main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rewriting the originals

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There are dice in the cockpit; they're shiny/chromed, and Chewie bumps them with his head.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    ANH: Give Chewie a medal. Show Alderaan. Have Leia show more emotion over losing her entire planet and family.

ESB: Put the Grand Vizier, Sate Pestage back in. Mention Han's Imperial background. I mean he made General already?

ROTJ: Another super weapon besides another Death Star, do multiple Death Stars, or at least make it harder for the Rebels to destroy. I'd really would liked to see Leia go after Luke and face Vader. Kind of like in the ROTJ Infinity comic. Have Sidious bring up Yoda and Padme.

Make the stormtroopers look more competent. They are kind of pathetic in the OT. Have more diverse species at least in the Rebellion. More girls too, I feel like Leia is the only woman in the Galaxy at times.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Hmmm...it's always hard to think of these.

I think I would do go for using Wookiees instead of Ewoks. And rewrite Han in ROTJ as well, to make him tougher and less goofy.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

I never said Ewoks were there just to sell toys so thanks for misinterpreting me :p ; Ewoks were very cutsie little bears perfect for little ones. And I do not I have any issues with folks of various statures. I do not care why Ewoks were used, I simply feel that Wookies would have been far more interesting and fun.

5. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Was not saying you but the general belief among people like red letter media that the ewoks are lucas selling out to sell toys. I agree with you wookies would have been cooler but it was not possible at the time. Also I would not call the ewoks extremely cutsie as they were gonna eat luke, tam and chewie and probably eat the imps.

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh yes, one more thing, I would like there to be a loss on the heroes side. There was Anakin/Vader, but he spent most of the OT as a villain.

That's another thing I'm not liking about TFA. Everybody is still alive and kicking. It's been 30 years and no one died?! Hello, it's war!

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I detest the Invincibility Factor just as much as the Forced View Factor. I'd ax both.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Then fans would have to read material other than the movies! We can't have that! :rolleyes:
    It wouldn't bother me if there were deaths but if people went nuts after Vector Prime, they would be inconsolable if the OT characters died in between movies unless the ST was 100 years later. Heck, there is going to be a lot of hate regardless of what happens in the ST to the OT characters.
    Deaths are a part of life. I welcome them. Though they have to be well done and meaningful. Nothing like Mara's death in LOTF.
    I love the OT characters but they shouldn't live forever.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I would love to have seen the story that most people thought they were being told in the original film played out over three films.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    As they weren't able to get back Denis Lawson, it's possible they could offhandedly mention Wedge's death. Granted, he wasn't an enormous character, but he was a major face in the Rebellion.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Return of the Jedi could've easily been rewritten to replace the Death Star with another weapon or ship. In this case I will use the Emperor's personal Star Destroyer for this purpose.

Luke still rescues Han Solo from the palace of Jabba the Hutt. The Rebel Alliance masses to launch a raid on the Emperor's personal Star Destroyer orbiting Had Abbadon/Coruscant of which he is personally visiting and inspecting. This ship is vastly larger and more deadly than Darth Vader's Executor. It is being protected and kept in orbit by a shield generator from the nearby sanctuary moon. A Rebel taskforce lands there, destroys the shield generator, etc. They may even free a slave labor camp as well and gain allies in their battle against the Empire in this manner. Luke is captured by the Empire and eventually brought aboard by Darth Vader to by turned to the Dark Side by the Emperor. He still duels Vader as before. The The Rebel fleet attacks and destroys the ship, causing it to crash onto the forest moon below after the shield generator is disabled. Palpatine is still killed as before and there is celebration at his demise.

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    RoTJ.
    "Sister. Help!". Leia on Endor feels his brothers pain.
    " Han, I love you. I know yeah yeah time for that later. But I have to save my brother"

And she flies up to the Death Star storms in, kicking ass with her tastefully Cream Off White Lightsabre, defeats the Emperor, turns on the Autodestruct, and flies off with her dad and brother and watching the Death Star explode behind her.

