main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Good point. If they're consolidating the companions and you are now "The" Outlander, then... yeah, it sort of implies you and you alone are now the hero.

Not that, necessarily, there can't still be other people alive out there, just you're the only one who'll live through the hero storyline of being frozen and waking up to save the galaxy, etc...

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Knights of the Fallen Empire - Origins

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  3. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    That's what I've been thinking about. I hope they release something about how this works because I invested in each class and would like a way to have them all alive. If I'm not given a logical way to believe that, u will have to assume they're all dead.

4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I won't be surprised if they never really address it, given the different classes storylines rarely (if ever?) interacted in the original storylines, with maybe just the exception of the fact a Jedi had killed the Emperor, but.. that's about the only one I remember..?

Though it would be sooooo nice to see the other classes referenced in random snippets of dialogue. I appreciate there's an element of spoilers that they might not want to ruin for people who haven't played other classes, but.. it's not like it's a spoiler that a high ranking Jedi Consular is alive, so they could at least mention the other toons a little...

Even something like a reference to "After that incident with Zash..." would work, as that isn't spoiling the Inquisitory story-- if anything, it would make someone intrigued about what incident it's talking about!- so I'd love some more class story interconnectivity and acknowledgement.

Revanfan1 and JediKnight75 like this.
  5. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    There are more, primarily in the agent storyline. There's references to Darth Thanaton and Baras being involved in power struggles, and reinforcements coming into Corellia under the knight and trooper. Also, charactersince in other class stories are members of the State Cabal. I know other classes have references but I can't remember what they are; there was a thread on the SWTOR forums about them a few years ago rhough. But, ya, u agree, I'd like more. It would make the universe feel more connected.

In terms of the expansion though, I'd be happy with just a blog post explaining what happens to the classes

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was thinkng this too. Maybe the destruction of Korriban seen in the trailers is the Zakuulians destroying stuff that was built by what they see as "false Sith". Only three of Rajivari's principles survived, so maybe the Zakuulians are angry that Ajunta Pall didn't follow Rajivari's other principles.
    Dawn of the Jedi definitely needs to be followed up on (when and how did the Je'daii abandon balance in favor of only the light side and when and how did "Je'daii" become "Jedi"?) It's funny that you mention mention the Killiks, because the Joiners in TOR have black eyes. Does that remind you of someone?

7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Oooh, they do? Interesting..

I'm skeptical if it's connected and not just a graphical thing, but.. I agree it was always a bit creepy when I first spoke to a Joiner in TOR, as it made them look a whole lot more sinister than they necessarily are. I suppose, with how good BioWare are at suddenly introducing unexpected antagonists out of nowhere (Rakata, Reapers, etc), I suppose it's still feasible that the Kwa and Dathomiri stuff in Dawn of the Jedi could end up meaning Zakuul was borne out of resistance to the Infinite Empire?

Albeit it might still have gone nuts and become bad, but.. the Kwa have been noticeably absent in TOR, despite all the other odd races they've included like Gree.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I always assumed the Je'daii abandoned their balanced approach when faced with the evil of the Rakata; because they needed to balance it out with their light; thus Forcesabers, which rely upon negative emotions, go out of use.

However, they could have abandoned the balance if the Bogan escaped, and the Je'daii had to be their opposite in their shame.

I have been quietly impressed with how the Killiks were used in ToR. From the correct name of the Alderaan hive, to the use of the 'Dawn Herald' as opposed to the future title of 'Night Herald'. They have been very well used.

Sent from the World

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I thought it was pretty well implied that what happened was after the war with the Rakata, some of the Je'daii like Daegon refused to give up their Forcesabers (presumably Rajivari felt the same way), whereas others did give them up, thus splitting the Je'daii into the Ashla and Bogan factions and resulting in the Force Wars proper.

Ashla won, and thus there's that "bias."

Of course, I'd argue that the Jedi have been about balance regardless, or at least are supposed to be. Certainly in the early Episode I spin-off literature they are, as well as the NJO (which I consider born out of that same thematic era).

And it also makes sense, even if inadvertent, that the later literature that was published around Episode II and III made the Jedi less about balance, because in fighting the Clone Wars and the Sith, they bought into the duality and made themselves opposed to the other side in it, rather than transcending it for the purpose of balance. That's pretty much what Yoda realizes during his duel with Sidious in the senate hall, though he seems to apply that to the Jedi since the conclusion of the Light and Darkness War -- even their adherence to balance in the Episode I era was insincere, except I'd argue in the case of Qui-Gon.

And Jacen is ultimately the one to rediscover this in earnest, despite Yoda's realization, because Luke was kind of in the wrong place at the wrong time to be the one to truly learn it.

darklordoftech and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The Bounty Hunter story (despite being one of the most boring) certainly has a major effect considering they get rid of Supreme Chancellor Janarus, and then after that we're stuck with Saresh as Supreme Chancellor (wonder if she'll be killed during the time skip, wouldn't miss her). The Agent's story mentions Darths Baras, Vowrawn and Thanaton being more busy trying to kill each other rather than fighting the Republic. Darth Marr's references to infighting probably includes the Sith Warrior and Inquisitor storylines.

