main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Dark Empire Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthDeviousTX, Jun 3, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This. DE2 is almost as good as the first- its only major problems are the undo-DE1-ending with more Palpaclones, another insta-Eclipse, etc and the open-ending. They were probably trying to echo ESB's ending partially, but the problem is their ROTJ ended up being condensed to 30 minutes long.

Dawud786 likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Luke: How did you survive falling into a reactor?

Palpatine: I don't always fall into a reactor, but when I do, I transfer my spirit into a clone body.

I absolutely despise Empire's End. The epilogue is the beginning of Heir to the Empire all over again (the Empire loosing territory as a result of Palpatine's death), we're denied a chance for Palpatine to become a spirit (ghost Palpatine would have been awesome), and it's hard to follow.

SateleNovelist11 and Sudooku like this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And the artwork... [face_sick]

4. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    ... in order to molest Mara Jade or to guide Darth Caedus I guess ... :cool:

5. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I share your dislike of Empire's End for exactly those reasons darklordoftech, but hey, Korriban! And simply because Palpatine was dragged into Chaos (and held there by the Jedi) doesn't mean his spirit couldn't return, which is why I'm disappointed no later works explored ghost-Palpatine which would have been, as you say, awesome. Freedon Nadd was summoned from Chaos, as well; he didn't seem to chain his spirit to his tomb, as most other Sith Lords' spirits we see did.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Now I have all the three parts of it. I must admit I also don't really appreciate the Artwork of Veitch. The pictures are so monocolored and not that detailed enough I would like it. Son of Dathomir I enjoyed more.

And I still don't get it that all these super-weapons, the marvellous mysterious throne-world of Palpatine on Byss, his outstanding cloning-plan, is rushed so much. You don't see how Palpatine developed after the fall in the reactor on the Death Star until he is resurrected on Byss and gained his old strenght. Do we have to wait for a post-explaining comic like Sith-Hunters, where it is shown in pictures accompanying a talk between two no-name Jedi how Darth Maul survived at Lotho Minor and re-appeared? And then all these new super-weapons who conquered many planets - the actual Dark Empire - almost nothing to be seen of. And after just one year of such a new Empire unfolding, everything is over again because of a pretender-apprentice. So much efforts just to loose it all after such a short time? I can't believe this new Palpatine to happen. I instead would have given him, after he presented himself to the galaxy again, 10-15 standard-years to last. At least at Byss and Prakith O:)

Instead the comic is crowded with large cheesy pictures of Han, Leia, Luke (whom I sometimes confused with Palpatine, so sinister did he look[face_laugh] ) & consorts and of course - the Millenium-falcon - a thousand times.I-)

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Can you imagine Dark Empire made as an animated series in 13 episodes á la 20 minutes, showing all the world of Byss and the new Empire rising just like I stated in my previous post? Is it allowed to dream? Or could Lego perhaps sponsor it for then we can buy bright new Lego-sun-guns or the Emperor's Eclipse I and Eclipse II and as a culmination a cloned young Lego-Palpatine?

Could it also be that content of Dark Empire will show up in the Sequel Trilogy of Star Wars, when the first part will be released by the end of this year?

AusStig and Dawud786 like this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I love the dialogue in this story. I really appreciate the character development of Luke and Leia. I also like how Palpatine was portrayed in some ways, but I can accept him being the main antagonist of all of Star Wars without this story. The Dark Empire comics bother me because they are not as good as the Thrawn trilogy or what came after Dark Empire. Simply put. I like the idea of Lumiya, Jacen, etc. continuing the Sith tradition, and I even like the idea of Jerec and others attempting but failing to continue it. I don't like the idea of Palpatine coming back to life after Vader's noble sacrifice, even if Palpatine has all these terrifying powers like Force Storm. I do think it's interesting to see Luke temporarily turning to the dark side, and I also like Epatojayous Brand. But do I need this story to be in my interpretation of the post-ROTJ EU/Legends? Not really.

AusStig, Iron_lord and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

My dream is Legends explored via animated features. Give me TTT and DE!

10. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

Yessss. Ala DC universe movies!

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like that idea - if the acting is good.

Jedi Knight Fett and Gorefiend like this.
  12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Dark Empire would actually really make a pretty good surreal motion art cartoon similar in style to the Black Panther cartoon.

SensationalSean and Dawud786 like this.
  13. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

The Dark Empire (or O Império do Mal in portuguese) series its excelent, the art and the story is very beautiful and the series shows a darker Luke and a clone of Palpatine. I recommend. Brazilian version below:
    [​IMG]

P.S: I'm trying to find the thread about the novel KENOBI by John Jackson Miller. Someone here can give the link? Tks.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  15. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    Thanks man.

16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I'd say my favorite aspect of the Dark Empire trilogy is Luke's growth as a character. He tastes the dark side and he grows to become a wiser and more powerful Jedi Master. Leia's character development is also fab. I wish we could have seen this Leia in the movies.

I do admit I prefer Sidious to be dead in ROTJ and to not come back. But I have a complex view of this Dark Empire overall. I can't deny it's great writing and dialogue.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Lol. That joke is good. Not sure why I like it. Imagine if Bill Maher or Kathy Griffin wrote Sidious' lines. It would be awesome.

I can understand why you wouldn't like Empire's End. I see you.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    It's been a long time since I read these, but from what I remember I really liked the trilogy. Even for someone who may not love it I'd still recommend reading it just because it is referenced quite a few times by other works in the post-RotJ EU. So if nothing else it will just enhance your appreciation and understanding of other EU works that came after it. I have the TPBs back home. Now I want to go back and read them again.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    For the first time in many years, I re-read Dark Empire I & II, and also Empire's End. Wow. These are such great comics, and I actually appreciated them a lot more this time around.

Dark Empire I & II

Obviously, Dark Empire I is iconic & classic. The imagery of Luke taking down an Imperial Walker using the Force is amazing, as well as the return of the Emperor & Boba Fett, the dangerous streets of Nar Shaada, etc.

Dark Empire II was an excellent follow-up; I liked the idea of Luke & Kam Solusar going & finding more Jedi to recruit. Also enjoyed the Rancor-like monsters.

And, or course, the superb water-color artwork by Cam Kennedy is truly what made both of these excellent series.

Empire's End

And, I liked Empire's End a lot more than I did when I first read this! When this first came out in '95, I hated the art & didn't like the story. However, I guess I've gotten more open-minded in the last 20 years & this time around I liked this a lot more - the artist was obviously trying to "channel" Cam Kennedy & though he wasn't nearly as good as Cam, the art was still decent & distinctive. The idea of the deteriorating Emperor wanting to take over one of Han & Leia's children was quite disturbing. I liked the idea of the robotic jedi sacrificing himself so that the Empire would be caught in his body & die. Also liked the new EU ships seen in the story, i.e. the Howl-runners.

SensationalSean and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've always liked Dark Empire, but the sequels are pretty weak IMO (though not without their positive elements/additions to the universe). I kind of wish they'd just left it as a standalone.

21. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I re-read DE1 for the first time in years over the last week and remembered why I loved it. Kennedy's art just oozes atmosphere, it's incredible. 2 and EE will be happening soon, but I want to let 1 sink in for a while.

I'd forgotten how little we see of Palpatine in the cloned body, which the opening crawl says has been aged to that of a 15-year-old? That explains the vampire collar, clearly it's a goth phase. Still think that character design is great though.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The answer is: Sales.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The one thing that I liked about Empire's End was seeing Korriban and Sheev's interactions with the Dark Lords.

Jedi Ben and Gorefiend like this.
  24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I have to admit, yes that scene was pretty hilarious.

Jedi Ben and darklordoftech like this.
  25. Obi-Henn Kenobi

Obi-Henn Kenobi Jedi Knight

Jan 16, 2015
    This question wasn't answered, so I'd like to ask it again. Does anybody know the story?

The Positive Fan likes this.