main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph (The) Suicide Squad

Discussion in 'Community' started by BigAl6ft6, Jul 13, 2015.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, haven't seen a thread and there's a trailer so, yeah

I'ma dyed in wool Marvel Zombie but I do like the menacing vibe of this, and I even like a lot of David Ayer's output, even Sabotage! And I think just from the multiple crooks on a mission vibe it is probably the most similar to Sabotage (however, generally Ayer's stuff is about guys on a mission with morally ambiguous backgrounds. Musing and shootouts ensue. Looks to happen here too, with superpowers!)

And I don't care that the Joker has tats. Hell, he has a giant dragon back tat in All Star Batman & Robin. So that's a thing. Just be scary, thank you. Last few seconds of trailer seem to provide that.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I demand this be re-subtitled to "A Will Smith film starring Will Smith." Speaking of whom, I have been relatively disappointed in his out put as of late. Hopefully this will be a return to his Classic roles. Do we have any idea who is penning the lead single/theme song? The costume gave me a lot of hope.

xblackout likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Why do we have a DCU thread if every DCU film gets its own thread?

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If Smith didn't write a song for Men in Black 3, damn skippy he ain't writin' one for this. Also, at least from the trailer, I thought there was a nice balance between the cast in what looks like an ensemble flick (as most of Ayer's movies are. Yes, Brad Pitt is the star of Fury, Arnold Schwarzenegger is the star of Sabotage, but it's spread around a lot and both of those movies play more like ensemble flicks than star-driven vehicles. Probably happen again here.). As for Smith and Robbie, I thought their chemistry in the fairly meh-worthy Focus basically dragged that movie across into something fairly watchable for most of it's running time. Although I dunno how much interacting Deadshot and Harley would do. But even the one shot of Harley smiling all crazy-like in the teaser worked well for me.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Does anyone know how closely this follows the DCAU movie of the same title? Because it looks exactly the same.

Is Affleck in this, then?

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I just have one question: How the heck are they going to market toys of the movie at places like Wal-Mart, Target, and Toys R Us with that title? Toy companies will rename things so as not to upset parents, like calling figures of Hellboy "Big Red" or shorten Kick-Ass 2 to KA2. Heck, I remember Toy Biz renamed action figures of X-Men characters like Holocaust and Orphan-Maker to Nemesis and The Protector, respectively.

Just something I've thought about.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Forget where I read it but I think I read a-rumblin' that this may end up being an R-rated (Ayer's output tends to do that) so this one might not get a mainstream toys-r-us happy meal friendly toy push. DC has toys to fall back on with all of that Justice League a-dawnin' so maybe they could pull it off.

Well the trailer shows Batman in the movie so he might be in it a tad. Maybe just relegated to voiceover work for his stand-ins/stunt doubles. Or maybe Batman doesn't say a damn thing. But the Batman v Superman trailer did show the aftermath of some Joker carnage (Robin suit in the batcave) so that might play into here.

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Makes sense.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Gettin' Suicidal With It

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That was really one of the most terrible products from the DCAU I've ever seen, so I'm hoping it diverges widely. That said, I agree, the imagery does look like something of repeat.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Affleck was also reportedly seen on the SS set, so yeah, probably him for at least a bit.

But yeah I like the look of it and the look of the characters. I'm sure it'll be fun to see some intereaction between Joker and Harley, and Amanda Waller already seems spot-on to her usual portrayal. (by which I mean the DCAU, since that's really my only exposure to her)

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Harley looks incredible; they've basically put Arkham Harley straight on the screen. But Leto's Joker looks like a terrible take on the character, and I don't trust Ayer with this material at all. So I'm not finding the trailer reassuring.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Ayer's strength, aside from grim n' gritty (which is sorta key if you're doing a movie aboot superpowered goons but this looks turned up to 11) is that he's good at juggling multiple characters and at least making each character distinctive so that they stand out in the ensemble, even if that ensemble character may be defined by a singular character trait but that's kind of what you get when you throw, like, 6+ characters on a mission.

14. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Dislike.

1. Unless people already know these characters, they are going to be completely lost. They should have done a Guardians of the Galaxy style thing and given each character a bit of an introduction. Perhaps having Amanda Waller listing each of the inmates to her military contact guy and giving him a file on each.
    2. Harley Quinn is....Stripperella Targaryen? Killer Croc is....Hannibal Goomba?
    3. Jared Leto seems to be channeling Heath Ledger's Joker...after getting a shower and a haircut.
    4. Equally unimpressive is his makeup job. If I hadn't seen the promotional stills released via twitter a few months ago, I would totally be confused as to who this guy is. He looks more like Chris Kattan's Goth Talk SNL sketch.
    [​IMG]

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm not sure grim is his strength; his films tend to be an ugly, unpleasant type of nihilistic, which is exactly why I don't trust him to make an enjoyable adventure out of his Super Emo Villain Death Team.

As for multiple characters, he did a decent job with Fury, but he only had what, four characters there? And he didn't even do much to define Michael Pena's character. Sabotage had a more comparable cast size, and of its proto-Suicide Squad of law enforcement animals, all it managed to define were The One Who's Arnold Schwarzenegger, The Insane Woman, The Insane Woman's Husband, and The Five Or So Who Aren't Arnold Schwarzenegger. I mean, tell me one thing about Terrance Howard other than that he's the subject of a late plot twist while still managing to have no character whatsoever.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I wouldn't disagree with you that he tends to go overboard on grim into "nihilistic" but I wouldn't think just from the vibe of this teaser that they are really not going for an adventure caper, it seems to be a dive into the crazy, nihilistic side of the super-villain pool. If that's the movie he's gonna make, I'm willing to see how it turns out. Can't accuse them of doing a bait and switch. Hell the trailer ends with Joker straight up threatening to torture someone. Alright and since it's the Joker and an Ayer movie, pretty sure that's going to happen.

As for the Sabotage / Suicide Squad comparison, I'd argue that the insane woman is what defines her character in the ensemble because she's the crazy lady - which has a payoff in the climax. When you have that many characters, there isn't much time devoted to depth, you sketch them as basically defined by a single trait or even a visual tic (big dude who wasn't Arnold wore his sunglasses in basically every scene and had a facial hair. There, simple single thing but makes one stand out.) and then throw them at each other / outside force. and at least from the Suicide Squad trailer, they at least made them visually stand out from each other. Killer Croc at least looks memorable to these eyes - big green scaly dude. Okay, sure, why not?

17. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The trailer for this reminds me of a video game trailer.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    He was:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Okay, more seriously:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    As a DC fan, I tried to care while watching the trailer, but I didn't. :(

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    really? seemed pretty obvious to me.

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So who else thinks this will turn out to habe been better?

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This is the only DC movie I'm interested in.

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Gorefiend, I was thinking the same thing and I really enjoyed the cartoon for how adult it was.
    I was really disappointed with Son of Batman. I was expecting it to be more bloody and graphic, but it was the opposite and I fell asleep. If you haven't seen it, skip it.

24. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    There is an easy way to check if Batman is in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386697/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

So Ben Affleck is in it as Batman since he isn't the focus of this movie, I imagine little screen time, not only that have you seen his IMDB page he will be in 5 different movies as Batman, he better not suck cause we are stuck with him.
    Looks like he just revived his acting career big time. And will play Batman in more movies than any other actor. It remains to be seen if he can beat Bale, I will reserve judgment for now.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Remember when Christopher Walken was in TPM? Fun times.

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.