main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Rogue One - First Anthology Film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Mar 12, 2015.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm ecstatic that we'll only have to wait a year and a half until Episode VIII-as well as only half a year between SW movies after next year!

I've always thought-if Harry Potter can release their films every year and a half, why not SW?! Especially when it's run by Disney, which has no limit to staffing and funding. Looks like they will literally be doing what I assumed possible: having multiple teams work on multiple SW movies simultaneously.

Great news!

(Sorry for the double post-didn't think of this till it was too late to edit.)

TheYodaPagoda and cubman987 like this.
  2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
  3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Ha! A Star Wars Top Gun. Jerry Bruckheimer even pitched Top Gun as "Star Wars on Earth," which is very obvious in the staging of Top Gun's dogfight at the end. The final battles in both movies even have repeated shots. For the last few years there's been talk of a Top Gun sequel with a young female lead (that I hope never happens; Top Gun doesn't need a sequel or remake.) I like the casting of Felicity "no I'm not Emma Roberts" Jones. While I'm intensely spoiler-free for the trilogy, I kind of want to know more about this one.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  4. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm excited, because it sounds like this is exactly what I was hoping for in a spin-off. Instead of being a solo movie about a saga character, which I think is a bad idea, it's about someone new, someone who isn't a Jedi or a major Rebel or anything. I want to see the GFFA through a smaller, more average point of view.

I still don't like there being a new movie each year though, even if some are spin-offs. New SW episodes have always been more than just movies, they're events. I feel like by becoming a commonplace thing, it'll loose some (or a lot) of what makes it special. Like having Christmas every month. I dunno.

5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Well I'm excited for it. To me it's kind of like experiencing an EU onscreen. Something to fill the gaps between episodes. I might prefer an origin story of a character actually, but I do like this particular idea a lot. The dogfights have always been some of my favorite aspects of SW, and Rogue One makes it sound like we will get plenty of that.

Also, the fact that this is really born from an idea John Knoll had is quite interesting to me. I've always felt he had some interesting ideas on how to portray certain scenes in the prequels (like the coruscant speeder chase for example).

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, I do like when STAR WARS movies are events and don't understand the rush to do the "spin-off/standalone" films while doing a Trilogy in the main storyline and in less time than the last trilogies. People compare it to the whole Avengers stuff but those movies aren't jumping around a timeline. Still, the general public doesn't really feel that Star Wars is so special and the biggest most monumental film franchise anymore and hasn't since the late '80s when network TV airings were still considered big events. During the Prequels we longtime SW fans had to adjust to seeing that a lot of people were more interested in Spider-Man or The Matrix or whatever. They still like it; Star Wars is ubiquitous and common now. Barely a day goes by that I don't come across a picture someone took of someone in a Stormtrooper uniform.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  8. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    How can it sound boring when all we have is the title and one cast member? This is the fun time, when the project is a clean slate on which to speculate about all kinds of things.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

The upcoming SW film is a direct sequel to the OT, featuring OT characters. Why wouldn't the focus be on an OT and post-OT related world?

The PT, which I do enjoy, dominated the SW landscape for over a decade. There is a near endless plethora of PT material.

Common sense (not to mention good business sense) dictates the focus. But don't worry, Lucasfilm/Disney know there are millions of PT fans. Of course they'll eventually mine that era (I actually wouldn't put it past Disney to redo the Prequels all together at some point).

Force Smuggler and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    1. Apart from TCW and the films, it is all non-canon now (although that admittedly does not effect my canon or my enjoyment of it very much)

2. Please no

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Cannon is irrelevant to me. The material was still created and is there to enjoy for those who want to.

But if you want to go that road, the PT trilogy still has more canonical material than the OT since ALL of the previous expanded universe is now under the "legends" non-canonical banner, including the plethora of OT and post-OT related material. TCW has seven seasons and a film, that is tons of material, all of it still canonical. The canonical expanded universe OT material is very much in "catch up" mode.

