main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Luke and Mara Index & Discussion (2.0)! *New Topic: Change is Hard!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Alright :)

Welcome to the LM index June/July challenge!

Now, your thread host, Briannakin, hates Father's day. You must make me like it again. For this challenge you must write a story where Luke and Mara are celebrating a GFFA holiday for fathers. You must include

1) A child (any age)
    2) The quote "No, I am your father"
    3) Sand

Bonus points if you can include this expression (the infamous "the Grand Master Thinks You Are A Moron" gif).

Annia Piet likes this.
  2. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Oh gawd, what have I let myself in for?!

That GIF is amazing, what's it from?

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The last season of Chuck. Hamill had a small cameo as some French villan, it was great.

4. Annia Piet

Feb 7, 2015
    Darn it, now I'm regretting we stopped watching Chuck :)

5. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    When's the deadline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I have a question about what qualifies for the index. I know this is a relationship thread, but does there have to be romance to be included in the index? What if Luke and Mara both feature prominently and (at least by the end of the story) are on friendly but not romantic terms - does that qualify?

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, that is fine.

There is no deadline.

Tarsier likes this.
  8. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Alright. I'll see what I can whip up after I finish the next chapter to of after her.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
  10. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Wow that was fast

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. That was quick. I have no idea what I'm going to write.

Irish_Jedi_Jade and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Alright, fiiiiiiiiine, PM sent. :p

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yay! The index has been updated! Though I should include my most recent LM fics (way too lazy!).

Also, what is seriously wrong with me? All I can think of is horribly angsty plot bunnies for the challenge.

14. Annia Piet

Feb 7, 2015
    Is it appropriate to chuck round L/M plot bunnies that have been pestering me in here? Don't want to break rules about promoting fics... (Not least because I'm not sure this ones feasible as a story line anyway!)

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    We have the Plot Bunny Donation and Index Thread for that purpose. Anything to help get it going again would be great, since it kinda fell flat on its face at the starting line. :p

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes. That is basically what this thread is for.

Annia Piet likes this.
  17. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    You know what I'm gonna say to that...

[​IMG]

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
  19. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Hey, ladies and gents, I read this wonderful Club Jade editorial today and cried.

One, because I'm an old sap.

Two, because this is so relevant to our interests, and...our struggles.

It should be required reading for everyone but us. ;)

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    ^ Amen.

Now (a bit unrelated) I'm trying to figure out what "Star Wars female" my generation related with. I guess I was at the tail end of the Padmè "generation" but a bit to old to really be the target audience for the Clone Wars. I guess being a teenager and 'growing up' alongside Ben Skywalker, I'll always relate to him. Yes, he was a male character in a male-character-dominated fandom, and yeah, I wish I would have had a Skydaughter to relate to as well as Ben, but I never minded.

But I think Dunc raised a good aside question (DISCUSSION TIME!). If Mara hadn't died, what would your reaction to the de-canonization to the EU have been?

I for one (after the shock wore off) accepted the nuclear bomb to the EU pretty well. Yeah, I guess I'll always be a bit peeved that Jaina and Ben's stories never really finished, but we didn't have a ton of loose ends (AND I NEVER GOT THAT SWORD OF THE JEDI BOOK!). However, Dunc put it well when she said the EU was running on fumes (and, lets face it, IT WAS GETTING SOOOO BAD). But would I still feel this way if Mara had still been alive? I'd like to think so. For me, the "Legends" will never die - we just get more AUs :p

Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Whenever I groused about wanting a reboot in my mind Mara Jade was always in the reboot. To me she was just as canon as Luke, Leia and Han. I couldn't imagine EP7 without her...but I know she wont be there. I am just hoping that J.J. Abrams realizes the incredible popularity of Mara Jade and will at least hint of her existence with Luke at sometime during the movie. If Luke has a son, I hope he has red hair so the EU fans can dream. I would rather have no mention of Luke having a love interest if it wasn't with Mara.

22. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I'm not sure I can answer the question about how I'd feel about de-canonization if she hadn't died because I stopped reading so long before she died anyway.

And to JL's point, I'm the exact opposite. I'd rather a wife or partner regardless of her identity. I just don't want Luke to have been a monk.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  23. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Absolutely. I still remember how devastating Mara's death was for many of us in fandom, not only because she was fridged, but because of just how important Mara was to us. I first started reading the EU books when I was about eight or so, and it was so incredible to read about a character like Mara given such prominence in the narrative, but also to be her own fully formed character that wasn't just a carbon copy of Leia or any other character.

I don't mind at all that the EU was relegated to Legends - it was necessary to sweep all of that away and start fresh. Do I wish they'd bring in more Legends characters like Mara over to the canon universe? Sure, but I'm not holding my breath. Would I be as okay with the decision if Mara had still been alive in Legends? That's hard to answer, but I'd rather have her exist in some form in the new canon, even if she's not going to be with Luke (and I'd rather see him with someone than alone.) It seems that she would fit in perfectly into the Inquisitor/servants of the Emperor they're going with in Rebels and I would jump for joy if she was included in the show even if she doesn't show up in the main films.

taramidala and Nyota's Heart like this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Someone linked to that article on my Facebook and I agree, it was wonderful and so on point.

I think I may have been more upset with the de-canonization if Mara wasn't already dead, but I'm not sure. I've accepted what they've done and moved on, but I'm still holding out hope for some kind of nod to the EU, and I would be over the moon if Mara was mentioned -even if she wasn't Luke's wife, because she was so much more than just that- but I'm not going to hold my breath for her because I don't think it will happen. I'm just hoping for some kind of acknowledgement that those of us who essentally kept Star Wars alive, that our time and money were worth something. I'd be super happy if they did something like an Anthology of Obi-Wan based on JJM's Kenobi.

I'm in the camp of wanting Luke to have someone, even if she isn't Mara. Mara will always be Luke's wife to me, but I can handle an alternate universe where he fell in love and married someone else, and if that happens, I do hope I love her.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I do think it'll be odd to have Luke with another woman besides Mara in the movies (assuming he is married, and she did not die before the movie, or something). I'll probably get over it, but it'll certainly make some things odd if I try to write an AU featuring characters from both Legends and canon.

If I have Luke married to Mara, and they have Ben, but then there's this kid of his introduced in the new movie, and (s)he has a mother who is obviously not Mara, how do I go about integrating said child without implying that Luke at some point cheated on Mara?

I guess in said AU, the mother of this child could be some crazy Luke fangirl and decided to steal a sample of his sperm and use it to artificially impregnate herself with Luke's child because she wants to provide him an heir...crazy, but potential for fun! 8-}