main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel Trilogy MUSIC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I did a search & there's no dedicated thread to the music. Only a few about specific musical topics.

Anyway is anyone listening to RebelForce Radio's Star Wars Oxygen podcasts? If you don't know they've been analyzing & discussing the score of each film. David Collins who used to work for LucasArts goes in-depth into the music. It's brilliant. They did the OT, then TPM & they've just finished AotC. RotS is next. Highly recommend it:

http://www.shotglassdigital.com/artist/star-wars-oxygen/
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rebelforce-radio-star-wars/id593355728?mt=2

The funniest observation from the last episode was that the theme for Game of Thrones may've been influenced by the finale of AotC. Have a listen at 2.54:

[face_laugh]

Apart from that are there any PT musical ques you'd like to see referenced in TFA?
    What's your favorite musical piece from the trilogy?

2. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015
    Those podcasts sound sick. Definitely gonna give it a listen.

I'd love to hear duel of the fates at some point. Its so iconic and to put in even a variation of it would be fantastic and really tribute the PT well. I'm a big fan of Across the Stars as well. I think if there is some kind of romance in this trilogy a variation of that piece would be great.

My favorite PT piece though would have to be "Anakin's Dark Deeds" from ROTS. Its so powerful and really showcases the granduer and tragedy of Anakin's fall. I also like how its tied into the movie cutting between Palp in the Senate establishing the Empire and Anakin on Mustafar destroying the Separatists. Good stuff.

3. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Well one thing about the ST, even if some of the creative staff aren't PT fans we have John Williams composing the score. He obviously knows the music from the whole Saga including his amazing PT score. I'm sure he'll blend in some nods to the prequels.

The best thing about those podcasts is they're over an hour long & each film gets about 4 episodes. They've just released ep 20 so you have a heap of great stuff to listen to.

Darkslayer and S2N2 like this.
  4. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015

Ya I hope he does. Maybe when we see Anakin's saber for the first time or something.

Darkslayer and Darth Downunder like this.
  5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I still think that the music at the end of The Phantom Menace... (duel of the fates?) ...is the best music in any of the films!

Jarren_Lee-Saber and CoolyFett like this.
  6. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015
    My favorite is Battle of Heroes, and Duel of the Fates is my second best. They are really close on my meter. :)

7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Both are awesome. Battle of Heroes of course uses the famous cue from ESB.
    Also really like the Trade Federation theme & the Yoda & the Younglings music.

cameron.osborn likes this.
  8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Which cue from ESB?

9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The cue beginning at 0.53 from the Vader vs Luke duel:

It's also in the RotS duel. Here at 0:59:

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Delta RC-1138

Delta RC-1138 Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2015
    So much good music to choose from, but I gotta go with the Clone March theme. Better than Imperial March imo. There something really regal, and just a tad sinister about it. I thought it fit the Clones perfectly.

11. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015
    Oh and yes Across the Stars is also really great, relaxes me always. :)

12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    You mean the music from about 2.40? Yeah I love that. That's usually known as the Trade Federation theme from TPM. Was reused for the Clones in Ep II.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013

To me it's more about Star Wars music cues being used in the ST and not simply just very specific ones but the style and overall textures as well.

If they decide to use choral then obviously they harkens back to more to what JW did with I-III than IV-VI.

cameron.osborn and Andy Wylde like this.
  14. DeanVantis

DeanVantis Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 30, 2015
    From a personal perspective, Duel Of The Fates was the track that shined throughout the prequels and was used in all three installments. I wouldn't mind and actually would enjoy it if they plan to repurpose the music in the sequels. They are using many elements from the previous six films, are they? :)

15. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    It's a great song.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Andy Wylde like this.
  16. Delta RC-1138

Delta RC-1138 Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2015
    Ah yea, now I remember it in TPM now that you mention it. For some reason I always associate it with Clones though, I think it might be because of the March on the Jedi Temple Scene in Sith.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I love a lot of the music from the PT movies.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That's "Clash Of The Lightsabers". As to what I'd like to have replayed from the PT, it'd all depends on the director and the context. If there's something about Anakin, then I reprise of "Anakin's Theme" would fit. Something about the romance, then "Across The Stars". In terms of something like "Duel Of The Fates", it would be nice if it were to happen with a big Lightsaber duel akin to those in TPM and ROTS.

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Thing is that JW can take his themes and rework them so much that we are likely to get all kinds of things that we won't hear.

I felt that there was various connections between many cues but couldn't spell them out musically but as Oxygen has shown there is far more than just a feel but that the main theme is connected to Across the Star and the Imperial March on a few notes and so on.

So he can work it all kinds of way beside straight noticeable quotations.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
  21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    "Across the Stars" might be the most underrated theme in any of the Star Wars films. It does such a brilliant job of aurally conveying the doomed romance that Lucas conceived.

22. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

I love "Across the Stars". Your spot on in your observation!

As far as Prequel music in TFA. I don't need to hear any, I wouldn't be upset if there wasn't any tbh. The music for the PT has some pretty specific meanings for those stories, so I can't really see repeating them in the ST without changing those meanings...

23. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    At the moment, I can't think of any pieces introduced in the PT that I particularly want to hear in TFA. I wouldn't mind if some did show up, but many of the pieces I'd like to hear were introduced in the OT.

My favorite song from the PT is Across the Stars and any variation of it. Two of my favorite songs with variations of Across the Stars are Anakin's Dream and Padme's Ruminations.

Darth Downunder and mikeximus like this.
  24. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I highly doubt any musical cues from the PT will be heard in the ST, but you never know. So many amazing themes from the PT though....Anakin's Betrayal (Order 66 theme) is another one that always gives me the chills.

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If there's any reference to Luke and Leia's parents, I'd love to hear a cue of Across the Stars...