main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jeykey, Jan 3, 2015.

1. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013
    Hello

any info about the release date for The Force Awakens soundtrack ?

(sorry if it's not the right place for this question)

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Nope, not currently

I hope the OST titles don't spoil things like the TPM soundtrack did....

CaptainRegor, sharkymcshark and Sarge like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope we get a number of songs like the OT soundtracks. Off the top of my head the PT soundtracks had 17-18 for TPM, 10-11 for AOTC and 15 for ROTS. And completely butchered at times. The Ultimate TPM Soundtrack had a lot of songs though.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Good a place as any to ask, but no idea when it'll come out - if the PT soundtrack releases are anything to go by, I wouldn't expect anything until maybe September/October at the earliest, when a single might get released, with the full soundtrack a few weeks later.

VictoriaSkywalker likes this.
  5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Ethical question:

Is anyone planning on listening to any of the pieces before seeing TFA in theaters?
    Personally I won't. I want it all to be a huge surprise

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Have to see if JJ lets that happen. I probably will see what the title of the track is. Probably will listen. Will be way too curious about it.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I probably will - I don't really get to go 'spoiler-free' being a mod, but I'm a bit past caring too much about being spoiled, anyway, I'll lap up whatever gets released officially. Adds to the anticipation, rather than ruining it.

Still, I'd like to think that that they won't be as blatant with some of the track listings as they were with TPM. "Anakin wins the Race" and "Qui-Gon's Death" - seriously? I knew just about enough about the upcoming film back then for such titles not to ruin it completely, but come on, that was a bit sloppy, and I wasn't entirely sure Qui-Gon would die, thought he might die in the next one...

Anyway, happy to keep this thread active for any info, or speculation/discussion purely about the soundtrack for TFA. Stickying, too, but I really don't expect much for a while.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

I read that TFA will be the most dark movie of the entire saga, so I think que can expect a very dark (imperial) soundtrack.

.Darth_Tyranus. likes this.
  9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I really hope that this time the complete soundtrack is released. Episodes II and III were botched massively, edited random tracks together, missing loads of music. It's a nightmare trying to get the complete score.

10. DarthDave125

DarthDave125 Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2015
    I hope the soundtrack won't cost alot and it will be released in October:cool:

darklordoftech and Darkslayer like this.
  11. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Came in here to post just this.

CaptainRegor and Seagoat like this.
  12. The Black Jedi

The Black Jedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2015
    The soundtrack won't be released until around or just after Thanksgiving.... historically speaking, the OST's of the previous six films would be released a month or less prior to the movie

The soundtrack for A New Hope wasn't even recorded until mid March 1977 and the film was released two months later
    The soundtrack for Empire was recorded in December 1979 and January 1980 and was released on April 16, 1980, just over a month before the film.
    The soundtrack for Jedi was recorded in January and February 1983 and was most likely released a few weeks before the film in May 1983
    The soundtrack for TPM was released on May 4, 1999, two weeks before the film premiered.
    The soundtrack for AOTC was released on April 23, 2002, three weeks before the film's release
    The soundtrack for ROTS was released on May 3, 2005, two weeks before the film's release

Xinau and Darth_Nub like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Darker than ROTS and ESB?

14. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    Hummmm...maybe. We didnt see enough at the teaser trailer, but it seens that TFA will be a mix of TESB and ANH, visually speaking of course.

15. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

They really need to have this in there at the start lol. Seriously though, I've always considered this as part of the opening score. Every film I watch released by 20th Century, when I hear it, I think of Star Wars.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The Ultimate soundtrack for TPM and the more or less complete OT releases are my favorite releases, I hope the TFA soundtrack release resembles those.

17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    By JW himself so he must have thought they were OK.

I don't see how you can possibly get darker than ROTS thematically or musically in the first chapter of a new trilogy.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and cwustudent like this.
  18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I just hope they actually release all the music this time. It's been 13 years since AOTC and 10 since ROTS and they still haven't released the complete soundtracks for either of them.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Are we sure JW was okay with that? I thought I remember reading somewhere that JW was forced to shorten or alter them because a lot of themes in all 3 PT movies are out of whack. Title-wise, in different movies etc.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    There are a lot of themes from TPM in AOTC, mainly during the battle of Geonosis, and some from both films in ROTS. That still doesn't explain why they've never realeased the orginial tracks from each film.

There's just so much wonderful unreleased John Williams music. :(

Also: Did anyone else see the Lord of the Rings soundtracks? First they released cut down versions, like the PT. Then they released complete editions, more like the 2 disc set for the OT.

That seems like a good solution that would please everybody. There would be a cheaper set with the main themes, and a more complete set for people who really like the music. A bit like Episode One, which has an Ultimate edition and a cut-down edition.

darklordoftech and cwustudent like this.
  21. Mr. Crumb

Mr. Crumb Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2013
    Seriously....some of those titles were ridiculous. Please don't do that with the OST for TFA.

DarthSheev likes this.
  22. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    It will be interesting to see the ratio of Prequel Trilogy vs. Classic trilogy themes reused.

23. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Yay or nay for new choral material in TFA?

I'd honestly love to see it used as it was in non-Duel of the Fates sections of The Phantom Menace, such as the scenes in the journeys to and away from the underwater Gungan city or the Dementor scenes from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

24. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I suspect there's going to be a major choral piece somewhere in the ST, maybe for TFA, but probably more likely later. It will likely be for a major battle between the heroes and villains a la DOTF and BOTH. If Uber really is the ultimate evil, then it needs to be epically amazingly awesome! :)

25. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I can see Williams using a low male chorus to represent the dark-sider(s) from the movie. Similar in application to the Emperor's theme.