main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Dark Empire Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthDeviousTX, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I believe Kennedy got fed up with Veitch's crazily ambitious scripts - see what he did for DE2 #1 for instance, all those war droid battle sequences.

Don't know why it got compressed to 2 issues though.

2. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I had no clue Empire's End went through so many changes, that sucks. I am looking forward to the re-read though, so I can see if the shift in quality is noticeable!

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I didn't ask why they didn't leave it as a standalone (though like others in this thread, I'm curious why Empire's End was so truncated). Just saying that I would have liked it better if they had.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Dark Empire is my all time favorite EU story. I love that time period. Everything seemed so dark and foreboding, but my favorite thing about the story was how epic in its scope it seemed. The EU writers in that time didn't really make their stories as crazy and large scale as the original movies had gotten. A lot of them, even Zahn didn't seem to want to expand on that sort of scale. But Dark Empire really felt like a natural continuation from Return of the Jedi. I just wish that the old EU could have the cohesiveness that the new canon writers have due to the Story Group.

One day I'm going to actually complete the fan soundtrack for this that I've been trying to write for years now.

5. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Random thought: anyone else think it would have been cool to actually get to see Luke crashland the Liberator at the beginning of issue 1? Particularly in light of ROTS.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I'll note that Luke accomplished a similar feat to Anakin not only in Dark Empire, but also in LSATSOM.

7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I've noticed that, yes. Almost wonder if there was an intentional connection, given that Stover meant LSATSOM to fill the post-Endor place Dark Empire was originally intended to have. But the DE connection tickles me more because it was both ON Coruscant and written many years before.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm sure it was intended by Stover.

I also suspect there's a possibility that Lucas was giving a subtle nod to Dark Empire. We know that he read it.

9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, Lucas did love DE, so maybe he meant it as an homage of sorts, or maybe he just liked it as a demonstration of a Skywalker's skill.

I listened to the DE audio "drama". It's... a mixed bag. The main cast is all okay, having BDW as Lando is a gigantic plus and Nick Jameson is a superb Palpatine (also, having Solidus Snake/Canderous Ordo as Luke is amusing). But all of the voices for the secondary cast feel really rushed, or really poorly directed perhaps. And the script is meh, the parts taken from the comic don't translate well and the parts they added feel stiff and awkward. But hey, it does give us Palpatine's rants on the nature of the dark side in audio form, so [face_dunno].

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    John Cygan also voiced Dash Rendar in the video game. I thought he was a pretty good Luke, though.

Wait til you hear Boba Fett's voice in Dark Empire 2.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also that they decided to not use a narrator so the characters have to describe everything that is happening, but in a way so is that kind of cheesiness kind of charming.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    TheAvengerButton_ The answer is simple, GL kept the universes separate. That is why there was no cohesion.

Dark Empire was a stunning series that I considered to be Episode 10, 11, and 12. The first two issues represents part 10, the next 2 part 11 and the last 2 the final chapter 12. Zahns books to me were Episode 7-9 back then. Yes, they were constrained, in fact, Zahn's writing style represented the OT movies budgets at the time. He had action and adventure, introduced a counter to the jedi powers and cloaking device, and created a military genius, but the action was never overboard nor super modern special effects laden like the stories of today . Dark Empire represented that explosive budget and it culminated in the end of all ends. Now, DE2 and EE were two stories that while I read them, I don't include them in the personal canon. They sucked, and I could do without them. From Sedriss to the force using stormtroopers, and yasana, yeah. The end of DE represented that finality. Luke grew, became a jedi, fought his own clone, and then defeated the emperor with his sister and the promise of a new start.

I would have been happy with just the OT movies, the three Zahn books and the first DE six issues and its a wrap. I'll even take the 107 Marvel issues runs since they were stories of adventure minus all that sith and jedi jazz.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

That's awesome. I imagine a lot of people, including yours truly, would love to hear that after you get it copyrighted. :)

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    "force using stormtroopers"? I don't remember them

15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, I've started listening to the DEII audio. DM is right, Boba's voice is... ugh. It's too bad, because most of the rest of the voice cast are actually really good this time around, especially the newcomers like Sedriss and Kam Solusar. But Boba sounds like someone took David Hayter's Old Snake voice from MGS4 and autotuned it. Just... not good.

16. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005

I'd started replying to this at work but got interrupted. The Force using stormies (if I'm not mistaken) appear on Ossus, when Sedriss and Vill Goir show up to attack Luke, Kam and tribal guys. Thought I think the stormies are just empowered by the Dark Side, not actively using it (no clue what that actually does for them). In the end Kam and Luke get in close with lightsabers and just curb stomp them. So much for that idea.

17. Obi-Henn Kenobi

Obi-Henn Kenobi Jedi Knight

Jan 16, 2015
    I'm wondering if there might be a chance that Marvel published Lightsider, the novel by Tom Veitch (which was to be illustrated by Dave Dorman) set between DE I and II about Luke and Kam Solusar that was cancelled by Dark Horse. Would be nice to finally see that...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm listening to the NPR radio dramas currently, and I thought it was interesting that in ESB, when Luke is on Dagobah and Yoda is telling him about whether the dark side is stronger or not, Luke starts to (as I take it) ask about exploring the dark side without falling to it, and Yoda immediately shoots him down.

Vthuil and darklordoftech like this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    What would Luke conceive of as "exploring the dark side" in TESB?

20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I don't remember Force using Stormtroopers either, maybe you're mistaking a few panels where the Dark Side Elite were alongside Stormtroopers.

I was a DE kick myself and making a bunch've custom figures.

[​IMG]

Dark Side Elite:

[​IMG]

21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I found this on YouTube. I can't say I like Sidious's voice, but they animated him well.

22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yea, appears the audio voice work is taken directly from the Lucasfilm's audio drama. Sidious' voice isnt easy to mimic I suppose.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love if Hamill and McDiarmid voiced an animated adaptation of Dark Empire.

24. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

That would have been fantastic. And, yes, Vorax, Sidious' voice is hard to imitate. I can sound somewhat like him when he's Chancellor Palpatine, but I can't sound like Sidious. I can actually sound a lot like Sam Witwer's Darth Maul, though.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The guy that voices Palpatine is the same actor that voiced him in the microseries.