main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Zare's appearance in "Vision of Hope" is part of the book, and comes near the end.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Huh. Would have thought close to the beginning. Or is the place he is going used in book 4?

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  4. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Congratulations, Jason! I look forward to reading it.

Just beware the curse of the dreaded Star Wars numbers... :p

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Awesome.

Also, I love how they're saving everything for release day. There will be SO MUCH TO READ that early morning. I should just call in sick after the movie. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Jello, if I were you I'd be pissed that I was just in a room with Jason a couple weeks ago and didn't know to bug him about TFA, which we now know conclusively he's totally in the loop on. :p

8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I look forward to Jason's take on the new Star Destroyer (and hopefully some EGTW warship references to go with it)... :D

9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Don't worry, he'll be at Star Wars Weekends soon and I can bug him then!

10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Remember when books were announced instead of just showing up randomly in databases? I know I'm old, but I preferred that method.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, because I'm sure that was the only reason he didn't tell me all the spoilers. :p

Besides the record for keeping things under the lid at a Celebration goes to Pablo, who was like the main host of everything at C6 and didn't tell anybody about the upcoming Disney deal and sequel trilogy. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    And now a short story in the upcoming Rise of the Empire bind-up (basically A New Dawn plus Tarkin and three new short stories)?

This is getting out of hand. Fry must be stopped.

Congrats! We are lucky to have you writing Star Wars.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I know, right? The whole 'canon' panel - with Chee, Filoni and the Del Rey rep - didn't give one hint that anything was up, let alone the specifics.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

Wow! John Jackson Miller...Jason Fry...Melissa Scott, first time Star Wars writer! It's like they know what we already read and liked and are giving us more!

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    At Celebration, Del Rey hinted that we'd like the authors of the short stories but wouldn't spill the beans on them. But now I see why!

Well, it's hard to know who exactly was in the loop before the ink was dry. We know that Pablo knew and we know that Dark Horse had no clue. It's likely Del Rey didn't know either. Leland or Filoni? Harder to say, given that they're both pretty high up there.

I mean, they were smart for not telling anyone, especially pre-deal. Imagine the pandemonium, lol.

16. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Hello Jason, I have a question regarding the Y-wing’s Sensor Profile in The Essential Guide to Warfare. While part 10 of your endnotes say it was Paul Urquhart who wrote the Profile, I thought you still might know where the inspiration for the BTL-S3B came from.

The description would fit Y-wings from three seperate sources:
    1. Starfall (WEG adventure)
    2. Imperial Ace (mobile phone game)
    3. Battlefront series

While the Y-wing from Starfall was at no point identified as a seperate model or a modification, it says the players are able to use the crashed craft's cannons while fighting Stormtrooper's in a zero-g environment in the corridor of VSD Subjugator. It can't be about the regular laser cannon's as these are mounted rigidly in the cockpit module, making them useless in three dimensional combat.

Thanks

17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Knowing Thrawn McEwok it was possibly all three sources plus he threw in an allusion to the Venerable Bede that went over my head. Perhaps he'll see this tag and weigh in.

18. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    You get a gold star just for making a Venerable Bede reference.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    jasonfry

Just now saw that you are writing the Complete Cross Sections for The Force Awakens! :D

While I know you cannot spoil a thing, wink once and tap your nose if anything Mon Calamarian appears... :p

Seriously though, I couldn't be happier to see you on this book. Congrats on making a continued impact in the GFFA, both Legends AND now New Canon. [face_dancing]

--Adm. Nick

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    fyi Jason, it's a trap!

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Fun. I thought no one else thought "Starfall!" while reading that capsule. :)

NCISliar likes this.
  22. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Wow, that was a quick response! I didn't know that he frequents these boards, thanks a lot! :)

I thought the same until now. :D

23. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    So I finally got a copy of the first Servants of the Empire. It's easily one of the best things in the new canon, and I went out and got the second one yesterday.

So thanks, Jason.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Regarding Star Wars in 100 Scenes - and its mention of Vader's body fading away - it's been suggested that the "Vader's helmet" pic contradicts this:

Would this be an example of "first newcanon work to have bits decanonized?"

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000

Eventually, yes. :p

The S3B was primarily a nod to the two-seater versions in the Star Wars Holiday Special and Splinter of the Mind's Eye, but (as you correctly surmised, NCISliar) it was also a nod to every source that describes Y-wings with blasters in the turret - I don't think I knew about Imperial Ace, but I was aware of Battlefront and I'd looked at the WEG material, and I also have a vague idea that there's maybe at least one line somewhere else... maybe in Salm's unit in one of the XWRS novels or comics or perhaps in the Shadows of the Empire material...?

EDIT: Or, now I think about it, maybe it's even in the Shane Johnson Technical Journal...?

I hope that's a useful answer?

- The Imperial Ewok

NCISliar and Iron_lord like this.