main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What If An OT Character Bites It?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by ChewieWe'reHome, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005

True...just playing devil's advocate. I think it's an unwritten rule that nothing horrific can happen to the droid duo.

2. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    It wouldn't ruin the movie for me but I would cry for non stop ( especially if they kill the droids ). lol

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  3. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Luke Skywalker: It would be nice if he had a heroic death.
    Princess Leia: She is not as much off a fighter as she is a leader so no.
    Han Solo:MOST HAPPEN.
    The droids: No they are to iconic. If they had to be in TPM then they stay in the series until it ends
    Chewie: considering how old the actor is it might be time to off the character.

4. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    :rolleyes: anyone can use the Chewie costume provided they are the right height. And they could even do a CGI Chewie if it came to it.

5. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015

But SW hate CGI nowadays.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    During OT filming, they tried putting different tall people in the Chewie costume, but it didn't work. No one else was able to play Chewie the way Peter Mayhew did. Movement and body language is a huge part of his character, and I don't think most people could do the character justice. Perhaps a highly skilled mo-cap actor like what's-his-name who played Gollum could do it, but he's not tall enough to do it on set. Andy Serkis! That's his name! I knew it would come to me if I started typing. :)

7. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    During OT filming...

Filming technology and techniques have come a looooooonnnnnnggggg way since the OT was filming. In fact there's no film involved anymore :p

Computer animation and motion capture are not the same but even that could be made to work. It could also be explained away by having Chewie get injured and then he looks/walks/moves differently. They inserted the Wampa scene in ESB to explain Mark's real injuries.

Anyway. If one of the OT characters (non droid) go into the great beyond, my guess is that they will not stay completely dead...

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, TFA was shot on film (35mm and 65mm).

// that guy :p

EHT, Dinos4Ever and Lando Swarm like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    An OT character or two has to bite it at some point in the ST. Old people in Star Wars die so the younger characters can get their act together and finish the quest themselves. It's what they do. Now the survival rate for mentor characters in the opening flick of Star Wars trilogies is not good, however, I'd put more odds on the old mentor who bites it in TFA to be Han instead of Luke, mostly because Luke has to hang around for a few more movies to give the characters marching orders. He's not Obi-Wan, he's Yoda.

10. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Apologies. I just assumed that since many new movies are being shot with digital cameras that TFA was also shot with digital cameras. My mistake.

On the topic, I will go on record saying that at least 1 OT character will die in TFA but will return in some form or another (hologram, force ghost, force voice, other force power yet shown). And that by the end of trilogy more than one of them will also be dead.

If I was a betting man I would put money on Luke and/or Leia in TFA and Han in the second or third film, possibly together with Chewie.

It's almost unavoidable to keep the rhyming going on that the first movie the "old" mentor dies. So whoever is the "old mentor" either Luke, Leia or Han, to the new "hero" they will probably die to set the hero on his/her journey.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Depends on which character. After all the fuss Disney has been making about Han lately (he gets his own movie, gets on the poster, is the only of the OT 3 to be confirmed to appear in any of the trailers) it would not be the end of the world for me if he bit it.

12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I predict Han will die in the midst of an heroic act that greatly benefits his friends while seriously damaging the villains.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Although I firmly believe that one of the original characters will die in TFA – my guesses are either Chewbacca or Han Solo,for a number of obvious reasons that is been discussed here already – I just hope that it plays out as a certain and definite death, none of this whole "it's possible they might not have really died, and we won't know for sure until VIII-we'll just have to wait and see!" I hate when that happens. If a characters going to die, make it confirmed when it happens-in the same episode!

Although as I've mentioned before if it's really either Han or Chewie, I might actually prefer that they both died together. With them being such good friends it seems fitting they'd die by each others side, and I can't really imagine The remaining one ever being happy again in future episodes, with one of them dying and not the other.

14. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm worried one of them will die in TFA. But I hope they all make it to the next one at least. I'd rather not see any "force ghosts" this time in the ST.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope to god that Han doesn't come back as a Force Ghost.

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Why would that idea even occur to you?

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Luke won't bite it in this one, it's his first film back (Han was filling the mentor-who-dies-in-first-film role). I think Leia could though - although MattOrgana and I may have heart attacks if that happens. :leia:

18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I beg you, Johnson/Trevorrow, let Leia survive. There's no need to kill them all off just to make room for the new characters

19. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Oh didnt you hear? He guts a tauntaun - HE MUST BE FS! :rolleyes:

Seagoat likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Wait, Han dies in TFA?! Spoiler tags... :_| :p

Obi-Wan Catnobi, AmySolo and Seagoat like this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Han's clone dies in TFA

22. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    Killing Chewie would be like killing a dog. If Mr. Mayhew is fine with it, I would hope someone else continue to play Chewie in the event that Mr. Mayhew cannot, even if in a minimal role.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    But if it's done right, a dying dog is cinema gold. Should I post a spoiler alert for Old Yeller?

jaqen and Obi-Wan Catnobi like this.
  24. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    Um....Obi-Wan died in his first film! :(

25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Obi-Wan died in TPM? ;)