main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion New Canon Materials (Rebels, Comics, Novels, etc.)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by hippie1kenobi, Feb 22, 2015.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Highly recommended.

The plot isn't all that exciting, but all of the history and insight about Tarkin make it an interesting read.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Do we know how long after ROTJ Aftermath takes place and what time period it covers? Since TFA takes place decades post Jedi, perhaps I will read Aftermath if it's far removed from the events of VII.

3. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    From the sounds of things in the synopsis, it's immediately after ROTJ.

4. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Kinda sounds awfully reminiscent of the Zahn trilogy.... but I'll burn it if it contains ysalamari

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'll burn it if it contains clones with an extra "u" in the name :p

Beezer, BigAl6ft6 and jaqen like this.
  6. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    What about extra A's? Like Daarth Vader? Or Emperor Paalpatine? :D

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  7. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Or Alderaaan

Beezer and TigerCraneFist like this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

I propose that if they are to have clones of known characters - double all vowels! Luukee Skyywaalkeer. Leeiiaa Oorgaanaa. Haan Sooloo.
    In the remake of Heir to the Empire, we will have Jooruus C'baaooth.

9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    You're all forgetting about the epic duel between Jaaar-Jaer Biiienks and Darth Caeiyduuus!

10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Nope, just saving it for the sequel.

Forbidden Island and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I convinced myself the other day that I am going to read these books in advance of the film. I figure by that time spoilers will really be out in full force and even harder to avoid, so something like these books will give me something Star Wars related to do while I fight the urge to read about the movie's plot.

Skellybobs, Chris_Fives and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    Well, I was going to avoid the direct tie-ins, but after a certain scene from that trailer, there's one I don't think I'll be able to avoid. I need answers!

13. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Same here..

There will be some direct easter eggs here and there that will connect with TFA but I believe overall it will just explain more or less what was going on in the galaxy for these 30 years.. so if we want it or not it will give us some inside view on the mood of TFA

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Finally watched Rebels, now I need to re-up my Netflix to catch up with TCW. Great show, definitely has people that really love Star Wars behind it.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  15. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    I wasn't really following EU in the past.. I have only read books and some comics from prequel era, so for me EU reboot is a good thing.
    Currently I am reading everything and following all the stuff and it feels nice to know that everything is official and the quality is also very good so I can't complain!

Looking forward to what the future holds for us!!

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm not reading the comics, but they are coming out fast and furious... wow. And as far as the new canon novels go, I thought I would be reading some of those (such as Aftermath and maybe others from the "Journey to TFA" project), but I think I'm already overwhelmed by them and may not even bother. I haven't read any of the new canon ones before these either, like Tarkin or A New Dawn, and with all of these on the horizon it's going to be a lot to keep track of. I appreciate how these are canon and everything, but even with that in place I guess I don't feel like getting into new SW novels again after the handful of EU novels that I read before.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge: The "Are 'Journey to E7' Books Spoilers?" thread has now been merged into the overall "New Canon Materials (novels, etc.)" thread.

18. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but both HttJ and LotS lost me about halfway through. They each just seemed to stall out without ever really regaining my interest. I never actually did finihs HttJ and I am having to force myself to finish LotS. Still looking forward to Aftermath, though.

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Although I thought those creatures were an interesting idea in their own right, I always felt it seemed too much of an easy-out plot device...

Beezer and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  20. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    A New Dawn was decent. Certainly not as horribly nerdserving as other EU I've read. It was good enough that I'll give some of the other books a try, but I don't feel like I know Kanan or Hera much better after reading it. There's more character development in the first few issues of the Kanan comic, for cryin' out loud! (I HIGHLY recommend that one, if you haven't picked it up. Best of all the canon comics for my money, even better than Vader.)

Chris_Fives likes this.
  21. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    So far I am really enjoying all of this new stuff.

The weakest parts for me as of now were Tarkin novel and Leia series.

Just finished reading Lords of the Sith and really enjoyed it! A New Dawn was also really good!

Currently on 5th chapter of Dark Disciple! So far it's good;)

22. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I liked A New Dawn, and think it deserves props for the difficulty factor in writing a new novel with new characters. I think Darth Vader is the best of the comics, but I also enjoyed Lando #1 quite a bit.

23. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Why are some of the novels in the "Journey to E7" books taking place during the OT? Are there going to be hints about the ST in them?

24. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    My thoughts exactly... They have 30 years gap to fill and they are still focusing on OT era.. We had 3 movies, current comics and 2 novels about it... enough already!

25. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Good to hear you guys recommending A New Dawn, I've been waiting to buy it for a while and it's just dropped below £6 GBP for the kindle edition on Amazon UK.

Sounds like its worth pulling the trigger on and I love Star Wars Rebels. We just saw the Siege of Lothal special last Saturday in the UK and thought it was excellent. Although I've not seen all of The Clone Wars (just got to S1 Disc 2 in the chronological order), it was a real "moment" when Ahsoka, Ezra, and Kanan felt the force tremor that was Vader and Ahsoka gasped and swooned. I thought "Damn! He Knows!"