main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends Chyntuck's ramblings | "Fermu Soldatu Tin" (OTP Fairy Tale Challenge) | Replies 03 Dec 2017

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Chyntuck, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    WOW -- I'm not exactly sure what to say.... you're writing is amazing and very entertaining. I have never been gripped by an OC like Ayesha ever before. And you know that I have been enjoying your Ayesha/Thrawn story as if it were chocolate.@};-@};-^:)^

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    OK, so...since I'm only at the chapter five in Ananke and without a first proper set of notes that make sense; some of these things are a clear surprise to me and I may need to have this, Ananke and your OC post open side-by-side, to make sure I didn't miss anything. :)

Quinlan Vos sounds like an amazing character and since his story seems to be abandoned, I totally hope there will be more of him in your world. What I have just read compliments the Wook entry on him in the best way possible.

The ending was like that little bit of light Anne Frank could see through the window - like a little glimmer of hope in a world under a tyrrant's rule.

I would certainly welcome more vignettes from Ayesha's youth.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Awww.... so sweet, but yet kinda bittersweet.

I loved that last line, it really gives us a glimpse into what seems like a bright future.

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks all for reading and taking the time to review!
    Thank you! Ayesha has come a long way between the moment when she was adopted and the moment you met her in Ἀνάγκη. My experience with adoption is second-hand, obviously, but Mr Chyntuckopoulos told me repeatedly how awkward he felt towards his stepmum when she first took him in. He was both relieved to have someone to call family and slightly afraid of her. I was far too young at the time to understand how difficult it must have been for him :(
    Thanks [:D]
    They do. She does that to people, you know ;)

Thanks! I enjoyed this challenge very much -- most importantly because "unexpected gift" was given such a broad meaning and gave me the leeway to write a story where everyone gets a gift and can even be the gift :)
    Ha :) I saw that you were all over this thread the other day. I'm glad you liked it. And thanks!
    :eek: Nah, I don't think you need to go to such lengths to read my fics -- although I can see why a spin-off from my main fic would be confusing for someone who hasn't read it. And I'm more than flattered to have such a curious and attentive reader :)
    Quinlan Vos is one of my favourite EU characters -- and I'm not such a big fan of the Clone Wars period, so that's saying a lot. You should definitely read the comics where he appears, he's a cool, big-hearted badass.
    Careful what you wish for :p But yes, I was thinking last night that I could turn this into a series of shorts. Ayesha shows Thrawn 5 family holos in chapter 4 of Ἀνάγκη, so I thought it would be fun to write the background story to each. Now to find the magic button that makes days last 48 hours...
    Thanks [:D]

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

That would've been my next reply, though my notes say "hmmm, isn't it too early for her to show him that?". If it's a parade, then...LET IT BE A PARADE. :)

And I need to go great lengths when a) I like it; b) my eyes are literally shakey; c) etc. d) probably this area's fault.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Just lovely! [face_love] I've been wanting to meet Ayesha's Wookiee family ever since I first read about them. Yakooboo and Messiri are such loving, tender parents—no doubt that is where Ayesha learned much of the grace and generosity that characterizes her in Anánke. Love how she herself is the unexpected gift; as we see from that last sentence, she too is getting the gift of a new lease on life, smiles instead of tears.

I would love to see you do a short story for each of Ayesha's five family holos—that's a fantastic idea. @};-

AzureAngel2, Ewok Poet, Gemma and 3 others like this.
  7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks so much for the reviews Ewok Poet Findswoman [:D] The Wookiee family will be back soon in Ἀνάγκη (on 26 Feb to be precise :p) and I started working on little stories for each holo. Unfortunately I still haven't found the magic button that makes days last 48 hours. The bloody thing is too well hidden, just when I need it most! :mad:

8. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Chyntuck you find that magic button you must share; but heading to Mars where the days last 36 hours is not the answer.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Was just rereading "Feline Trouble," and I have to say, you bring crack!fic to all-new levels of artistry with that story—all while maintaining absolutely perfect deadpan Imperial characterization. It's as absolutely hilarious as it is precisely because no one is out of character despite the zaniness of the situation. Big congratulations on its "best short story" nomination! =D=

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Just FYI, I'm still looking for it. Any progress on your side?

Thanks :) I still want to write the sequel to that one ("Canine adventures") but the above-mentioned issue of the magic button is throwing a hydrospanner in the circuits.

