main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How to reduce spam

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jcgoble3, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Guys, can I ask you to remove the time limit on the report function? I just tried to report two spam posts in Comms, and it told me to wait on the second.

It's basically the point at which I go "nah, my incentive to report this is gone".

march162015, TrakNar and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, I encountered that time limit a few days ago. If it can't be removed entirely, perhaps reducing the throttle to 10 seconds instead of 30 would help. The idea is that we should be able to report spam faster than the spammers can spam.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    A thread I reported was deleted, and the one I couldn't report because the arbitrary and silly limit made it harder than it ought to be stayed open. So I mean, it's not like there's increased material risk for anyone but conversely the report system works and it is in your interests to ensure it works properly.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I wasn't even aware there was a limit. It's not in any of the regular setting pages, at least. It might be hidden somewhere, as XenForo's admin panel is kind of, er, twisty, or it might be hardcoded. Let me take a look...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Almost every time I report multiple cases I hit it.

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've hit the limit as well. When that happens, I look in a new tab for a couple seconds and then come right back and try again.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've had the same issue, here and on other forums with a 60 second rather than 30 second time limit. I figure most forums have some kind of limit.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There's usually a default limit set for things like that, post editting times, etc in the forum software. Users with access to the Admin Panel can customize these settings if they aren't hard-coded elsewhere in the software.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok, so what as tech admin are you doing to remove that arbitrary barrier to reporting posts as rapidly as you detect them?

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    JoinTheSchwarz - were you able to find anything on this? I've had a look around the Admin CP and on the Xenforo site and couldn't find anything about changing the time limit.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    No, no luck at all. And the documentation hasn't helped at all. It's probably hardcoded, sadly.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's what I thought.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I had an idea today - it's a slightly silly one - but it might work.

Make a competition of it - open to ordinary posters only (not mods and admins).

We all know how enthusiastic participants in competition threads can be.

After a month or so from the announcement, offering two titles, one to the person who has reported the most spammers, and one to the person who has reported the most spammers first, could be enough of an incentive for posters to keep an extremely sharp eye open for spam posts.

Good idea? Or terrible?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It seems that we're starting to get some spam in the late afternoon and evening U.S. time, as opposed to the typical Eastern European morning. What's up with that, and where are these new spammers from?

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nothing too different than what we usually get, just a minor variation in when they hit the site.

Trust me, we still get plenty in those early-morning EST hours- they're just branching out a little.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    We could ask next time we permban one...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It hasn't been super bad so far today but I reported a couple so far.

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I think Cushy would probably be odds-on to win such a competition.;)

TBH, I think the best approach is simply to encourage users to use the Report function, largely by increasing the awareness and understanding of it, particularly how effective it is - while discouraging the smart-arsed practice of replying to spam threads with "In before the lock"-type posts and not bothering to actually report the spam.

Cushing's Admirer and Iron_lord like this.