main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's up with Depa Billaba?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by A Lovable Jerk, Jun 6, 2015.

1. A Lovable Jerk

A Lovable Jerk Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    The one thing I don't get with Rebels is why was Depa Billaba chosen to be Kanan's master? At first I thought that she could've been killed in the war before RotS, but according to Rebels she was killed in Order 66, but she clearly wasn't in RotS, not even in the background, hell Tusi Choi is in the movie more than she is.

I get retconning the novels, in this case Shatterpoint, out of cannon, but since Billba wasn't in RotS, seeing as how she wasn't on the council, then why not somebody like Coleman Kcaj?

I mean the council in RotS is: Yoda, Mace Windu, Plo Koon, Obi-Wan, Shaak Ti, Ki-Adi, Kit Fisto, Saesee Tinn, Agen Kolar, Coleman Kcaj, Stass Aliee, and Anakin.

So what, did they just demote her or something?

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    No idea, she was to have fell to the darkside and went insane back in the EU, so she was never supposed to survive. Wonder why Filoni picked her for Kanan's master.

3. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I'm still not sure that Coleman Kcaj is a real person.

4. A Lovable Jerk

Jun 6, 2015
    Neither am I, considering that in the 10 years since his creation no one has bothered to do anything with him. By the way, love your stories Kablob, can't wait for the next chapter of Dusk.

Darthmaul208 and Darth Dnej like this.
  5. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Kcaj is listed as canon and part of TCW's council over on wookiepedia, especially in later seasons he appeared. Unless I missed what you guys are referring to.

6. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Cause he hates Mace and wanted to gut Shatterpoint?

7. A Lovable Jerk

Jun 6, 2015
    We're joking about how absolutely nothing has been done with his character, to my knowledge he's never spoken a single line in a novel or comic or anything.

8. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Guess TCW's Barriss sorta became canon's version of EU's Depa.

Depa was supposed to have been on Crystal Crisis on Utapau arc but it was changed - I don't remember offhand if she was to have been the murdered Jedi who did have a resemblance.

Shadao and whostheBossk like this.
  9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Jack Coleman is the most real person in the entire Star Wars saga.

10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Oddly enough Pablo-Jill is now Legends while this particular character actually had two figures made of it, and one quite recently(2013).

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I haven't read the Marvel Kanan comics yet, but I read over in the Lit forums that Depa Billaba and her padawan Caleb Dume (which was Kanan's real name at that time) were present during the battle of Kaller at the time of ROTS. Billaba was killed by Order 66. Why she wasn't at the council in hologram form like Ki-Adi-Mundi and ohters in ROTS, I don't know. But one thing is interesting: It was reported in the Lit forums that there's a line by Caleb that Billaba had recently emerged from an unverified state. So maybe parts of that EU novel could make their way in official canon.

12. Darth Amr

Darth Amr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    No they didn't demote her
    She crawled out of the plot hole

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Literally nothing: he's never moved. We're not certain he's alive.

14. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Isn't it possible that Depa's term on the Jedi Council expired? Not all members of the Council serve for life, as a matter of fact, isn't it only 1/3 of them that do? I recall references to other Jedi Masters that served and then moved on to other things, like Jocasta Nu.

15. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    What I am getting out of this is that Kcaj is basically Shroedinger's Jedi. Which is just so weird I love it. Depa might have come out of her weird trance just in time for the Council to think ''Aha! A Padawan, she needs. Give her another focus, it will.'' and off she goes with her brand new Padawan when Order 66 happens and everyone is left feeling very silly. (Or dead. Or traumatised.)

RetropME and Random Comments like this.
  16. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    "He's only a model."

17. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
  18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

"The Jedi Council was too broke to add another member to their payroll, but obliged to have every seat filled."

Random Comments and jakobitis89 like this.
  19. Hulitherium

Hulitherium Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2015
    I'm honestly surprised that they haven't even revealed what ultimately happened with Kcaj - it would be great if Pablo or someone just said "he died at the Jedi Temple during Order 66," but we don't even know that.

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Yes in Kanan issue #1 it gives hints that her going crazy still may have ocurred. It doesn't necessarily canonize Shatterpoint but it just indicates she still may have gone mad for a time.

21. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Giving a recently nutso Jedi a brand new apprentice to give them something to focus on DOES seem a pretty Yoda thing to do. I very much doubt the exact details will ever be verified but her lapse into madness can still stand in broad strokes I am sure.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Yeah it is probably not worth coming up with an entirely new story for it. Those that are interested enough to find out can just read Shatterpoint and assume that that was what happened.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Well, the point of Yaddle's death is not canon, but the fact that they even contemplated (even if half jokingly) her appearance in TCW suggests that council members can step down. It was my own fanon, but I kind of assumed that a Jedi Council Member can't have an apprentice, just because I'm not aware of any of the Council members having apprentices while simultaneously serving on the council. It made sense to me that perhaps Depa stepped down from the council to train Caleb, but that's not canon. But of Mace, Plo, Yoda, Ki-Adi, Shaak, etc. none of them are shown to have apprentices. I figured that perhaps duties as master would interfere with duties of council member (just a theory).

24. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I think that's the insinuation. You don't teach a Padawan by sitting on the council. You teach a Padawan by first-hand experience in the field.

...but there's Obi-Wan's line, "If you would just follow the Code, you'd be on the council." Would Qui-Gon be on the council while training Obi-Wan?

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    Coleman Kcaj did move once, right?
    In the episode 'Voices' from The Clone Wars, he stands up from his seat and walks towards Yoda like the other council members. Yes, I'm fun at parties :p.

I realise that it is not canon anymore, but in the Clone Wars microseries, Obi-Wan was on the council while Anakin was still his padawan.

rumsmuggler and Ananta Chetan like this.