11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The Hairdo has been moved to La Bohème to be with its sibling stories about Ayesha's time in the Academy of Fine Arts.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    AzureAngel2, Gemma, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Chyntuck - [face_rofl] and SQUEEEEEE! I love the blend with other authors' fanons! =D= And I had to chuckle at the chatty Hutt [face_mischief] and love imagining Ayesha's new 'do! 8-}

[:D]

AzureAngel2, Gemma, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    OH MY GOD. IT'S HIM, IT'S HIM, IT'S HIM AND HE'S TRYING TO BE BONVIKA, COURT BONVIKA AND HE WAS DFAB. AND IT WAS MY SUGGESTION TO PAIR THOSE TWO SOMEHOW, SO NOW YOU TOTALLY HAVE TO PAY ME ROYALTIES. :eek:

There’s some mumbo-jumbo in the law about the bodily fluids of Hutts inconveniencing Humans, you know how it is. - So wonderfully gross, gross, gross. :D

And a wonderful sentient she is too. - ...sheeeeee's supercalifragilisticespalidocious. :D

holocamera tripod, a glow rod and a hyperspace sextant - Of course he has a glow rod. He needs it for raves.

I can totally imagine this guy doing some extremely weird stuff in future.

AzureAngel2, Gemma, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  14. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Oh, this is wonderful! I totally want to go to SHAZAM! so I can have my hair done by a flock of little birdies and a singing shark. Then I can be mahvelous and chahming!

AzureAngel2, Gemma, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  15. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I hope you can describe her new hairdo later in the main story or something. This is funny.

16. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    :D Wow! I was gleeful just to see the debut of the famous Eliskandro, who we've heard about in Resource. But you've got Elellumiwi flittering around too. What a wonderful surprise -- I pretty much squeaked and grinned like a hyper fangirl when they appeared, and they were so well-utilized too. Those appearances together made my day! [face_dancing] (And you had the singing Karkarodon too. [face_rofl] )

Okay, so squee again for the little guys (oh goodness, their little bitty bench with tools -- yes, exactly. This is something that I can so see being a thing for them. :D ) In more seriousness, I don't know if this is reading a lot into it -- but I like the bit of Eliskandro's character that I think we're seeing here. He's working with Ayesha's existing stylistic preferences, having the new hair clips made for what she already likes to use rather than just the slash-and-burn method of "change everything" that you so often see in your stereotypical Hollywood movie makeover. And he's learned to speak to his rather rare assistants in their own tongue -- quite an undertaking (given they're a half-vanished species that he's not likely to ever need to speak to outside his own shop) and one that seems to me to show a touching level of respect for them. Aww! :)

This is just a brilliant slice of Imperial Center life -- the very name of the snooty little department makes one want to laugh and then very possibly go kick them in the vulnerable spots. It's hilarious on one level and horrible on another. And there's more of Eliskandro's rather ferociously sunny disposition. He seems to be a regular marvel of adaptation, thriving in a place that has all of these rules designed to make life uncomfortable for the too-alien -- and loving life in the big city anyway. Because this is the cultural center where all the things are happening, and why would one ever want to be out of the loop? ;)

[face_laugh] Love the crossover here! Eliskandro's crush on Bonvika -- just as wacky as it sounded in the threads and yet it so works. Of course he's smitten, I mean, the immense Bonvika and her stylishness -- how could this not be so? :D

This ending is making me struggle not to laugh like a hyena and wake the entire household. I have had so many of those moments. The "wait, what am I doing and how did I get here?" [face_rofl] If you get around to the Detective Eliskandro Fights Crime stories at some point, I really want to see that.

17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks all for reading and reviewing :)
    I describe it briefly in the early chapters of Ἀνάγκη -- short braids tipped with colourful beads. I imagine it as something between these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm also going to have to pay you royalties for the word supercalifragilisticespalidocious and the scene where Eliskandro goes to a rave party -- because now that you mentioned it, it definitely has to happen :p

There's also a Hoatzeri working in Shazam! He or she (I haven't decided on the gender yet) will make an appearance as soon as I get around to continuing this story.

