main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone think Jake Lloyd was cast because.....

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    George didn't have time to wait 10 years for a 8 or 9 year old to grow up.

At minimum Anakin was going to be a pre-teen 12 year old.

And with MJ for Jar Jar.

Maybe he met with a then 20 year old Angelina Jolie for Padme as well.

Maybe he thought about Nick Nolte for Qui-Gon or a then mid 30's Kenneth Branagh for the original older Obi-Wan of The Beginning.

In an alternate reality we have Walken and others as the OT trio.

All I know is that JL and HC were AWESOME!! as Anakin as so that is all that matters.

George was right again.

As usual!

He's very boring that way.

Prisic Duskleap and Andy Wylde like this.
  2. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    ...because Lucas felt he was right for the character he created.

Prisic Duskleap and Andy Wylde like this.
  3. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

^^ Was this the Leo as Anakin concept art you were talking about ???

d_arblay likes this.
  4. BretHart

Aug 29, 2015
  5. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Yep that's the one. Anyone know if it was genuine? Pretty decent.

6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I remember reading a newer article about DiCaprio's visit to Skywalker Ranch written a few years ago. Not sure where. But my take away was that it wasn't really about him playing Anakin. Leo was a big Star Wars fan in 1999. George Lucas's kids were big Leo fans in 1999. So basically Leo and his friends / family had the ultimate Episode 1 viewing experience when they got to spend the day with George Lucas and his kids at Skywalker Ranch. George personally gave them a tour of the ranch followed by a private screening of Episode 1. And George was the best dad ever when he invited the star of Titanic to hangout for the day. Everyone had a once in a lifetime experience.

7. Mick RcCallum

Mick RcCallum Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 14, 2015
    Qui-Riv-Brid I hear ya, I just meant that I think the films would have benefited from starting TPM with an older Anakin in his late teens and having the same actor play him.

For what it was, I thought Jake Lloyd was fine in TPM but I think it would be more cohesive to start with an older Anakin.
    And I did like Hayden in AOTC and ROTS, so I'm in the minority of people who liked him.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  8. BretHart

Aug 29, 2015
    I think that Anakin drawing might be legit...I'll research it.... But production on Ep.2 was already beginning in May of 1999 (When TPM was being released).

Its very interesting to know how bad Lucas really wanted Leo in the role of Anakin.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't know that the benefits from one end would have been better than the cons.

It's far easier for a girl to be 17 then play 14, be 20 and play 24 and 23 and be 27.

A 17 year old boy can't really play even a 14 year old one and that simply is too old anyway with the way the story of the movies that Lucas settled on would work.

The stress of the child abandoning his mother is of the greatest importance.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Even if the drawing was official, it confirms nothing of the sort. As mentioned earlier, it would have been hugely out of character for Lucas to cast someone that well known to the films' target audience. Other character concept drawings for the PT were known to feature actors that, as far as we can verify, never got close to getting the parts in question. One can't deny that Di Caprio looked like an older Jake Lloyd... but that may have well been the only thinking behind it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  12. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    Ryan Phillippe was on the Howard Stern Show a few years ago and said he really wanted the part of Anakin in Episodes 2 & 3, but was turned down because he was too old. I always thought he and Christensen looked so much alike that they could be brothers.

As far as Jake Lloyd is concerned, he was most likely hired because he fit the profile of the wide-eyed, yet rambunctious kid -like the one he played in Jingle All The Way- and more importantly, like Joey Starrett, the wide-eyed rambunctious kid played by Brandon deWilde in Shane (the classic western that was a big influence on TPM). Any resemblance between Lloyd and DiCaprio is due to both having baby faces. DiCaprio always looked a good 7-8 years younger than he actually was, which explains his popularity with adolescent girls -as well as middle-aged housewives with a scary May Kay Letourneau fixation.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. BretHart

Aug 29, 2015
    They have similar features such as a round face with similar facial features too. Even older Jake Lloyd looks like Leo at that age too....

The interview of Phillippee wasn't too old, I think it was last year. He said he was thankful he didnt get the part hinting that the prequels sucked. I think he said "Yeah, i'm really glad I didnt get that one".

14. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    I think it is because he looked similar to Mark Hamill.

15. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    .... he was that generic "all-American" kid Lucas seemed to have in mind, no offense though. I certainly don't think facial features were analyzed in any way to match his then unknown successor. Absurd idea....
    Yeah, well, he was blond, and that's more or less where similarities ended. Oh, was DiCaprio in any way already under contract to play Anakin as of TPM? I wasn't aware of that. "Considered" is not a valid reason.
    Seriously, would Leo have played Anakin better than Hayden? "No way" is the only possible answer I have. So yes, he was "experienced" in delivering totally unrealistic Shakespeare dialog in some modern day parallel-universe Mexico City. It was a huge gamble and experiment, which happened to partially actually work. Hey, it has grown even on me, as someone who will absolutely never even consider the idea that any other than the 1968 Zeffirelli version of Romeo & Juliet is even remotely acceptable.
    That said, Leo did a tolerably good job, and convinced even a sceptic as myself. But... wouldn't he, don't know, have been "typecast" as tragic lover? Wasn't he in Titanic as well? :confused:
    All in all, I'm glad Jake and Hayden got to play Anakin in the end! :D

wobbits likes this.
  16. Tom Skywalker

Tom Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2020
    Jake Lloyd was cast because he resembled Mark Hamill.

In this TPM documentary, casting director Robin Gurland explains that "Natalie [Portman] had to look like Carrie Fisher and Anakin had to look like Mark Hamill"

(Why though? Luke could also have inherited his blond hair from his mother and Leia her dark hair from her father, you know.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Because Lucas wanted the parallels between the parents and their children to be apparent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    So what exactly are we arguing here? That Lucas originally wrote Anakin as a young adult but after being turned down by DiCaprio, he decided screw it, lets make him a child? All evidence points to Anakin being that young early in the script and DiCaprio turning down Episode II.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    None of the above. Lucas allowed Leo to bring his loved ones to see TPM at the ranch and his family (Lucas) got to meet him. Neither man has said anything about casting for Anakin. Ryan Phillippe wanted the part, but was older than what Lucas wanted.

20. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Are you being disingenuous on purpose? It is well documented DiCaprio had a meeting with Lucas about the potential for playing him, but he felt he wasn't ready to "take the dive"

it's ok people turned Lucas down ya now, it happens, no need to act like such a meeting between the two men didn't happen.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I didn't know that part.

22. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Where was this said?

23. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    shortlist interview , 2015 I believe.

24. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    He was on Lucas' list for AOTC and turned it down. I've never seen anything about him being considered for TPM.

This interview is somewhat vague on the timeline but I only ever heard him as being considered for Anakin starting with Episode II because of the 10 year jump.

Dandelo likes this.
  25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I remember hearing Heath Ledger was considered. Now THAT would have been amazing. But who knows what the truth is, there were lots of rumors around that time.