main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Star Wars: Ewoks (1985-1986) discussion, rewatch, information & analysis thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ewok Poet, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I'm still here guys :) Senior in high school, so I've got AP Exams coming up and I'm trying to keep up (catch up, really) with the NEU, so Star Wars time is being budgeted. I'm going to continue my watch through though (and if i break for too long, please, pester me via pm! I need the motivation) as Ewoks is really worth watching.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    One thing I've noticed - Endor is consistently shown with what looks like 2 suns - yet on Wookieepedia, only one sun is mentioned:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ibleam

Maybe the other is a large, close-in planet?

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Kassius Konstantine

Kassius Konstantine Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2015
    Not directly an aspect of Ewoks, but it seems Rebels took a tiny bit inspiration from Ewoks too.

Note the insignia on the service caps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Senator Kelberry likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I don't think I want to watch yet another white first world man who thinks he's the smartest person in the world. Not to mention that "daring" and "strange" are two very, very different things. Did this person study anything related to storytelling and/or art or is he just a fanboy?

6. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Anyone else think its awesome Wilford Brimly is in star wars? Oh wait this is about the cartoon? Still cool. :)

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I have no idea who he is in general, as I'm not North American, but I liked him in The Battle of Endor a lot. The film is very grim and heavy and he was a very believable cranky old men, his heart melted by a child.

8. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    He's not a prominent actor, but he is a popular internet meme on YouTube because of the diabetes commercials he starred in.

lovelikewinter and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    In that case, I respect him even more, being an insulin-resistant person who is likely to develop diabetes later in life and all...

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  10. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm sorry to hear that. The meme in question is in somewhat bad taste TBH.

11. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Brimley was actually a much bigger name in the 1980s than he is today thanks to roles in Cocoon, the TV series Our House, and John Carpenter's remake of The Thing. He perfected the "grumpy old guy with a soft heart" character, which he ported over to "Battle for Endor" quite nicely.

Trebor Sabreon and Iron_lord like this.
  12. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

That and read the before you hit and run. We're a positive bunch here.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  14. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Why are you quoting yourself, Ewok Poet?

15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I liked the Dr Raygar episode which I watched yesterday.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    This should be on Netflix or DVD. I always wondered why Lucasfilm never did anything with the series, except for the one DVD and that was butchered.

17. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I'm back at it!

Wicket's Wagon
    This was an episode with a good premise, but weaker execution, to be sure. I like the concept a lot: Wicket sort of innocently starts rebuilding his ancestor's chariot/battering ram thing, inadvertently provoking the duloks. And, generally speaking, that plot played out how you might expect. The Shaman has some silly moments, Wicket is clever, there're some funny moments, and then there's a very good climax. The trouble with this episode lay more in what it didn't really expand on: for one, Morgeesh is introduced as this bizarre mystic oracle dulok with a connection to Umwak, but literally nothing is done with his character. And then there's a force ghost?! What?! Without any explanation?! Wicket isn't even force sensitive! And worse still, it's just sort of taken for granted. Something like that needs some explanation!

Star Wars-continuity whining aside, this was definitely an enjoyable episode. A nice way to come back to the series for sure. A bit sad that there weren't any Teebo or Logray moments, but I trust that they're coming. Also, extra points for a great Malani moment in the finale! She did an awesome job without compromising her characterization. Well done.

Overall Rating: 6/10

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The comics hinted at it - with his (limited) ability to use Ewok magic.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wicket

Powers and abilities

Although clearly not as adept as the sorcerer Logray or his apprentice Teebo, Wicket showed some potential Force-sensitivity in his ability to wield Logray's staff and perform other acts of "magic" while briefly under the shaman's tutelage.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Filoni used the phrase Force based religions while discussing the other pagan like remains buried under the Coruscant Jedi Temple. The Wookies use the Force, so its not that far fetched a notion that Ewoks could as well.

20. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    They could hypothetically use the Force as a form of magic just as other SW cultures do. Perhaps some Ewoks, and even Morag tapped into something they didn't even truly understand. Connecting it to nature, spirits, etc could simply be viewing the Force in their own way.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've finally finished whole of Season 1. Asha's reunion with her father is rather touching.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    What did you think of...well, everything else?

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Morag is an excellent Villain. The Duloks are more comedic overall.

The more I watch it, the more "Logray as fraud" grates on me in the Star Wars Character Encyclopaedia.

There's a lot of dangerous wildlife on Endor.

24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Saga Explorer and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    "Logray as fraud" actually originates with WEG, back in the first edition of Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi. I never liked that characterization much either, but first edition WEG didn't acknowledge the cartoon or tv movies. Happily Ultimate Star Wars and the Topps card app makes no mention of Logray being a coward and whatnot, so hopefully his more noble characterization is in effect in the canon continuity.