[:D] Most of those ideas came from your fanon post -- the fact that they think of the technological artifacts they create as pieces of art and how they have difficulty working metal in particular. Besides the fact that I liked the surrealism of fluttering birdies in there, I also thought that it would be the height of posh to have a skilled artisan creating hair/feather/scale accessories for the clients.
    Oh, Eliskandro is definitely "a wonderful human being" :p I have a backstory in mind about how he came to recruit this specific nest-group, I'll consult with you on PM about it.
    Thanks! The longer fic(s) about Eliskandro will have a lot of Imperial bureaucracy. I intend it to act as my psychotherapy against Greek bureaucracy, which is quite horrendous. There was a real story a few years back about someone who opened a combined bookstore-café -- he wasn't allowed to serve coffee during the bookstore working hours and he wasn't allowed to sell books after 6 pm when most people come for coffee :confused: :rolleyes: :_|
    Hello, friend [face_love] I totally suffer from the same disease, not so long ago I went looking for my mobile phone for several hours and finally found it in the fridge [face_worried] Detective Eliskandro will definitely turn up at some point, when the chronic issue of days being too short is solved.

Thanks again!

18. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    An overweight Hutt covered in glittering jewellery was lying on a royal dais in the back of the room, overseeing the situation while more Elellumiwi fluttered around him, scrubbing his hide. “Welcome to Shazahm, dahling,” he boomed in a surprisingly feminine voice as he slid off his dais and crawled towards her with a disgusting squelching sound. “I’m Eliskandro and I’ll be taking care of you. This is your first time here, isn’t it?” Before Ayesha could reply, he steered her towards a Human-sized chair and started untangling her long braids. “Oh, but your hair is mahvelous, simply mahvelous! How about we trim it ever so slightly and ask” – he voiced an unpronounceable series of clicks and chirps and pointed at an Elellumiwi who was sitting at a tiny workman bench covered in cutting tools – “to create some more colourful hair clips for you? Something like this,” he added, waving a lariat of sparkling beads hanging around what he had for a neck. “Oh yes. It will be chahming.”

There he is again, yeah! Nice to see how they met in the first place. But one question. Can he really hold scissors with his short arms?

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hooray! =D= How wonderful to finally meet the Fabulous Eliskandro—I have been looking forward to getting to know him ever since you first mentioned him. This is a gem of a crackfic that really takes that genre (!) to an all-new level of artistry—and I'm not just saying that because my Bonvika is mentioned in such glowing terms (as tickled pink as that makes me :D ), but because it is—besides the (considerable) humor of the situation and concept, we are actually getting to see some interesting and important details in Ayesha's "tree dweller in Imperial City' adjustment (e.g., the big wooden hairclips).

I just love all the details on the various denizens and employees and equipment of the salon. I squeed about the Elellumiwi too—wonderful to see them in action (and how cool is it, as Kahara says, that Eliskandro knows their language). Indeed, it's nothing short of amazing that you managed to work in three very different fanon contributions from three of us here—and a real honor too. I am just so happy that my mahvelous Hutt is getting so much love, both in-universe and out. She and Eliskandro could get on well... [face_thinking] though I almost worry that all fabulousness in one room would cause some kind of explosion in the space-time continuum. [face_laugh]

And can I just say how cool it is that you even managed to get Kiri-Aki in there? W. O. W. I could certainly see her coming to SHAZAHM! when she's on Coruscant—not only to have her lovely long Weequay topknot done, but also for espionnage-y, reconaissance-y reasons... :D

Bravissima! =D=

AzureAngel2, Kahara, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks again for the reviews!
    Oops, I hadn't thought of that. I'll probably need to get creative and invent special Hutt scissors with a very long handle [face_laugh]

"The Fabulous Eliskandro" had me in stitches. Eliskandro of the Galactic Chippendales? [face_rofl]
    Now that you mention it, I can't help but think that this would make an excellent end to that little piece of lunacy that Ewok Poet is working on :p
    That's a plot bunny in the making! :D

21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Unexpected Parenthood is getting not one, not two, but four sequels. I therefore moved the whole lot to a new thread: The Family Holos.

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The following was written in response to Dare # 3 of the Fanfic Olympics. You'll find the prompts behind the spoiler tag.
    Dare #3:
    You must write a canon character having a dream, within a dream, within a dream. All 3 "levels" of dreams must be included, along with the character being awake. You must include:
    • A blender (or fandom-equivalent)
    • The phrase "Not in there!"
    • A sunset
    • Three (or more) of the Greek Muses (more info can be found here)
    Interference

Ephant Mon hated jizz-wail.

