main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Totally random and off-topic question, but where would a non-Jedi funeral be held? Would a funeral home be too much of a 'earthism'?

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    *North Americanism, perhaps?

We just follow the coffin from the chapel (may vary in size, but on our main graveyard, they're tiny, to the point where everybody but the family and the priest stands outside) to the grave or, in case of a cremation, spend some 20-30 minutes in a special chapel, where the coffin then drifts underground using special mechanism, since cremations themselves are scheduled someplace else. We also have no habit of taking urns home with us, they're buried in a grave or a cassette.

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Precisely why I wanted to avoid it, but I can't exactly have a chapel or any sort of religious structure.

4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You can pick pieces from various Earth traditions and see what works best.

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    What culture is the person from?

In any case, perhaps just make up some sort of funerary rites for whatever character you're planning this for?

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Alderaan. I'm thinking making the 'funeral service' kinda like a wedding in the way that they can have it in a garden or something.

7. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Mulch? :p *runs away* It's only like cannibalism if you're going to eat the plants...

TrakNar likes this.
  8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well, I always imagined that funeral services for members of the various galactic military forces would be burial in space (similar to Star Trek and based on ancient naval tradition). Post-destruction Alderaanian funerals, IIRC, involved launching the deceased into the Graveyard in a similar type of space casket. Given that, I think it's safe to assume that the customary funerary rites/location would be similar to Earth familial burial customs, in that there might be a family plot on some corner of an estate or collective cemetery...assuming Alderaanians buried their dead.

Lots of assumptions, yeah, but plenty to work from as well as those Wook articles.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. This is pre-"Alderaan-goes-boom" so I think I'm going to base it off of some Naboo traditions.

11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Briannakin Your question gave me to pretext I needed to type up my notes about funeral rites in the Fanon Thread (here).

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I want some of your grey cells. In combo with mine, I would...get so much more done.

*EP considers becoming a zombie*

Kahara, TrakNar and Chyntuck like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A memorial service before or after the body is sent to Necropolis perhaps?

14. Foxtrot_97

Foxtrot_97 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 7, 2015

I think having a funeral in a graveyard (if on world) or in the loading bay of a ship (if you're going to say jettison the body into a star) are both appropriate choices.

Personally, I'm a fan of viking funeral rites, where the body is set on a pyre or a boat is burned with the body on it if you are looking for an interesting Terran ritual. Also, if your person was important, they might have a processional like Padame. Maybe just a small one for friends and family?

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, here's tonight's doofy question: What is the official, technical name of that sort of open-topped, hovering personnel-carrying vehicle thingamajig that Luke, Leia, and Han (and I think Chewie too) ride on in the Yavin IV Rebel base? I know hoverbuses are a thing in the GFFA; is that an example of one? Whatever it is called, could vehicles like that be used as public transportation elsewhere in the Galaxy?

Thanks! :)

16. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    What it looks like to me is basically just a repulsorlift-equipped version of a pilot buggy used by various air forces to bring personnel out to their planes. During World War II, the Army Air Corps would've just used Jeeps or Deuce-and-a-halfs for the job (at least in England). As for whether or not it'd be used as a method for public transport, it seems doubtful; at most, it might be used as a personal scooter by some private owner who might have bought one at a military surplus sale.

17. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Any ideas on what the GFFA equivalent would be for "playing chicken"?

18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  19. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Don't know, but I used "scaredy-nuna" in a fic recently and that's a fanon that I'm willing to donate. :p But other things could work too...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Those have a horn on their beak in the cartoon. No joke. And yeah, I know, it's sexy.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Does anyone know about Alderaan's involvement in the Clone Wars? This is all I could find on Wookieepedeia:
    I'm trying to flesh out Doran's backstory, and I had a throwaway line about him fighting with the Alderaanian reserves (at least in his fake bio). I'm thinking that this is actually true, that he and his master went to help with the refugee situation and got caught up in the fight. Does that seem plausible?

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have some questions regarding the Chiss
    * How do their fashion look like?
    * How do their spaceships look like?
    * How do their architecture look like?
    * Do they have any client species?

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Raissa Baiard The Wook says that Alderaan had its own security forces at the time of the Clone Wars and renounced their military after the war was over, so I think you're covered.

Gamiel Do you have Survivor's Quest? There are detailed descriptions in there that answer your questions about fashion and spaceships. For client species, they're described as very isolationist, so my answer would be no.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No.
    Anybody willing to share?

Okej

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Gamiel

I think you should also check out Outbound Flight, which at the mo', is half a world away from me, so I cannot refer to it.

Agreed that the Chiss are isolationist. I believe that they put down pirates that prey on other races (or that might have been just under Thrawn), but that was more to prevent the crims becoming powerful enough to threaten the Chiss, rather than caring about others.

They know one or two non-Chiss trade languages, so that suggests they at least traded with others.