, but purposely eliminated-sent to the trash bin of history.

Lane_Winree likes this.
  22. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    I believe God to consider free will above near all, and being queer is a decision, and all decisions must be supported, unless said decisions are murder and such.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Opinions on matters related to LGBTQ+ identity can be freely directed towards the appropriate threads in Community; while I'm not locking this thread the matter of this rule is definitively settled - MS doesn't want the old ban, and neither does the current site owner.

V-2 likes this.
  24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Before this thread gets locked up, I want to add in my last thoughts as someone who has had SSR with OC characters long before it became the norm, or even broadly accepted (vague and alluded to ONLY was the rule and of course MY characters were as vague as a sledgehammer to the forehead back in 2002, but they still stayed on, and were embraced thanks to some very understanding mods..)

Firstly, of course thanks go to the MS and the new owners for all the hard discussion and soul searching that must have gone into this decision, which I'm sure didn't come lightly. I remember when things in fan fic were even more incredibly restrictive, regarding what could be depicted, and how incredibly battering and bruising it was for ALL sides. To see such a bloodless, relatively painless (for the general population) change is incredible. I'm so utterly proud!

Well done everyone... [face_love]

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I actually thought this would be a lot more difficult. Seemed simple from the outside looking in.

jSarek likes this.