main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    That one where he was worthy of an Oskar.

soitscometothis likes this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Today's AMC Movie Talk:

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that's funny. i wasn't aware that they were making a point break remake, but today my friend was telling me about "point break live" which he saw on a recent trip to l.a. apparently a company has been putting on live performances of point break for like the last twelve years and they cast someone from the audience to play johnny utah at every performance and it is, according to my friend, the greatest accomplishment in the history of humanity.

Rogue1-and-a-half and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Went to Wal-Mart today to get a printer cartridge. Had to go through the electronics section, naturally. Now, I was a big fan of Blockbuster, not really for the rentals, but for the cheap "previously viewed" DVD (when the bottom fell out on the video rental business and they had going out of business sales, I went crazy and walked out with armfuls of stuff). But with that gone, Wal-Mart is basically the last bastion of cheap discs (not previously viewed either, just low priced). So, even though I didn't intend to get any movies, something clicks in my brain when I see cheap discs. Ended up getting blu-rays of Fistful of Dollars (haven't seen that one, have seen Good, Bad & Ugly), Wolf of Wall-Street, Birdman & DVD of Kick-Ass 2 (have the first movie, have all the comics, even if part 2 is a little meh, just wanted to complete the set).

I miss cheap DVD sales but Wal-Mart seems to pick up the slack. And gas station movie bins for 2 for 10 bucks is always a bit of a goldmine.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Damn I thought they were remaking the John Boorman classic, Point Blank. Even though that's been remade two other times.

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

All for a JQ movie, but it's should be intentionally campy. Any attempt to do something serious would just kill it in my opinion.

As for 80's/90's cartoons that need to be made Into movies.....

Gargoyles

Exosquad

Pirates of Dark Water

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I wasn't a fan of Johnny Quest, but if it's going to make it campy, then it sounds like a job for Nicolas Cage.

I would love a Gargoyles and Pirates of Dark Water. I don't recall the Pirates of Dark Water having a proper series ending. Visionaries was a pretty cool cartoon, but they would have to change to the mystical staffs. Inhumanoids was pretty cool too.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Today's AMC Movie Talk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I just went over his filmography in an effort to be "that guy," you know the one who's like, "Well, Schindler's List is excellent, but I think his best work is actually *insert obscure movie." But, no, I mean, he's a great actor, but no other film performance equals Oskar Schindler. It's just the reality of it.

Now, if we're including television, his cameo on Life is Short is maybe the best thing he's ever done. "Tring." "We're closed."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    How about Ralph? I once thought Amon Goeth, but his Heathcliff was perfect as well.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Liam Neeson's best role was obviously in Krull. Duh.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    There's a lot for Fiennes. He's great in Schindler's List, really riveting. And just a year later, he's really, really wonderful as Charles Van Doren in Quiz Show; that's a genuinely brilliant performance that's always being forgotten. Then just recently, he was beyond perfect in The Grand Budapest Hotel; it's one of the most finely tuned, precise performances I've ever seen.

But, honestly, I think his very best performance was in a movie that wasn't very good at all, namely Red Dragon, based on the Thomas Harris novel. Ed Norton is really miscast and the direction has no energy really, but Fiennes is just amazing as the emotionally damaged, psychopathic Dolarhyde. I mean, when I think of Fiennes, I think of scenes from that film: his breakdown in the attic, the William Blake etching scene, the sexual encounter with Emily Watson on the couch. Those scenes are like masterclasses in acting. I mean, it's a movie worth watching just for his scenes, I think. If the rest of the film was up to his level, it would be a frigging masterpiece. But he's a pro; he gives it everything, even in a pretty mediocre genre film. It's honestly the one I would pick as my favorite.

tom likes this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah he was fantastic in Red Dragon as well.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What did you think of Manhunter? I've seen both versions.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I like Manhunter a lot. I think it's really interesting to see Cox take on Lecter and give us a very different take than Hopkins. I think Peterson is good; Lang, not so much. The score is very, very eighties and the climactic battle is pretty cheesy. But Manhunter has real energy and Will Graham is more disturbing and also more sympathetic in Manhunter than in Red Dragon. He kinda just feels like a dick in Red Dragon; in Manhunter, he's genuinely disturbed and also kind of pathetic. It's a case where neither film really succeeds totally. Marry Mann's direction and Peterson's performance from Manhunter with Fiennes, Hoffman and Elfman's score from Red Dragon and you've got a masterpiece of sorts. I think they're both worth watching and both very flawed. But definitely read the book; it's maybe the best book of its kind, just a pure thriller. I doubt any film version will ever come close to it; the Fiennes scenes in Red Dragon come closest to my mind, though that weird scene where Peterson sees the dead woman with the mirrored eyes in Manhunter also really captures the feeling of the book.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Being that guy in this scenario seems like it'd be annoying because you have to watch a bunch of unconnected projects that just have an actor in common. I suppose you can be watching for their technique's evolution but there'd be no stylistic cohesion, and even the best actors can give middling performances with the wrong directors at the helm.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go on a street corner and shout at passersby for not having committed to memory the complete text of "Une certaine tendance du cinéma français."

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    No, I just read over his filmography to refresh my memory about what all he'd done.

I am one who never takes on large, art-related projects.

18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Recently watched The Last King of Scotland. It was absolutely fantastic, and Forest Witaker and James McAvoy completely rocked their roles.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It may be obvious and a bit high profile, but Fiennes is pretty great as Voldemort, specifically in "Deathly Hallows: Part Two" because he manages to show a supremely powerful being who is also kind of losing his marbles at the same time (moreso!). Check out the bits when they shatter some Horocruxes and his reaction to it. And, probably my favourite scene between the two actors in the series, is Fiennes and Rickman in that boathouse bit. It's so... still, but check out the expression slowly creeping over Fiennes face until the end. Really great stuff throughout. I even love his gloating - "Harry Potter is dead!!", it's so gleefully snarky, like a release of all the tension he's built up throughout the movie.

And this creepy hug!

[​IMG]

How great is that?! It's like he doesn't know how to hug, or has ever been hugged, so he's kinda sorta attempting it and failing.

I actually really love Deathly Hollows Part 2, it's a freakin' siege movie (with magic).

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I dunno, DiCaprio and de Niro would be interesting (though especially depressing with the latter), even if that may just be all the Scorsese. :p

21. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Loved Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort as well, but I think they should,have had him try for a higher pitched voice, like the guy they had play Voldemort in Sorcerers Stone.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Hahaha Lang is so campy and awful.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    My personal favorite Ralph villain is still Amon Goeth, he was just THAT EVIL.

His Onegin was also quite cool, it had him and Liv Tyler, they are my favorite actor+actress.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Today's AMC Movie Talk

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005