main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST My Father Has It (Rey, The Force Awakens, "Spoilers" and Speculation)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by taramidala, May 27, 2015.

1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    “My Father Has It”

Title: My Father Has It
    Author: taramidala
    Rating: G
    Time Frame: TFA
    Disclaimer: All belongs to Lucasfilm Ltd. and the Haus of Mouse.
    Note: Special thanks as always to ginchy for the once-over and general cheerleading!

SPECULATION/SPOILER WARNING: I have made speculations regarding the character of “Rey,” played by Daisy Ridley, based upon potential spoilers that are out there on the interwebs. You are hereby warned.

^^ No, really, y'all, I can't warn you enough!!

And I'm going to leave a big gap so you can back-button away!!

Rey pulled at the vine-covered, mossy rocks that blocked her way. The thick green slime slid between her fingers with each pull. Glancing down at the silver cylinder on her belt, she sighed. That could work, and there wasn’t much time. She shook her head and tugged harder. No. She wasn’t ready.

As of their own volition, the heavy stones began to move, offering a small passageway for her to slip through. She could hear the crashing waves echoing inside the chamber, as though the tunnel led straight to the cliff’s edge and the water below.

She paused, and thought of the men she’d left behind. Finn, and Dameron, had stayed with the ship, but she could sense their minds buzzing in the back of hers. Warm. She hoped they’d still be there when she returned.

If she returned.

“Enough,” she muttered, and stepped into the passage.

The change from light to darkness wasn’t unexpected, but hit her eyes like a blaster going off too close to the face. Instinctively, she reached out into the void, but felt nothing. Cold. The wave echoes were louder now, drowning out the sound of her heartbeat that rang in her ears. Finally, she found a wall.

Her hand trailed along the cold, wet stone as she ventured further into the dark. New sounds emerged, little flicks and hisses of unseen creatures that brushed her skin and made it crawl. The lack of light started to play tricks on her mind; it now looked as though there were small portals in the distance that gave view to the sea below. She continued walking.

There were no portals, and yet the water was as loud as ever. She’d never heard (or seen) so much water in her life. Jakku was a barren wasteland, and Yavin IV, while lush and green, had nothing on this place.

But why choose it as a place of exile?

Flashes of fire and exploding stone flooded her mind, images from the vision Maz Kanata had channeled for her. The savage rampage that had killed hundreds and left them burning. The battle for which they’d been gravely unprepared and overwhelmed and had left many lost and alone. Rey raised her hands to fight the onslaught, but they were useless protection. She couldn’t stop reliving the screams of all the people they’d lost. Friends. Families. Her mother. Her sister and brother.

She was one of the only ones left, and now she was here, kneeling in a damp puddle in a black cave filled with ghosts and darkness. A thick fog filled her mind, clouding all clarity. She sought Finn and Poe again and felt nothing.

“What do you want with me?” she whispered.

No reply came. Not that she expected one.

“Enough,” she hissed, pushing herself to her feet. She brushed her slime-covered hands on the seat of her trousers and pressed on.

The ghostly voices ebbed and flowed through the tunnel, their sighs and strains bouncing off the walls. She could no longer pinpoint them, nor could she stop them, but she was no longer afraid. The creeping darkness in her heart dissipated even as it held fast around her, as though she were a beacon cutting through it.

She thought then of her mission here - find, and retrieve - and wondered again why the Queen had chosen her. She gave the lightsaber to Finn, and Dameron was her errand boy, so why couldn’t they have done it?

“I think you know,” she had said when Rey asked her that very question.

Reaching a vee in the cave, Rey paused. She had no idea how long she’d been down there, but surely the target wasn’t much further. Fighting to hear herself over those waves and voices, she listened for the tiny guiding voice that had become so vocal lately. When it whispered its choice, she followed.

Light trickled in at the corners of her eyes as she climbed down a narrow set of steps, until it grew so bright she tumbled to the bottom. The voices roared once more as she lay on the ground, screaming and cackling their fury against her prone form. Rey opened her mouth to cry out when --

“Enough!” The boom echoed in the chamber with enough force to knock Rey to her back. Then...silence. The ghosts, the waves, were just...gone.