There are other more minor links, such as companions knowing other companions from other classes. For instance, Risha used to be childhood friends with Vette, before the gang broke up after the "death" of Risha's father. Imagine if after the PC disappeared if they hooked back up during the time skip. Qyzen, the Consular's companion, knows Mako, the Bounty Hunter's first companion. Some even appear, in person or just in holocoms.

I expect the "Outlander" will just feature the same approach they've been using for most of the non-class specific stuff. "Hello Republic/Imperial person, you are so wonderful, one reference to class (Jedi Master, "my lord", etc.) I have a problem, can you fix it for me?" Without any specific references to whatever happened to the rest of the class PCs. It would be fun if you could run into them (sort of like how Hawke appeared in Inquisition, or so I've heard), but I doubt it.

The most I'm hoping for is that if and when you do run into old companions who are now important NPCs, that they'll just have extra dialogue with their original player character or something like that (or even better, extra conversations). Even better if it would refer back to old conversations, but I doubt that (and I finished most of those conversations years ago, so I barely remember most of them).

Lana's already been confirmed as a companion I think (based on the Massively interviews), so she'll probably be there as the resident darkside nagging presence. "Sure, use the civilians as human shields, sure, leave those refugees to die, all for the greater good", etc., etc.

11. Sirdi

Sirdi Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2015
    The way they're resetting the story after lvl 60 seems to be focusing in way that is like KOTOR. I assume it is going to play up the single-player story mode far more and questing will be the best way to "grind".

12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I just finished chapter 1 of Jedi Consular.

I chose to kill every jedi master, including Yuon, in the end I chose to strike down Viviac and caused hundreds of masters' death. I was surprised at the Jedi Council never really object my action, even though they knew I could shield them. All they said was "there were some concern of my methods" in the end. I understand that such killing might be necessary for the big outcome, but none of the masters really spite my series of slaughter is a bit...unexpected.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  13. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    They don't do much more than growl a bit in Kotor if you do evil stuff (like wipe out the Romeo and Juliet families).

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I've not played Consular, but what little I vaguely understand of the storyline, I think there could be a reason for that Slowpokeking although I could be overinterpreting some of the stuff I know about the story.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Speaking of slowpokeking, how will these eloquently decorated vaults fit into the time hop of 5 years?

Sent from the World

16. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    New codex entries from Yavin IV (PTS Server)

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A war among the Massassi? Massassi rejecting Naga Sadow? Interesting... I wonder if this means that there are unmutated Massassi still roaming the jungles of Yavin. It wouldbs interesting to meet unmutated Massassi and see their civilization.

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Very interesting. Like darklordoftech I love the idea of these Massassi who rejected Sadow and went off to form their own, independent group of clerics that remained pure and uncorrupted...

So many stories from Yavin that never got told.. I wonder if this was taken from their abandoned Naga Sadow expansion before Yavin got reused for the Revan expansion...? I'd still like them to patch in a flashpoint (or even operation, as at least I could watch the cutscenes on YouTube, even if I never played it myself) which focused on a temple still haunted by Sadow's spirit or the Massassi or something..

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    They better. Yavin is one of the most lore-heavy locations in the GFFA, and no Jedi or Sith in their right mind would ever ignore so much of their own history. Darth Nox ignoring Sadow would be like a descendent of the Pharoes ignoring the pyramids.

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Doubt it now that they are doing this fallen empire thing.

I really want to see (even read all the text of) the story they ORIGINALLY planed for Yavin and Ziost, not this new thing.

21. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I think this is that story. If there are hints of it in Shadows of Revan, than they had to have had this planned for over a year. Also, KOTFE is so huge that it would have needed to be in develop for a long time. I think what we have seen since Makeb was wrapping up story threads so they could get to this point and try not to disapoint players. So they finished up the stuff with the Dread Masters, then they brought back Revan because fans were upset with his previous scenes and the game was advertised as a continuation of KOTOR. Since the emperor was supposed to come back they tied those two things together. Meanwhile they dropped hints at what was to come. I think we will see more with the emperor later in KOTFE, I think it follows with them having some plan since the last expansion. Especially since Ziost extended that plotline. What I think we are seeing is the culmination of a long term plan, rather than a change in direction. This couldn't have been a new idea, it's too big and complex.

22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

You miss understand, Revan was the changed plan, I want to know what their first post-Makeb ideas where (aside from having another Empire Civil War, on Rakata Prime, which honestly I am glad they dropped)

23. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Oh, that would be interesting. I'm not sure they would have had much of a plan though. Wasn't that right around the time where they changed the team? So I'd assume the current team was developin their own plan, and the former team just had a couple ideas figured out, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

There was a lot of stuff done before the change, much of which was reused in SoR and it's lead up.

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012