He couldn’t stand the rhythm, he couldn’t stand the melodies, he couldn’t stand the jizz, he couldn’t stand the polymnian wailing and above all he couldn’t stand Sy Snootles’s reedy voice. Nothing, not even a performance of the best troupe of the Terps-Ikkor Galactic School of Ballet and Modern Dance, could persuade him to listen to it, and that evening, as soon as things heated up in Jabba’s throne room and the blasted Pa’lowick started yapping Lapti Nek at the top of her hyperinflated lungs, he had fled the revelry and climbed on the roof terrace of the Dune Sea Palace in search of some peace and quiet.

The twin suns of Tatooine were sinking under the horizon with glorious colours, but Ephant Mon was too preoccupied to enjoy the view. The events of the last few days worried him – first, the arrival of the two droids who claimed to be a gift from a self-proclaimed Jedi Knight, then the alleged capture of Chewbacca by Boushh, and finally the revelation that it had all been an elaborate setup to infiltrate the palace and liberate Han Solo from his slab of carbonite. Of course that foolish woman had been caught and swiftly put to good use as Jabba’s newest pet slave – Melina Carniss had described at great length how Leia was made to try every possible outfit in the palace, from a delicate set of heliotrope veils so transparent they seemed superfluous to the minimalist brass bikini she had ended up with – but the Chevin couldn’t help but sense that something was amiss. He resolved to keep an eye on those droids – given the circumstances, they had to be a decoy of the sort described in Kal Liopy’s famous epic about the Trogan war – and to double and triple-check the backgrounds of all the security guards, particularly the latest recruits.

He realised at some point that, being so deep in meditation he hadn’t seen time pass, and it was now only two hours to dawn. He hurried downstairs to try and get some sleep before sunrise, but the unease nagging at the back of his mind prompted him to head for the throne room instead of his private quarters, just to make sure that he would be around if something unexpected were to happen.

The scene he found was typical of the aftermath of Jabba’s orgies. Beings of all species lay limply about in the places they occupied during the evening feast, Salacious Crumb was curled up in Jabba’s lap, muttering as usual in his sleep, and even the Gamorreans standing by the entrance had dozed off, their porcine heads wobbling above their torsos as they sought to maintain their balance and pretend they stood guard. Only Boba Fett seemed to be alert – he was perfectly immobile of course, but there was a tension in his stance that betrayed his vigilance – and Ephant Mon gave him a grateful nod before settling in his usual corner with the hope of getting some rest before the first visitor of the day came to disturb the peace of the moment.

The silence in the throne room was only broken by the occasional rumble from one of the assembled aliens, making the constant buzz of Salacious Crumb’s somniloquy all the more exasperating. The Chevin did his best to block out the sound, but it suddenly struck him that the Kowakian monkey-lizard was humming a lethargic version of Lapti Nek, no doubt improvising obscene lyrics in his sleep. The obsessive melody took control of his mind, and he let out an emphatic sigh at the thought that sleep under the influence of Sy Snootles was no sleep at all. When he finally managed to sink into a deep slumber, the images that assaulted his mind were of scantily dressed Twi’lek girls wriggling their lithe bodies provocatively to the shrill melodies produced by the Max Rebo Band as the rest of Jabba’s court looked on lecherously, wondering if they would be allowed to ‘make use’, as the euphemism had it, of one of the females later that night.

The Chevin shifted around uncomfortably, trying to push the irksome tune out of his dream by focusing on the indistinct background characters who always populated the throne room, beings so hapless and dim-witted that they seemed to have been abandoned there by some ironic twist of fate. There was the Gran drunk, the Whiphid spy – oh yes, Ephant Mon knew everything of the various spies, agents and plotters that floated around the palace, pretending to be Jabba’s loyal henchmen – the pathetic Quarren accountant and the various Gamorrean guards, few of who could produce an entire sentence and most of which barely communicated through snorts, snuffles and grunts.

