main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Anakin/Luke's Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Obi-John Kenobi, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Any theories as to how/why Luke's original saber is apparently in the movie? That thing should be long gone.(along with Luke's right hand!) How the heck would somebody find it? I figure it got sucked out of Cloud City like Luke almost did. I kinda worry that they'll contrive some strange "Excalibur" type importance for it,when the Jedi always seemed to treat sabers as fairly replaceable/interchangeable.

2. tsk91

tsk91 Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2015
    Maybe, Lobot or one of Lando's staff picked it up. If it fell to the surface maybe a sentient picked it up.

3. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Bespin is a gas giant, so there's no surface for anything to fall to.

Maybe the lightsaber was circulating in the planet and someone scooped it up.

4. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Hmmm, that's interesting.

Maybe the team decide to change this and have Bespin be a different type of planet that does have a surface?

I don't know how much of the EU will be followed and how much will be changed.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've been of the same thinking...

I'm hoping they explain the logistics of exactly how it got recovered. I suppose I could believe it if it isn't too far fetched. The thing I'm REALLY wondering though, is how does it miraculously arrive to our main characters?! If rumors are true, the logistics (not to mention the physics) of that part is really hard to imagine-like nearly impossible.

Unless

Maybe it was on some ship that got destroyed in orbit, and the lightsaber made it out of the blast, and was picked up by someone??? Something more believable like that? Or maybe something completely different??? :confused:

I guess we'll see...

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, please keep the rumours at the spoilers allowed section.

natureboy76 likes this.
  7. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Maybe it's not Anakin/Luke's lightsaber, but Luke built a new blade for an apprentice or somebody in the same style?

I do think it's the same weapon, though. Could be stuck in the pipes of Cloud City until an Ugnaught found and sold it, I guess.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This. This thread is on pretty thin ice at this point.

9. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

Sorry about that. I guess I mistakenly figured that if I acknowledge a rumor, but don't actually SAY what the rumor WAS, that it would be okay.

Misinterpretation on my part I suppose. Unintentional, I assure you...[face_blush]

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I wouldn't mind seeing some idea where it's passed down to the offspring of Luke or Leia, though I'd like to have an explanation as to how it was retrieved

11. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Yeah,it seems like an attempt to do a generational thing- handing this important instrument in the lives of two generations down to the next- but I just can't fathom how they found it. It seems like it would be more appropriate to let it go than force it into the narrative.

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    In the EU, the lightsaber went to a scrap metal deposit (while Luke, being organic, went down a different vent), where Ugnaughts picked it up. Vader then rescued it before it was to be smelted. I'm assuming something like that went down.

13. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Like I said before, I don't think that any of the EU stories or "facts" will be used if they decide to go a different direction:

I for one don't think it needs to be explained or it needs to be shown.

One thing I really disliked about some parts of the PT is the exposition dialog for the sake of exposition.

E.G. Explaining how the force works (midi-chlorians). "Wipe the droids memory", the scene with Yoda giving instructions to Obi-wan for "training" on how to become one with the Force, etc., etc.

They were not needed and add no value to the story or the movies. IMHO

One thing that was good about the original Star Wars was that you were dropped right into the story, without any background information or collage or narrator telling you what was going on. All you had to go by was the opening crawl. The Force, the Empire, the Rebel Alliance was all left un-explained. All you knew was that the good guys wanted to rescue the princess and the bad guys wanted to kill the good guys because that's what baddies do.

The rest of the stuff you were left to wonder what it was about and what all those things could mean.

EDIT: I hope the new movie is a bit like that, drop us into the story like it was half way. Don't over explain things or show things. Keep the story telling tight.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I think that Vader's helmet was a hint. Seemed like it was on a pedestal. The alien handing lifting up the saber seemed to be doing so almost reverently. I'm guessing someone is a collector or museum curator and keeps these things around - though whether it's for history or propaganda is anyone's guess.

Alienware likes this.
  15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    According to Marvel Comics, Bespin did have a surface. In fact, the Ugnaughts are indigenous to Bespin. But that's all Legends now, I guess. :)

16. Darth Darthious

Darth Darthious Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2015
    If I was luke I would destroy that lightsaber if I got it since anakin killed a bunch of kids with it and that's kind of disturbing. I don't see why anakins lightsaber was brought back into star wars when it doesn't need to be really. Just make more lightsaber.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  18. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Anakin's saber is the Chosen One...

The whole Saga is now going to revolve around the saber. It will be the story or redemption for the saber.

GL will make some statements in an interview about how the technology of the props in the 70s didn't allow him to make the story he wanted to do about this light saber that gets handed down from father to son to XYZ and how he had to make it about the first person to use the saber i.e. Anankin. But now thanks to technology he can revise the saga as was his original plan and make it about the light saber which is what it was all along.

:D

Only kidding!

19. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    You know, I've been thinking more about if Luke's ESB lightsaber were to serve as the MacGuffin for TFA.

I have realized that (if it IS) this could be a nice bit of continuity in and of itself, to tie all three trilogies together in a subtle, but effective way. I know some don't want to admit/remember it, but after all this lightsaber IS actually Anakin's lightsaber from ROTS. We see it there, used just as much (if not more) as in ANH and ESB. That deserves acknowledgement, IMO.

Also, if we see Luke/Anakin's lightsaber in TFA, and it IS in fact that important to the plot, I would fully expect we will see that thing ignited and used at some point!! That would actually be pretty cool...Maybe Luke doesn't have a lightsaber at this point, for whatever reason-and he uses this one from his past once again, to fight or whatever.

That could be a strong moment!

20. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Well the reason Lando was on Bespin was for mining Tibanna gas. So it's possible mining equipment wind up collecting the lightsaber while performing it's regular function of mining the gas. Who knows, Lando may still have some role on Bespin and that would help explain how the weapon was able to get back to the Skywalker family.

21. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    Well, in the Expanded Universe, the lightsaber which still had Luke's hand attached was discovered by a maintenance drone in the lower air shafts. The drone showed it to Groggin who had no interest in until Darth Vader intervened. Now, the EU is now considered non-canon. Though, this aspect could work. I mean, ideas from the EU can be applied. The crossguard lightsaber was of EU origin and that's in Episode VII.:D

22. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Regardless of its role, I don't think it's necessary to explain in the movie how it got to be where/with who it shows up.

It may be that Anakin's LS will be the maguffin in the film. Just like the plans in R2 were for ANH. The plot device that propels the characters into action.

In ANH the plans are loaded by Leia into R2 and these "plans" are the reason OB1 and Luke go to Alderaan and then to Yavin.

In LOTR it's the One ring.

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Good point. According to the novel, ROTJ takes place six months after TESB, so who knows if Lando went back? I doubt it, though.

The first Marvel Comics series made it seem like that Luke went back for it as soon as possible, so who knows if Luke had it all along, anyway. Maybe later on Luke just wanted to distinguish himself as a skilled Jedi and built his own, regardless if he still had his father's.

So many questions.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not particularly happy about this at all because I do not want Luke's lightsaber to have any specific importance to anyone but Luke.

No "chosen lightsaber" crap, please.

I'm not a fan of exposition for exposition's sake either but in this case, I need to know how the lightsaber got off Bespin and ended up in the hands of our main characters 30 years later. "It just did, OK?" isn't going to work for me; it will remind me of some of the aspects of TCW that we were told not to ask about.

25. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The Skywalker lightsaber was first and foremost, always an Excalibur allegory.