I personally don't see this happening anytime soon, but 20-30 years down the line? Absolutely a possibility. The name of the game is business. And what is canonical today could easily, yet again, be retconned tomorrow. At this point I think that includes the prequel trilogy.

And while I don't imagine Disney will ever remake the OT, I can see them shifting canon yet again by catering to fans who didn't like the changes George did to the originals. I think they'll be solving the "who shot first" question with an official restoration to the original idea outcome at some point as well.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    So, that Rogue One, eh?
    I was thinking the other day while watching Rebels:
    The crawl of ANH says "It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory over the evil Galactic Empire."
    Well, they've had minor victories on Rebels, but nothing that resembles what's in that crawl. What if the plot of Rogue One is the first thing Star Wars ever gave us? Just something to chew over.

Forbidden Island and Hamawald like this.
  13. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    That would be awesome! It would start with desperate rebels and end just like in ANH basically. Kind of like a reboot of a ANH come to think of it, just not replacing it.

14. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    I posted my idea in the spin-off forum a few times, but some of you don't visit there, so I'll post it here.

It's a short-time before A New Hope, and the Rebel Alliance have not been much of a threat to the Empire so far. With the Rebels' best X-wing pilots gone on other missions, General Dodonna organizes a group of rogue pilots and misfits to pose as Imperial generals and steal the Death Star plans. This group of castoffs later become known as the 'Rogue Squadron', and we watch the characters grow as the bad batch of the Alliance to the best squadron in the galaxy. The story would be similar to the Wraith Squadron book by Aaron Allston and the Rookies/Domino Squad arc from The Clone Wars.

Maybe by the title, 'Rogue One', they're talking about the first group of Rogue Squadron pilots.

Ewok Poet and Hamawald like this.
  15. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    This movie is basically already the best star Wars spinoff ever. How have they not started filming though? Is the movie getting a December release?

16. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    December 2016. Episode VII still hadn't started filming at this point last year. There's plenty of time.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So... is this the point where we start discussing whether or not Star Wars will go the Marvel route and add a teaser to the end of the TFA credits for R1?

I've never been big on post-credits scenes, but if it's just a regular teaser trailer (that doesn't necessarily have to be on subsequent DVD/BR releases) I would be all for it.

18. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I was kind of assuming we'd have a Rogue One teaser with TFA. Timing definitely works - we got the first TFA trailer in late November last year, so if they're on the (relatively) same timeline for production with Rogue One, there's no reason to think they wouldn't have some footage ready.

That being said, I really don't want a post-credits scene. That's Marvel's thing, it's not a Star Wars thing.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Agreed. I meant I could get behind it if it was an actualy trailer, shown after the movie. A post-credit scene however, no thanks.

20. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    We need some more post-Celebration discussion about this. We sort of know a premise, and the timeline. EHT maybe some guidance is in order. Should we have another thread to discuss this?

21. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I went ahead and renamed this one, making it the official Rogue One NSA thread.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Not sure what another thread would be needed for; may as well ask those questions here. Are you wondering about what's OK to discuss vs. not? Generally, the official forum position is that anything that's been officially announced by LFL/Disney is not considered a spoiler; anything else is a spoiler.

But as mentioned again recently, what constitutes a spoiler to individuals can vary from one person to the next, so people in here should be careful to only discuss even those officially announced things within the threads for those topics (and avoid creating new threads with very specific information in the title, for example).

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Pretty much the more I hear about this film the more I want to see it. Glad I made a 180 on my initial feelings, I much prefer being optimistic about these things :)

24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Looks like I was right! Can't wait!

25. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I carefully worded my statement to avoid those potential landmines. Since we're tagged with Official Info, it's game on!
    Since we're about a year and 3/4 away from Rogue One, what do we all think of the premise? Space battles are sure to be front and center, but I've been wrong before. I'm super excited about the things that are headed our way!

EHT likes this.