Paparazzo likes this.
  13. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Or better yet, replace the Death Star in ANH with Tarkin's personal Star Destroyer. I think it can cause quite a bit of destruction to a planetary surface and would have easily destroyed the Rebel base on Yavin IV with plenty of destruction to spare. Have the Death Star in ROTJ with ANH and TESB building up to that threat.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ If there's no Death Star in ANH, what happens to Alderaan? If you don't blow up a planet, the stakes are lowered too much.

Tosche_Station and solo77 like this.
  16. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't like sticking to one "canon" for a story. I like to have multiple. Can you imagine if they had AU movie spinoff of the OT? Different ideas could be played around with.

There could be a version where Padme lived.

17. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    As opposed to the Death Star, Tarkin's ship probably destroys the palace or capital of Alderaan instead.

bluecadet3 likes this.
  18. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

That could work. A Star Destroyer could have powerful enough weapons to raze the planetary surface. The planet might still be intact, but also uninhabitable.

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    They used a star destroyer-like ship in the EU to raze a planet (Dantooine) and in less than 5 years it was already re-inhabited with an effort to rebuild society

20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

On the other hand, you have Caamas in the EU. We don't know what ships were used, but they had to be more powerful than Daala's ship to permanently do that to Caamas.

We've never see on film what Star Destroyers can do to a planet, only when attacking other ships.

21. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    I would make the stories more epic and interesting. The conflict between the Empire and Rebels would be more defined. There would only be a single Death Star. Leia wouldn't knowingly lead the Empire to the secret Rebel base after protecting it for the entire film, even at the expense of her own world. Empire wouldn't drag in the middle. I'd probably remove the space worm sequence. I'd show Luke being taught by Yoda how to use his lightsaber, though I guess the force partially controlling one's actions somewhat explains that. Han and Leia would be less annoying. Some people find it charming, I just want to hit fast-forward. Coruscant would be the setting for the final battle. Wookies would not exist, I find them grating, nor would the Ewoks. The environments would be more exotic. There would be more trench warfare in the battle of Hoth, which I always felt was a very overrated battle. Empire would have a more interesting opening than simply seeing probe droids released into space. The "other" would certainly not be Leia, and nor would she be Luke's sister.

There's so many problems I could go on and on. I will say that the music and art design, especially when it comes to Cloud City, is spectacular.

Paparazzo likes this.
  22. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    One thing I'd agree with you on there is that I also would've changed the tracking device bit. They should've just had Leia not bring that up or realize it at all.

23. Iix_Hunter

Iix_Hunter Jedi Padawan

Jul 28, 2015
    My idea extends to all of the films, if I had the money power etc i would redo all of them as a series devoting one season (minimum) to the events of each film. That way each battle/event could be expanded on and other things could be clarified since a lot of things from the original films are viewed through rose coloured glasses and have never been defined properly, for example Leia calls Obi Wan general therefore all Jedi are now generals regardless of their status even if they are only a 13 yr old padawan which is just dumb. The Jedi order are guardians of peace and justice but are they just self appointed and the senate lets them get on with it? (which isn't really the behaviour of a government) so their legal powers should really be defined. Another thing that gets me the same way (i know its from the prequels but i must vent!) at the end of phantom menace Yoda says "always two there are..." and i figured he meant they travelled like Jedi a master and an apprentice but my mate said no there are only ever two sith in existence and i laughed thinking that was the dumbest idea ever since they would spend their lives travelling around beating down every dark Jedi in the galaxy and wouldn't have time for plotting, it strikes me that it's an idea to make scriptwriting easier. OK i think i've vented enough for a bit, if anyone disagrees or wants to chat about the idea feel free to reply, i'd rather have critical replies than no replies.

24. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    If I was writing the script, I would make sure to write down the correct pronunciation of Han.

darskpine10 likes this.
  25. SparklingRoyalty

SparklingRoyalty Jedi Padawan star 1

May 1, 2015
    There's really only one piece of dialogue that I can think of right now that I would change and that's having only Leia remembering her and Luke's birth mother. It just seems weird to me that Lucas would have just one twin remember "images & feelings" of the bio mother yet the other twin has no memory of her in any way. Both should have had these "images and feelings" regarding their mother. That or both should have had no memory of her in any way. It just would have made more sense, especially the latter after how RotS unfortunately went.