main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What If An OT Character Bites It?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by ChewieWe'reHome, Aug 30, 2015.

1. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    Will the movie be (in any sort of sense) ruined for you? I know it's easy to say "not if it helps the story", but... This is Luke we're talking about. And Leia. Han and Chewie. Even the droids. For a long time now, we've all kind of thought they lived happily ever after in Ewokland. There's EU that's killed them off, I know.... I don't know if I could handle it on the screen.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm pretty sure at least on of them will bite it in this one. Wouldn't surprise me if all the Big Three characters have died before the end of EpIX.
    Not looking forward to the scenes where that happens though. The worst one (for me) will be Luke! He's my favorite character in Star Wars, so that's gonna be a tough one.

However, unless it's extremely unnecessary, it won't ruin the movies for me.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm ready. Going to be hell, but I'm ready for whatever they throw at us.
    Won't complain that it happened but if the execution of it is bad, then yeah, we have a problem.

4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I'm almost positive one of them will bite it. My money's actually on Luke, no matter how much I don't want to see that happen.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  5. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    On a similar note, I will be extreeeemely upset if the Falcon is destroyed. I don't know if it needs to be in the whole ST, but at least have Han and Chewie fly away in it at the end of TFA or something.

Sarge, lbr789 and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I won't lie, part of me wants a major OT character to die. I highly doubt R2 and 3PO will die. I suspect Han and/or Chewie might die, possibly even in TFA. Leia seems the least likely of the "big 3"

I would indeed be sad - for the right reason. Of course I'd cry because theatrical drama. IF the death is done tastefully. If it's just one of those shock deaths that shows they're trying to say "ooh look we're EDGY" and it comes across as contrived more than anything, I'd be a tad disappointed

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Does anyone seriously expect them all to survive? That's extremely unlikely. Not to mention boring and unrealistic.

Every major death will greatly affect the plot, though, of that I am sure.

I would like to see the Falcon destroyed in TFA, BTW - preferably with Han and Chewie in it (sacrificing their lives to save the day and laying the groundwork for some serious drama). What an effective way of ending the last trilogy once and for all!

Revyl Ren likes this.
  8. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I honestly dread seeing any of them die. I get that Ford has been pushing for Han's death since '82, so I'm pretty sure he's the most likely "not to make it out of the ST alive".

Then you have Luke, which I'm sure they'd love to end his story with him as a Force Ghost bringing everything full circle.

Not sure how they would kill Leia off. But it would seem odd if they left her alive and killed everyone else. Maybe they flash forward at the end and show her slumped over in her chair at 86 y/o eating an orange like Michael Corleone?

3PO & R2 make it out alive, C'mon, you know it to be true.

I'm guessing Chewie survives. He'll probably get some sweet payback on whoever kills Han.

What about Lando? We don't even know that he's in this one to begin with!

I really hope they don't kill anyone. You don't need a ton of deaths for good drama. And Uncle George probably would want all his characters to have a happy ending, so I say leave them alone. Kill them off in EU books I'll never read (again) if needs be, but not in the movies. For Pete sake, not in the movies! [face_shame_on_you]

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    As long as any death scene is better than a certain death in Star Trek: Generations :p

Sarge, True Sith and lbr789 like this.
  10. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    Yeah, that's another thing I have against having these Iconic type characters having onscreen deaths, is that it's always a let down. These characters are larger than life. If you're gonna make them die, you better do a darn compelling job of selling it.

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I would be if they're all still around when the trilogy ends.
    But then, I agree with Yoda; Death is a natural part of life and I rejoice for those around us who transform into the Force.
    Attachment leads to jealousy. That's the shadow of greed. Don't go Vader on these movies!

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  12. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    As long as it's better than Chewie choking on a furball or something.

13. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    To me, Han's (& maybe Chewie's) sacrifice would only make sense if his ANH arc was repeated. Which would be stale. Like all of a sudden, Han doesn't care about anyone again and therefore "redeems" himself at the end. Again. And even worse would be killing him off just 'cause.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Would be a nice inverse of the PT generation. All of the PT characters died at the end of the OT, so all of the OT characters live in the ST.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Just a reminder for all in this thread... please do not forget that this is the No Spoilers forum.

16. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    As long as it doesn't happen right in the beginning in the movie, as if to say "well now that that's over with..."

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I am also quite confident this will happen, but I'm not thinking Luke. I don't think there'd be all this big deal about Luke and his lightsaber (as shown officially) and whatnot, just for him to die.

If I had to guess, I'd say Han - or Chewie. Or both, cos - could you imagine one going on without the other???

Saga Explorer, Sarge and Rellum Kire like this.
  18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Could you imagine the sad puppy dog look and noises Chewie would make if he were to come upon Han's dead body? It makes me sad just thinking about it. But then only for Chewie to fly into this Wookie rage and go on a killing spree.

Or maybe Chewie becomes seduced by the dark side on an empty promise by some Sith Lord that he will bring Han back to life?

19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    If any OT character gets offed, I'm betting it will be Han. Ford has been wanting to off the character for years.

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If that happens, I'm wondering how I'll react. Like, will I be emotional and all? Or would I be just like "...yeah, I figured...."

Aaaarrrggghhh!!!! HOW many months now!?[face_hypnotized]:p

21. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    Lol, "Rated PG-13 for sci-fi violence/action and this one graphic dismembering that really just comes out of nowhere, I mean GEEZ"

DBPirate and Rellum Kire like this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There is of course potential for a SW version of Wrath of Kahn.

23. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015

I don't know. Shouting "KYLOOOOOOOOO" doesn't have the same ring to it.

24. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    Yeah, and if this really is the end of the Saga, it would be nice to end it on an upbeat note. ROTJ had that covered. All the good guys survived and you got to see the main 3 from the PT as Force Ghosts. I don't see how you recreate that with the OT cast. Just Luke & Leia show up as Force Ghosts at the end?
    Unless the main OT cast survive (mostly) intact, I can't see the end of the Saga being anything but somber this time.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just as long as we don't get a repeat of the aftermath of Vector Prime.
    We could get something similar to the end of The Unifying Force. Everyone is alive and well except for Chewie and Anakin Solo. Everyone was just so relieved for the crisis to be over.