main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The rating? - Updated: PG-13

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Seagoat, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Let's discuss. Shall this be like all but one episode so far and be rated PG?
    Or might Abrams choose to go in a rather edgy direction and get the second PG-13 installment in the saga?

Personally, I'm hoping for PG

2. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I don't have any personal hopes, but if I'd have to guess, I'm thinking PG. I don't think TFA will be as dark as RotS. Episode 8 might be the darkest of the ST, kinda like TESB in the OT, and receive a PG-13. But let's wait and see. When do these ratings usually come out though?

3. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I guess the rating varies depending on when they show the film cut to the ratings boards (many countries have their own ratings boards).

As far as US ratings go, I would wager they will aim to make it a PG rated film. This is now a Disney franchise after all and they do want kids to enjoy them and the theme parks. That being said Temple of Doom (Indiana Jones) is rated PG but was one of the reasons the PG-13 rating came about, as the film is rather dark for a PG rating but not so much that it will require an R rating.

I think the story and visuals will be kept PG. With notes about violence, language and adult situations...

4. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Probably PG-13. It seems like studios always shoot for that rating.Nearly no PG movies come out anymore. I don't mind if the story warrants a PG-13 like ROTS, but I don't want them putting scenes in just for the sake of getting a PG-13.

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I personally wouldn't mind PG-13. It allows for more mature story telling and even some more realistic effects (I doubt Anakin's charred body could have had the same level of effects in a PG movie). Frankly, the days of mature PG films like Jaws, Indiana Jones, and Poltergeist are long gone. If those were released today, they'd be guaranteed PG-13 just based on the gooeyness of the special effects alone.

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    NC-17 or bust

Only joking of course :D

7. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I think they will "try" to keep it PG to have the largest possible audience, but I would prefer that they keep it more "war-like" and with more mature humor even if it drifts to PG-13 (or 14A in Canada)

KyloSolo and Chris_Fives like this.
  8. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    same here!

KyloSolo likes this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    X.

It will be a... different Star Wars movie.

KyloSolo, BigAl6ft6 and Darkslayer like this.
  10. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I don't care about the rating as long as I don't feel like they tried to make it PG13 (or PG for that matter) just cuz that's what the execs wanted.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  11. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    I think they will most likely try for more "mature" films with things like Rogue One. It's probably a given that will be PG-13. The Episode films, they might try and hang on to a PG to keep them somewhat consistent in tone.

KyloSolo and Forbidden Island like this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I hope they just make a good movie, and don't aim for a specific rating.
    American movies seem to care a little too much about the rating, honestly.

13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I don't really care to much either way. But I have a feeling its PG-13.
    As long as its not G!:c3po:

KyloSolo likes this.
  14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I still can't believe Attack of the Clones got away with a PG [face_laugh]

15. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    You and me both. I think Shmi's death/ Discussion of the Tuskin Slaughter was a prime candidate for a PG-13 film.

KyloSolo, Darkslayer and Seagoat like this.
  16. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's hard to have a PG rating now and it obviously does not contribute to more of an audience like maybe twenty-five years ago. It's not that something "edgy or dark" was put in to make Revenge of the Sith PG-13, but more like a lot was kept out of The Phantom Menace to keep a PG (not showing fighting and suffering on Naboo and having more soldiers shot off camera, etc). It was easier for a ratings board member to be detached from the drama of the Prequels and to see its violence as just cartoony sci-fi stuff. Revenge of the Sith had more emotional themes.

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    All new Star Wars "live action" films should be PG13 from now on...at least the movies that'll be released in the theaters, that is.

In fact, when I think of PG movies, I think of Disney and Pixar cartoons now.

B99 likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's true that films are rated more strictly now than they used to be. They created the PG-13 rating to have some middle ground rating between PG and R, but things that used to be OK in PG films would definitely cause a film to be rated PG-13 now. PG-13 has almost become the norm for any kind of big action adventure film these days.

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I was thinking more along the lines of Mace's "fight" with Jango, but yours is good too lol

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  20. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    That's true. Beheading a man in front of his 12 y/o son is also cause for a PG-13 in my book.

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012

I'm thinking PG-13 has become what PG originally was. And PG is now what G was.

I guess all G is good for now is something like the Care Bears movie.[face_dunno]

22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Batman V Superman just got a rating. 6 Months away..
    Where's my TFA rating?[face_waiting]

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh, agreed. I think the people rating films are far too lenient nowadays

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hmm, I think we were actually saying the opposite... that they are less lenient now.

25. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    Well, PG-13 is pretty much a half step back from R these days. You can use the F bomb at least once, show brief nudity, people getting head shot, etc. I thought PG-13 was originally conceived as just having more mature/darker themes and maybe a bit more violence,(I.E. ROTS,TOD,etc) but it seems to be more like an "R-lite".

Forbidden Island likes this.