main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mad Max Franchise (Now: Furiosa)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    What happens, just out of curiosity?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    How so?

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't remember right now, maybe it was that you used the plural form of sale that made me think it was more then one game but it could be something else [face_dunno]

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Nah. Jp30 was very clear.

6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't get the "uproar" over the prequel comic. None of that behavior by Furiosa should surprise anyone; she was a valued member of Immortan Joe's legions, was tough, and lived that lifestyle. She just reached a point of thinking getting them out would be the right thing to do. Everyone else is depicted as the feral brutes they were.

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    What happens in the comic? It was pretty clear in the movie she was biding her time, gaining trust, and waiting for the chance to make her move. It was always a long game.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yea, I don't have any better explanation, so it is not a good defence. [face_blush]

That's why I wrote "to me at least".

You could blame that English is my second languages, or maybe I am just a sloppy reader. [face_dunno]

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Re: the Furiosa comic

It was the subject of much debate on the comic news sites for a while. The main problems were 1) it was mainly about depicting the rape of the gals, without much of a plot to support it (besides to lead up to why they wanted to escape), and 2) Furiosa's character was written sort of haphazardly, as if the writers didn't know what to do with her and she was just going through the motions to lead into the character we see in the film, without adding anything extra to develop her character. In sum a lot of reviewers said it was just a comic about a lot of women getting abused in really awful ways.

I'll admit I didn't read it myself, but I don't really care to investigate now based on the interviews they had with the creators. Mark Sexton, the head writer, said this famous quote that made the internet rounds when questioned about rape:

If you want serious spoilers on the comic and aren't put off by The Mary Sue, there's an in-depth and sadly hilarious review of the comic there: http://www.themarysue.com/furiosa-comic-review/

It's sort of... disturbing. I don't want to see monsters giving women vaginal exams and raping gals for kicks and whole panels where women are giving themselves abortions with broken coat hangers in my comics, thank you. And the girls don't get their act together until Furiosa shows up and literally beats some sense into them. WTF. She basically has to heard them like cats.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Is this out on DVD yet? I cannot wait! :)

11. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    It will be out Tuesday September 1. I have been anticipating it and intend to buy it too. I haven't bought a newly released disc of a new movie since Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I kind of reluctantly bought.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Has there been any Oscar buzz as of late? I've looked but found nothing. :(

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Basically the prequel comic takes everything that people liked about the film, especially in how it handled Furiosa, The Wives, and the subject of rape/sexual assault in general, and then did the exact OPPOSITE!! And in the process, made it FAR more cliché/typical/problematic. And, as we see with the writer's quote above, the reasoning beyond those changes is just dumb.

Oh and they flat-out contradict stuff that's shown/stated in the film at times as well.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  15. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Regarding the disc release, I saw an article where people claim another edition with more extra features is expected to come out about six months from now. It's the old double dip strategy.

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

I'd bet on some Golden Globe nods, more than I would Oscar.

17. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    but then again, the movie just has to be up for some oscars. Best picture is definitely a stretch, and I don't see Miller getting more than an GG nod for director. That is unless the oscar season ends up being weak. By all rights he deserves a Oscar nod given that the film is certainly an achievement in film directing.

However I really can't see how the film won't get recognized for production design, costumes, editing, sound mixing, or cinematography

Pissed that the Black and White version won't be on the Sept 1 release. Won't buy it till it is.

18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, and Saturn Awards more likely still :p. But I do think it could get Oscar noms in some technical categories.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    what's the black and white version ?

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Miller originally shot the film in black and white, and it's his preferred version. He demanded a BR version with the b and w, but apparently it will be on another edition down the road.

Black and white version will also have an isolated score.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so the entire film is colorized ?

22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Millers Black and White version(which I'm sure will be optional on the release it's on) will be entirely in black and white, yes. If that's what you mean.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  25. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Whilst I liked the Furiosa character I'm not too bothered considering the film is actually about an angry bloke named max.

It's a good chance to bring in another strong female character to take the narrative on.