main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Spring Word Race! Survey up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The deadline passed before I was able to get back to it, so I'm topped at 14,032.

I'm not abstaining from anything; I would appreciate getting those two days of colours.

Well done, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck for reaching the 25ks! Well done to everyone else.

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    6726 is going to be my final count. It's modest compared to the many very impressive figures on the list—wow, you five-digit folks are nothing short of incredible ^:)^—but it is just over twice what I got on the December word race (3356), and it's two chapters' worth of prose that very likely would not have gotten written otherwise.

So, thanks again for this opportunity, and congratulations to all you fabulous and talented writers! =D= I would love to see this again in August if that works out.

I would not say no to a chance at colors, but this would be my first time getting colors here, so I'd need a little rundown on exactly what to do. [face_blush]

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I basically have to do it. I will simply send you a PM to a website where you can play around with the colours, the website will generate a code and you send me that code. I'll send out those PMs a couple days after everyone posts their final counts.

I'll begin to update the list in a moment, but with another chapter down (!!!!) I'm ending the month at 12357. I'm pretty darn happy.

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Absolutely nothing tonight. Just didn't have the right environment. My muse is super-picky about having to have the perfect environment, which is why my writing sessions are so few and far between. :(

So my final total remains at whatever I posted a few days ago.

Kahara, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    It is that--and it would have gone so very well with the Bauhaus quote in my signature.

But I will have to wear those colors another time, since I am finishing up with (only) 1245 words.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

*sings Bela Lugosi's Dead...and, for extra-nerdy people, Messy's unreleased 'A System for Shutting Everything Out'*

I drafted so much crappola in some semi-awake state last night, including a scene that was inspired by a freakin' Old Testament moment, now I need to count that and leave myself placeholders in two threads where I still need to fix things.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  7. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    If anybody considers doing something like this each month all months for a whole year, you might want to look into 'Get Your Words Out' at livejournal.

It's a community that pledges to write a certain amount of words throughout the year. Pledges start at 75k and go to 500k. Lower goals for people with medical conditions are available on request.
    They offer tools to keep track of the words, discussions, races, wordwars most days of the week, occasional pron wars, sprints, prompts, bingo, big and small bangs, helpdesk,... *takes deep breath*
    Problem: they start each January then sign ups are closed for the year. [face_blush]

I found it works wonders for me, especially keeping track of the written words. There's more of them than I realised. [face_hypnotized]

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    27448, as in:

100 words for Pollo's newest slapstick

5158 as opposed to 3704 words for the post-ROTJ story I won't be posting before I'm 33 or so, by the look of things. O_O

So far, it contains:
    - a wedding
    - a creep trying to hit on a girl at the said wedding for no reason
    - a different kind of a creep hitting on the same girl and changing his mind the way the guy in Katy Perry's Hot'n Cold does
    - a husband and a wife making a toast
    - the first creep apparently having a quickie with a sludgenews* journalist while three middle-aged women express different views about it
    - JAR JAR BINKS, on behalf of the community of Naboo
    - a romantic moment inspired by Ruth and Boaz [no idea how that happened, I am not religious]
    - a male complaining about how other males see him

...and there are two things I still have to edit for posting before posting my total-total. They were both written in May, no new content is added to them, I am just fixing grammar and formatting. I CAN'T DEADLINES. I CAN'T BRAIN.

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    My final total is 9042, which is at least 3k higher than my December total so [face_dancing]

10. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Not competing at all, but I got approximately 14k words down in May. Congrats to everyone, that's a lot of good writing!

11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Congrats everyone! That's going to make so much fun stuff to read in the near future =P~

I have 6 pages of handwritten stuff in my notebook, that I scribbled on the beach over the weekend, but there's no way I'm counting those words manually 8-} So I'll stick to my final count of 25262.

Briannakin As I said when we started, I'm not competing for the prizes.

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Writing at the beach? You...non-landlocked people who don't know what you have! :p

I will still have to add a couple of paragraphs to my one-day-late fanon post, but I sent a raw chapter to my awesome beta and that leaves me with my final count of 29385. For a month with two...things and a semi-flu condition, I am surprised it turned out like this. O_O

And yes, please, now that the impossible happened, I want that special thread, since alien fics need love.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    List has been updated, however, I'm going to wait till tomorrow evening before sending out the prize PMs.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    My count remained at 16320 but I'm happy with that. I'm opting out of prizes this time.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Prize PMs have been sent out. Hopefully everyone who should have gotten one did. I was a bit unsure with a couple people saying they weren't competing but never confirming. So if you should have gotten a PM but didn't, PM me.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oi. I completely forgot to post this. Anyways, I had a couple ideas on how to mix this up for next time. I would like some input from you guys, though the next Word Race may be part of a larger Mod Challenge (not sure yet, depends on how lazy Mav and I get).

1 - leave things the way they are with 5000, 10 000, and 25 000 “marks"

2 - get 3-4 people to be the ‘benchmarks” (these people wouldn’t get prizes - I thought this may work since quite a few people did obtain from prizes). IE: Person A estimates they can get around 5 000 in a month, Person B ~ 10 000, and Person C ~ 20 000. The participants would then try to beat these 3-4 people. If they beat Person A they get prize A, and so on. Thing is, if the 'benchmarks' all totally fail, then everyone gets a sweet prize, but if all the benchmarks get like 30,000 words, no (or very few) prizes will be awarded. IDK, just something to keep it interesting and more like a "race".

3 - TEAM RACES! People sign up for 3-4 teams. IE “Team bragging rights” “Team Colours” “Team Advertisements” “Team FicGifts” that represents what they get if they win (team ficgifts would get the losers to write them ficgifts). All members of the team count their words together. The teams do not have to be equal (so people can’t say I know X person won’t participate after the first week, I don’t want to be on their team) so if like 2 people who know they can write ~25 000 words each want to be up against 5 people who can write 10 000 words and 10+ people who can write less than 5000 word, then they can.

Findswoman likes this.
  17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I like the team idea (says the person who won't participate in the next race if it's in August, but the team idea is fun!)

18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd prefer to leave things the way they are. That way we have specific, clearly defined word counts for a prize threshold. The other options produce moving targets, and I don't like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.