She had never heard anything more beautiful in her life.

Breathing out the final threads of fear, she rose to her feet. Her eyes flicked around the chamber, lit with a faint golden light. There were dozens of shipping trunks scattered about. Several crudely-cut windows. A small sleeping pallet on the floor. An Old Republic era Astromech droid next to it. And before her, the stooped figure of an old man draped in tattered black robes.

His face showed no displeasure. His eyes remained closed, and a low hum rumbled from his time-worn throat. “So my sister sends a child to do her dirty work?” he asked.

“I bring a message from Queen Leia Organa of the Resistance. Are you the one called Skywalker?”

The man chuckled, a wispy, hissy sound that cut the air and grated against her ears. “That depends on who’s asking,” he said. “Who are you?”

She hesitated a moment before replying. “I am Rey,” she said.

There was a soft grunt as he shifted to sit on the closest rock. His movements were slow, but careful and steady, and wouldn’t betray his agility to an ordinary observer.

Too many years in the Jakku scrapyards, however, made her far from ordinary. He was merely playing the part of an elder; his skills and strength remained undiminished.

His voice came softly. “Why are you here?” he asked.

Rey rolled her eyes. Hadn’t he been listening? “I told you. I bring a message from –”

“A droid could have sent a message. Give me the real reason, child.”

She shivered a bit to know how well he’d read her, and recoiled to the far side of the chamber. Her hand brushed the lightsaber and she said, “I, and another who’s waiting for me topside – Finn – we have the Force. Will you teach us?”

“No.”

“Will you come with me to the Queen? There is a very grave threat.”

The derisive snort that escaped him echoed loudly. “There always is.”

“The Sith have returned. The Queen believes their leader to be her son,” Rey said.

“The Sith returned fifteen years ago.” A white-hot flash of his pain rushed over her, as if his emotions were the flames from that long ago inferno. “There is nothing I can do.”

“Can’t, or won’t?” she asked.

He shook his head. “Leia has never understood what I am doing here, and I can’t make her. She knows this. I’m sorry she sent you on a fool’s errand.”

“What is it you’re doing anyway?”

The man rose and spread his arms wide, indicating the trunks around them. “These contain Sith artifacts. Ren has been looking for them. When he comes, I’ll be ready.”

So that was the source of the darkness, she thought. That and this man’s emotions. And yet he himself was not dark. But why wouldn’t he face her? He looked not at her. He looked everywhere but her. “You can’t do it all on your own,” she said, pushing away from the wall. “Train us, and we’ll help you.”

“This is no place for children.”

“And I am not a child! Or don’t you realize that?” she screamed, marching into his space. This nonsense conversation had finally broken her. She’d rejected the truth when Kanata first proposed it through her vision; she’d denied it when the Queen had insisted she come here. Now, it seemed it was all for naught anyway, and all her rage, exhaustion, and resentment spilled forth. “You don’t even remember, do you?”

Her words faded out on her cry, and as she stifled a sob it seemed that he, too, had broken. “Remember the Sith wiping out all I had worked to rebuild?” he spat as he began to pace. His dark robes swirled around him with every step. “Set fire to my family’s home and legacy as if it were dry brush on the plains? Remember my wife’s face as she stared down an army with our children strapped to her back? How dare you ask if I remember, girl! I remember it all.”

He stopped directly in front of her and opened his eyes to meet hers for the first time. And she knew. Seeing those eyes that had haunted her most secret dreams, she knew as surely as anything.

“And me? Has your heart forgotten me?” she asked softly. “The Force is strong in my family. My aunt has it. My mother, my sister, and my brother had it. I have that power, too, and for the first five years of my life I knew how to use it.”

