main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maul's return kind of contradicted non-CW material though - like the TPM junior novelization in which Obi-Wan senses his death after his fall.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Characters have a thing called fallibility

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Maybe he sensed Plagueis' death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The narration was 3rd person and included the words "as he died".

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    But mostly just in ways that made them suitable for a kids show - I didn't have a problem with TCW Quin, for example, because I knew his backstory was intact. Unfortunately, they've now removed most of his backstory, so his characterization in Dark Disciple makes me squirm.
    This is all well and good, but as stated earlier, this is the sort of thing the EU was already doing to itself again and again outside of Filoni's influence. No one was ever beholden to anything that could be retconned if it made a good story.

The reason I'd begin with Filoni is because it's all still canon, but was being made within the framework of Legends.

6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Shouldn't be called canon, if the show is for little kids and gonna disregard someone's backstory.

But it doesn't matter, as long as Lucas got his money and Filoni got his Ahsoka, it didn't matter who had to suffer.

7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    So.

Point the First: LFL has always made material aimed at children canon, probably because the movies themselves were aimed at children. There are entire book series aimed at young readers, from Jedi Apprentice to Galaxy of Fear to The Glove of Darth Vader. If I can accept Triclops, I can accept that Quin's drug addiction and insomnia weren't touched on in an episode of a cartoon that otherwise did an okay job with him.

Point the Second: it didn't disregard the character's backstory, initially.

Point the Third: since the EU has been wiped, the character's backstory is no longer the character's backstory. Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress and Aayla Secura and Coruscant are all different than what we knew. For all we know, Boba Fett died in the sarlaac pit.

8. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Yeah, and I want nothing to do with Dave Filoni's versions.

It's always gonna be his way or the highway.

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I almost wonder if the loudest complainers about TCW are the people that weren't around in the nineties and saw how massive the changes were not only in that decade but in transitioning to the prequels. I mean, Jesus.

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    But seeing as how this has always been the case with EU material, and that LFL's policy of making all published material work somehow is the premise of this thought experiment, I don't see why disregarding Filoni's work is helpful to the discussion at hand.

11. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Make no mistake, Lucas and the rest our guilty as well. But Lucas is gone, and unfortunately, Dave is still there.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Thanks Filoni

13. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I like TCW. I think that would be a good place to start.

DarthJaceus, Darkslayer and BobaMatt like this.
  14. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    agreed in the 90s the clone wars were implayed that involved crazy dark jedi clones that was sure retcon with the movies but now and days people don't remmber it that well

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And nobody remembers when Lumiya was made non-canon. Shrug.

The experiment is inclusive - your own Canon is your own.

Fundamentally we have not shifted terribly from making it so that Krytos Trap and Jakku coincide and then 5 months pass to CoPL with the publicised wedding, then 9 months by the end of the Thrawn Trilogy, with the Empire largely abiding by the treaty until Thrawn gets the Katana, at which point the war restarts until shortly after Anakin Solo’s birth, ended by Last Shot, with a Cold War with the Remnant and Second Imperium until the Vong arrive, punctuated with a few months of conflict across the next decade.

The Vong War lasts four years, and then in the aftermath the Senate falls foul to the First Order via the empowered Centrists. Jacen spins time a different direction but the main thrust timeline of the timeline goes forward, with the next Jedi class killed by Ben.

I’m about *this* close to suggesting that Solo takes place during the Solo Trilogy, with the third book and Corporate Sector Trilogy post-dating Solo. The Ylesia book seems to pre-date his escape from Corellia, with the second dovetailing, and Lando’s adventures in the Centrality pre-dating his appearance in the film, with the Solo Kessel Run being the one mentioned on DFR.

BigAl6ft6 and DarthJaceus like this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...I was extremely confused when this thread showed up recently.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I think it was the thread before The Thread.

*chuckles*

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    So, if the newer threads are clones of this one, should they be spelled: Oone Canon or One Caanon? :p

Psychenous, Vthuil and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Oone Canon

PCCViking likes this.
  20. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    How are things going @Sinrebirth ? Any new updates for us, or conundrums to solve?

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m generally waiting for Thrawn II.

Otherwise, it’s very generally going as ever. Jakku causes the timeline between 4 ABY and X-wing 3 to be shuffled as the old Clone Wars saw all Padawan references for Anakin shuffled forward. The NJO ends in 25 ABY with the time gained from the shuffle. Jacen splits the timelines. R1 runs parallel to all the other Death Star attempts.

Solo will likely end up being a con by Lando and Han against Crimson Dawn in my eyes, maybe, but we’ll see, because of the Lando trilogy references alone.

DarthJaceus and PCCViking like this.
  22. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    The Lando References were gold. I like your idea of the Solo movie interspersing with the novels, and that seems to be the best way to mesh it together. When is Thrawn: Alliances due again?

Edit: Summer of this year I see. I also look forward to it, and I need to pick up the comic adaptation of the first one

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  23. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    i been trying to see how i can put the thwan throligy and the dark empire into my personal canon but i wanted to asked how did fit in your one canon as i been trying to figure will to put. Them

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    My timeline is as is...

Battle of Jakku - 5 ABY

Courtship of Princess Leia - 5 ABY, 5 months

Last Command ends - 6 ABY, 2 months

Dark Empire ends - by end of 6 ABY

Last Shot - 7 ABY

In short, the remaining thrusts of the war are done. In Legends, most of the war after Dark Empire is over - it’s a Cold War with the Remnant spending another two months at war in the next 7/8 years.

25. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    perfect then it explans way the new republic did not take the First Order a serious threat and also when were the solo kids borning then