main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 2015 Fanfic Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Well, I've written...one chapter for one of my WIPs, and I'm almost finished with a chapter for the other one. And I have about half a one-shot written. So probably not on track to finish them by the end of the yeah, but I'm making a little progress.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  3. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    In January, I made my intention to accomplish the following public:

1. Finish my entry for the 2009 (yes, that is correct--2009) diary challenge.
    2. That is all.

So: I have written one and a half posts (while admittedly, I wrote the half entry before I made the resolution, I still wrote it this year). They're both fairly short, since it is a diary, but short entries are still entries written--and if I had gone with the less ambitious option and only made a resolution to make some progress, I would have won already. I'm reasonably sure I will write at least another entry's worth, but I'm no longer so sure I will be able to actually finish the story. Oh, I could--but I have the rest of the story decently planned out, and I know I still have pages and pages to go, which means I wouldn't be able to work on anything else. And I'm pretty sure this story isn't worth that sort of focus.

That said, I still really, really, really want to finish it. I suppose I shall see what my future whims are.

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Forum RPGs can indeed be VERY time consuming. Had I discovered proper fanfic before stumbling onto the RPG I'm in, I probably would never have gotten into the RPG in the first place and would have quite a large amount of fanfic posted on these boards.

I honestly don't know what my future is in the game once my current storyline is over. I've already given up my assistant GM responsibilities. So let me add a new resolution:

6. Decide how or if I want to continue in my RPG.

metophlus likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Since we're bringing up resolutions:

Well, now that we're at mid-year, finishing may be a bridge too far. [face_blush] But I still think I might be able to swing "substantial progress." Here's hoping, anyway... [face_good_luck]

metophlus, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Well, my resolutions right now are as badly off-track as the Greek economy, so this is going to be fast.
    1. Ain't gonna happen if the government keep up the insanity.
    2. N/A
    3. Done February-May, fail in June-July. See #1 for the future.
    4. Success so far, see #1 for the future.
    5. Can someone remind me what "original fic" writing means?
    1-4. I have 22 unread threads on my list right now. Do I need to elaborate?

metophlus, Kahara, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  7. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I have finished my longfic and am in the process of posting. I've not yet started the sequel other than a few abstract notes/scenes, although I have a pretty good idea of the main plot and a few of the smaller ones.

I still have one other WiP to finish (not counting those I started in 2015).

8. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    1. Complete my current WIP by September 1st. I'm almost there.

2. Begin and complete short story "Blush Response" by mid-September.

3. Make considerable progress in my next planned epic by Christmas.

Findswoman likes this.
  9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, since this was bumped, here's another update.

March update
    May update
    July update

Late August update:

1. Will finish next week, whether I like it or not because of the constraints of the game. The finale is half-written, but I need to stop procrastinating and get the other half written with enough time to edit and maaaaaayyyyybeeee write a deleted scene/alternate ending.
    2. Still 2,810, and still on hold. But my short-term goal is to get another 3,000 words written, even if only part of an outline, by the end of September. (Yeah, right... :p)
    3. Will hopefully work on that next month. I actually have two more plot bunnies that have the potential to be novel-length, so it's a competition now. :p
    4. Still N/A until November.
    5. Not likely.

6. A bit too early to make that decision. Plus, another potential RPG opportunity has been presented to me, so I may eventually end up shifting gears (somewhat literally, as it's a racing game) and doing that instead. But right now I'm thinking that I want to focus on fanfic for a while.

Admiral Volshe and metophlus like this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    My revised new goal for the rest of the year is to write and touch up two mammoth sections of Emerging from Shadows. It has been a rocky year both personally and writing-wise but I am hopeful that perhaps by some time in 2016 Cushy can show that bringing the Star Wars to a close is possible. :)

11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    October came and we're entering the final stretch of the year. Update time!

1st quarter update
    2nd quarter update
    1. *panicked voice* I'm on it, I'm on it! I'm awfully late, but if I discipline myself I can do this. *self-flagellates*
    2. N/A
    3. Fail. I didn't post in July, reserved a placeholder in August which I haven't filled yet and didn't do even that in September. Time for some serious catch-up.
    4. So far I participated in the OC Revolution Winter Challenge, the OC Revolution Spring Challenge, the Spring Word Race and the Fanfic Olympics. I also signed up for the Movie Quote Challenge, the OC Revolution Fall Challenge and the Poetry Inspiration Challenge -- if I manage to squeeze two of those by the end of the year, I'm good [face_relieved]
    5. It's not like my original fic writing could interfere -- I didn't write any original fic and I hardly wrote any fanfic anyway.
    1. I have a long list of very diverse fics I want to read. The problem is, I haven't read them yet.
    2. I think I can officially drop this goal for 2015. I did read a couple of fics, but I still haven't managed to play KotOR and that's not likely to happen anytime soon.
    3. I have several diaries among those unread fics. I will catch up.
    4. Does this even apply when I have 30+ unread threads on my list?

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    A month and a week? Okay, here goes:

March update
    May update
    July update
    Late August update

1. Done. I had to move a little faster on the finale than I wanted to, but I did have it done in time to edit it. Given the procrastination earlier in the year, though, I give myself a C−.
    2. Added another 721 words, outlining a plot bunny stolen from the old index. :D (Speaking of which, I need to bump that...) New total is 3,532. (Don't ask where the extra word is coming from; Open Office isn't telling me. :p)
    3. Hoping to work on it some more over the next week or two, though the rapidly cooling weather does take away one of the methods by which I've been working on the outline (lying on the grass at a local outdoor mall with my tablet and a notepad app).
    4. Still N/A until November.
    5. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAnope.

6. Decision: Staying in the RPG, though in a reduced and less active role. Hopefully that frees up time to work on fanfic.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Fourth-quarter update. "Substantial progress" still may happen (maybe I'll get to the end of part 2?), but it will also depend on how things go with a few smaller projects that have come up.

15. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't find my post in here, which is super strange...I'm thinking that I posted it in a social thread or something! Whoops!

Anyway, I started with the goals of:
    -Reach 75,000 words for She Shall Rise Again.
    -Write at least 100,000 words for the entire year.
    -Work on my Firmus Piett/Imperial plot bunnies and start posting a few.
    -Start working on and hopefully finish Survival.
    -Finish an entire fic before posting it.
    -Participate in 2 challenges, minimum.

As of November 2015, some of those goals have been achieved, and some have been changed.
    Achieved:
    -Reach 75,000 words for SSRA.
    -Write 100,000+ words for the entire year.
    -Participate in 2+ challenges.

Changed:
    -Finish as much of possible of She Shall Rise Again.
    -Finish an entire fic before posting it (status, just under 50% complete). This has now become finish "Uprising".
    -Write at least 150,000 words for the entire year.
    -Finish at least 5 chapters of both of my Imperial stories before December 31st...and do not worry about posting right now.
    -Don't worry about Survival right now.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I sort of did them all. For number three I ended up just writing the 2013 NaNo plot into my 2015 Diary and I suspect if I continue the diary in 2016 I will be able to finish the plot. Right now I am only part way through the story.

My goals for 2016:

1. Do a diary challenge
    2. Do the 2016 NaNo.

I am not very ambitious for the coming year.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yet.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Does a mod have to start the 2016 thread, or can I do it?

1. I never started a thread.

2. I'm done with 2015 and eager to put lots pressure on myself for 2016.

jcgoble3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.