A hand reached out to brush a stray strand from her face, still as tan and warm as she remembered. She leaned into his touch as his fingertips met her skin, and she grasped the hood of his cloak and tugged. He was definitely older, more weathered, and gray-haired, but his gentle face still looked the same. In the air she could hear his silent thought - I thought you were dead - which she answered with a smile. “I survived, Ahda,” she whispered, using her babyname for him from a lifetime ago. “And I need you. My name is Kireya Skywalker. I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi from my father.”

Revanfan1 and Annia Piet like this.
  2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    *nabs*

Darn it, these Rey Skywalker fics are giving me allllllllllll the feeeeeeeeeeels. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] And this is excellent. I already squeeeeeeed all over it, but will do so again. I love the echo of Luke's cave with Rey battling through the cave to get to Luke. I love how Luke is not just a crazy hermit but someone who has been out there doing things, taking the sith artifacts and keeping them, drawing the wannabe Sith to him. I love the idea that Luke and HIS WIFE had three children, but what of the other two?? And the wife?? And my heart!! What of my heart!!! And I love the name Kireya. So perfect!!!! And that ending. OMG. =D=[:D]I LOVE THIS!!!!!

Nyota's Heart and taramidala like this.
  3. Child_of_a_Jedi

Child_of_a_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2015
    Amazing!=D= I can't wait to see the movie to find out if everyone's theories on Rey turn out to be true.

4. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Love it! :)

I'm neither particularly avoiding nor actively seeking out spoilers, so I don't know how much of this is based on potential spoilers and how much is pure speculation. But this is a great snippet that gives me lots of Skywalker family feels!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  5. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Oh this is gorgeous. Brought a little tear to my eye. I hope the film has such emotional punch, whatever way they go with Luke and Rey in the end :)

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, that is. Just. Beyond Splendiferous! =D= =D= [face_dancing] Wonderful details of the scene and clashing of memories and raw emotions. And the last lines there. Slew me. [face_love]

7. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I skimmed this because, you know, spoilers give me hives but I can't resist anything with Luke and Rey. All I'll say is about that GRABBY HANDS I NEEDS IT PRECIOUS.

8. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I need a gif of Daisy Ridley with the caption I'M REY SKYWALKER, BITCH.

:p I'm loving all the Rey Skywalker fic (although I'd be okay with Rey Solo, too. I guess.)

Loved the inclusion of all the "spoilers" and the spin on the teaser lines. Luke's burden here broke my heart, but I like the fact that he was hiding away laying a trap rather than being a recluse.

*clutches heart*

*dies*

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Beautiful.

The first part reminds me so much of how Luke passed through the dark tunnel on Dagobah and faced his fears. Here is Rey, in a sense, doing the same thing. Isn't facing your past, in a sense, also facing your fears?

10. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Yesssss...I think we all have a case of the Rey Skywalker feels!! Thank you again for the assist. [:D]

Sadly, I fully anticipate being dead wrong, but I will not give up hoping for it! Thank you!!

And I'm not telling! :p I'm not sure I believe all of them, or want to believe them, but I guess we'll find out in a few months. Thanks so much for reading!

Me, too! Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for skimming!

OMG QUICK SOMEONE MAKE THIS FOR ME, PLEASE!

NEVER!!!

Thanks! I just...I just can't see him passively sitting away and hiding like Yoda.

My work here is done. :D

LOL! I laugh because ginchy said the same thing about the cave! I didn't start out writing it that way intentionally, but such is the beauty of a story taking over. And yes, Rey's facing her fear of remembering. In my head, I feel like she probably repressed the memories of what happened to her and her family, and she'd believed her father dead (as he thought her dead), but now here he is standing right in front of her. Thank you!

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Eek! I want! Rey as Luke's daughter is my fondest hope for the movie. [face_praying]

12. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999

Thank you! It's my fondest hope, too! For many of us, I think.
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Rereading because this fic is so awesome and I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like it in TFA (at least I hope so!) Because...

[​IMG]

divapilot likes this.
  14. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I second that emotion. :D Team Rey Skywalker for the win.

15. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    OMG BEST GRAPHIC EVAR. Thanks, lady! :)