main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Poetry Inspiration Challenge—More poems available

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman , Mar 9, 2015.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Poems sent, and index updated. Woo-hoo! :D

Once again, if anyone who's taken a number so far doesn't like the poem they received, or would prefer to try another one, just let me know, and we can set that up.

Annia Piet likes this.
  2. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Is #1 still open?

Nyota's Heart and Findswoman like this.
  3. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Just posted my response to this challenge here: Like Stone

Nyota's Heart and Findswoman like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Index updated—thanks so much for posting! :)

7. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Sorry, hope no one minds this double post—I just wanted to give a quick clarification of some rules for this challenge. It is OK to ask for a second poem—but please, do so only after you've finished and posted your response to the first poem you got, and please no more than two each so that there will be enough to go around.

Thanks, and sorry for any confusion!

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL Thanks. That's why I'm reining in my urge to ask for a third. [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  9. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    Annia Piet and Findswoman like this.
  10. SeparatistSympathizer

SeparatistSympathizer Jedi Knight

May 14, 2014
    If it's still available, might I take #2? I'd like to take a crack at it.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, indeed it is still available—I've sent the PM and updated the index. :)

Four more left, if anyone else out there is interested! :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I finally came up with a response:

Epiphany

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Can't wait to take a look at that tonight. :D

Findswoman likes this.
  14. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'll go ahead and take #10.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  15. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi everyone—I hope no one minds if I just write to check in quickly on how things are going for those who have not yet contributed a story to this challenge.

Now, this is in no wise intended to rush anyone, and it's still the case that there is NO DEADLINE WHATSOEVER. But I do remember a few folks mentioning that they were stuck on coming up with stories based on the poems they received (I myself being one of them [face_blush]). Thus I wondered if a little discussion and brainstorming might help—sometimes just talking things like this through with other writers can be enough to set the muse in motion. Do let me know. :)

(Mods, I hope this kind of thing is all right in a challenge thread of this kind. If it's not, I'll delete this post without argument.)

mavjade , Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  16. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Still working on mine. It grew larger than I anticipated, to be honest.

Findswoman likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Larger than anticipated, some of my favorite words [face_laugh]

Findswoman and whiskers like this.
  18. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005

I still have mine. I have a vague idea where it is going but nothing concrete has coalesced so far. I can't say when I will get it done, but it's mulling.

I've taken the general theme of the poem and a significant line that kind of encapsulates that theme. Now I need to figure out which characters best represent that theme and apply it to them. (My stories usually work from the character outward.)

Findswoman and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm still mulling over mine - I want to write something less obvious but am still waiting for inspiration to strike.

Findswoman likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEE for the obvious too especially when L/M are involved [face_laugh] :cool:

Findswoman and JadeLotus like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Give it time, don't hurry. :)

JadeLotus and Findswoman like this.
  22. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks for the updates, everyone. Ewok Poet gives excellent advice for all: don't rush, give it time! Again, there's no deadline here.

That's completely fine—there's no length limit either. I look forward to seeing what you have come up with for yours (you got a very famous one). :)

I have a few guesses about what that line might be; the poet you got is good with encapsulating big, cosmic themes in pithy, concise statements. :cool: And I'd be curious to hear if my guesses are correct—but only if you don't mind sharing (it can be by PM, too).

As for the characters representing the theme, it seems that could go a couple different ways: it could be (a) someone you believe is an example of that significant line, or (b) someone who believes in the sentiment expressed therein, or (c) both. (But this is assuming I'm thinking of the same line you are, and I might not be.)

Just by way of brainstorming, here are a couple of paths you might take for a less obvious interpretation of your poem:

(a) Your poem (also very famous!) makes the speaker's gender very clear, and ditto for the person being spoken about. One thing to do could be to reverse them. And, indeed, for some of the principal pairings in the SW universe, those sentiments would arguably be even more in character with the genders opposite. :cool:

(b) If you want to take a darker approach, the poem you got could be even interpreted as an instance of negging.

Hope this is helpful at least to start, and I'm glad to discuss any of this or any of the poems with anyone who likes. :)

JadeLotus, whiskers and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Findswoman , are these still open if we want to pick one? I just saw this! :)

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Most certainly, Volshe! You're welcome to pick any number on the list in the first post that doesn't have someone's name next to it already. :)

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  25. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yay! Thanks! :D
    #14's bugging me (all alone, it's like the last kid in PE :p) so I'll go with that.