main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What If An OT Character Bites It?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by ChewieWe'reHome, Aug 30, 2015.

1. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The only ones that are completely off-limits are the droids. I don't think anyone wants to see 3PO or R2 getting "killed." Besides, for the characters that have appeared in all the films so far, I'm hoping they can help bind the new trilogy together in a similar fashion.

DBPirate and Saga Explorer like this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think it was during one of GL's interviews around 1980 that he said the droids would be the only 2 characters in all 9 films, serving as point of view or recording characters.

SlashMan likes this.
  3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Just pulling people's arms out of their sockets, since Wookies are known to do that. :_|

4. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Good guys and bad guys death important to the plot
    TPM
    Qui-Gon Jinn
    Darth Maul

AOTC
    Schmi Skywalker
    Jango Fett (not so important but....)

ROTS
    Amidala Skywalker
    Mace Windu (and most of the Jedi)
    Anakin... the good guy who was Luke's father was destroyed (so said OB1)
    Dooku
    Grievous

ANH
    Obi-wan
    Alderaan (all the peeps there)
    Beru and Owen
    Biggs (haha)
    Porkins, etc.
    Moff Tarkin
    All the peeps in the DS (an eye for an eye...)

ESB
    Dak??
    Hoth rebels?
    Admiral Ozzel?
    No one important died in the so called darkest of the Saga?

ROTJ
    Dart Vader - Anakin
    Yoda
    Bobba Fett?
    Jabba
    Palpatine - Sidious

TFA
    ??

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    In the scheme of Star Wars as a coming of age story, it was our innocence that died with this movie.

Lando Swarm, DARTH_BELO and Lulu_Mars like this.
  6. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I would imagine there is a very good chance one of them will bite it in the new series. If this film continues with the same rhythmic themes as previous first films of each trilogy someone major will die. Luke saw Obi die and it sparked him to action as Obi seeing Qui Gon bite it sparked him to action as well....

DBPirate likes this.
  7. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    If we're expecting this rhythm, will it be effective? It'd potentially be a good sike-out if everyone makes it through the first movie but then, say, Luke bites it in VIII.

natureboy76 likes this.
  8. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Not that I have anything against Mr. Daniels himself, but after the travesty of Threepio in AotC, I'd gladly pull the trigger myself in the first second of the movie. If I was stuck in a room with Jar Jar, Threepio, and a blaster with two shots, I'd shoot Threepio twice.

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Abrams and Kasdan has taken the old mentor-dies-and-sparks-hero-to-action trope and put a new spin on it. Instead of it being a mentor of magic (Luke) leaving the next new hope to her/his own devices, it's a mentor of the more practical, down-to-earth kind of stuff (Han) leaving his kid (assuming he has one) to carry on his legacy to the best of her/his ability.
    If that's the case, then Luke's part in the story might be taking a bit of a back seat in this episode and become more prominent in the next.

It might be refreshing to have a bit more focus on the non-Jedi side of the Star Wars Saga.

natureboy76, SlashMan, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I hope this is how it goes!

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi are important in the scheme of things in the SW universe but it is nice to see something different.
    Relations between Jedi and non force-users are one of my favorite part of the SW universe.
    Anakin Skywalker/Obi-Wan and Hondo.
    Anakin Solo and Vua Rapuung.
    Quinlan Vos and Villie Gilmark (or whatever his name was).
    Han Solo and Luke.
    Jaina Solo and Jag Fel.
    Zayne Carrick and Gryph.
    And so on and so forth.
    It humanizes both sides to see them working together.
    Something is lost if we only see one side.
    Makes the galaxy and Saga feel bigger seeing more than one group.

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  12. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

Ermmmm, droids have a tendency of being "die hard" or hard to kill.

R2 was blasted in many movies. Including being almost completely destroyed in ANH. (ESB he get zapped, etc.)

3PO gets dismembered quite a few times. In AOTC. He gets shot in ESB and dismembered, He gets his memory wiped. Almost melted, etc.

So even if they get shot, dismembered, or destroyed, they are more resilient than your average Terminator.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

That is deep.....

The other thing is, even though main characters didn't die, our heroes of the story were ALL suffering throughout the entire film in one way or another-with no end in sight. IMO that lends to the sense of "darkness."

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  14. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Yeah, I'll admit Attack of the Clones wasn't 3PO's best showing. Ironically, that was because of Anthony Daniels; he fought for adding 3PO into scenes he wasn't scripted in, which made them reshoot many scenes. While George is open to a lot of ideas to move along the creative process, this was one idea where I think George had it right all along. I just hope the same doesn't happen with J.J.

15. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015

Hahah, a little harsh there I'd say. Threepio has been a family friend for decades now, loyal and there till the end. Occasionally he'll act like a nuisance, but in the end you gotta love the guy.

Jar Jar on the other hand, from day one, has done nothing to earn our respect. I mean how can I respect someone who booms da gasser den crashes da Boss's heyblibber?

DBPirate and Lando Swarm like this.
  16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'd sooner none of the OT Big 3 die, to be perfectly honest. But I think that may not be realistic.

- After learning of Harrison Fords feelings on the matter, I kind of came away feeling like we were fortunate to even have Han in ROTJ. So I think I'm more prepared to see Solo die than any other character. Not that I want it to happen, mind; just that I feel I'm as ready as I ever going to be to see Han Solo pass on.

- Leia might be tough to see, but much like Chewy, a big part of Leia's destiny feels like it's tied with that of Han. I guess I could maybe see Leia and Han going out together.

- But the one character I never want to see die is Luke. Even with the potential for 'Force ghosting' in his future, when the powers-that-be feel they've brought Luke's story to its conclusion, I very much would like to see Luke simply wander off on his own to an unwritten future. This way, the audience can decide for themselves whatever happened to "the Skywalker." :)

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm no Jar Jar hater, but I must admit that this sentence made me laugh!

DBPirate and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  18. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    What if Lando makes a surprise appearance, and he's not listed on the cast because he only has like seven seconds of screen time before dying?

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I hope Lando makes a surprise appearance, but I would be very upset if your scenario turned out to be true!

DBPirate and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  20. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015

*enter Rebel Base*

Lando: Hello, what have we here?... It's the last piece of lemon meringue pie. Come to papa!

*end of cameo*

21. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lots of OT characters died in the OT, it didn't ruin them for me. :p

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    What I like is that there will a bit of suspense over this, fueled by the fact that the actors are older and cannot keep playing these characters anyway. They may die, they may not.

23. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005

C3PO was technically "killed" in ESB.

24. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    By that same token, so was R2 in ANH.

That's not really getting "killed" though. There was enough left of them to reassemble.

25. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Wally44, true, but he did come back in the same film. Though that does make me consider that droids would be easier to kill off in a film because they could be brought back so easily.

Wally44 likes this.