The Twi’lek girls became increasingly hazy and Lapti Nek slowed down to a discordant rumble as the scene evolved into an incomprehensible ballet of thickset pig-like bulls growling to each other in a most unmelodious way, led by Jubnuk, one of Jabba’s nine Gamorrean guards who had proven, at this point, to be the less dumb of the lot. His relative intelligence notwithstanding, the beast was a terrible singer, Ephant Mon thought in his sleep; the grumbles he produced sounded like flatulent farts and this entire performance of Gamorrean opera was one of the most obnoxious things he had ever heard. The Chevin tried to focus his dream again to return the porcine guard to the place where he belonged, standing by the throne room door with his head lolling about as he pretended to be on duty.

The scene shifted. Jubnuk was now standing a few steps in front of Jabba’s dais, staring at Malakili, the rancor-keeper, who was eying the monster below their feet with unexplainable concern. The golden protocol droid muttered some gibberish in far too sophisticated basic for the obtuse Gamorrean to understand, Jabba burst out in a bout of ominous laughter, and the ground suddenly vanished from under his feet, dropping him straight into the execution den. He heard Malakili scream, “Not in there! No vibro-axes in there!” as he landed at the bottom of the pit, and he scrambled madly to go back up before the gigantic clawed paw that was swinging his way could get hold of him.

The cheering from above was deafening, but all Jubnuk could hear among the catcalls and laughter and the rancor’s roars was Salacious Crumb’s mad cackles. All he could think of was how this detestable creature belonged to a brand of repugnant sentients that should not even be allowed to exist unless they were intended to feed honourable warriors such as himself, and suddenly he was in the Bloated One’s mephitic kitchen, struggling against the flailing and wailing monkey-lizard as he tried to stick him in the sausage shredder with a sprinkle of his preferred fungi while Porcellus prepared for him a tankard of Potwa beer and Ephant Mon cheered on.

The Chevin barely had time to wonder why he was able to observe the scene as an outsider when the dream shifted again. They were back in the throne room and he was darting and lunging from one of the courtiers to the next, leaping around with the ease and swiftness of a monkey while the heavyset Gamorrean lumbered about clumsily in a vain attempt at catching him. He tripped up Porcellus to spill Jabba’s dinner on the Hutt’s lap, poked his beak in Ree-Yees’s middle eye, trampled Max Rebo’s nalargon while the Ortolan was taking a snack, plucked a few hairs out of J’Quille’s fur, tore off Yarna d’al’ Gargan’s dancing outfit, pulled Dannik Jerriko’s proboscis out of his cheek and tied Bib Fortuna’s lekku in a bow tie around his neck, all the while cackling insanely at Jubnuk and checking from the corner of his eye if his antics made Jabba laugh.

Ephant Mon’s eyes snapped open and he gave a puzzled look around the room, wondering what had allowed him to move his mind into the Gamorrean’s head and questioning how the sequence where Jubnuk was fed to the rancor could feel so real, almost like a premonitory vision. He noticed that Jubnuk himself was wide awake, panting heavily as if he had indeed been running after the nasty little jester, whereas Salacious Crumb was still slumbering away serenely on Jabba’s lap, but his observations were interrupted by the creak of the palace’s main gate that signalled dawn and the arrival of the first visitor of the day. The light that filtered from the hallway was pale and dim, indicating that only one of Tatooine’s two suns had risen, but the Chevin felt as if a bright tsunami had entered the castle in its wake. A shiver of fear ran down his spine, but he stood up determinedly. Whatever this higher power was that was interfering with his thoughts, he would face it head-on.

-------------------------------------

Author notes

All the characters that appear in this story are canon or Legends characters. Beside the obvious ones (Jabba, Salacious Crumb, Boba Fett, Bib Fortuna etc), Ephant Mon, Jubnuk, Malakili, Yarna d'al' Gargan, Ree-Yees, J'Quille and Tessek are also characters that appear, however briefly, in Return of the Jedi, whereas Porcellus and Melina Carniss appear only in Legends. Dannik Jerriko is a movie-canon character due to his appearance in A New Hope, but his presence in Jabba's palace during ROTJ is Legends material.

Ephant Mon's mild Force-sensitivity is established in Legends (his on-screen appearance in ROTJ is far too brief to allow for any character background development).

And yes, Gamorrean opera is a thing, I didn't make it up.

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb use of #3. That is one cool set of prompts.

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  24. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I love the incredible detail you bring here. You have everything spot on!
    The idea that Ephant Mon could "move his mind" into another's head is so cool and unsettling at the same time. And the "bright tsunami" that he felt enter the palace - we know who that is. Very, very cool. :cool:

Nyota's Heart, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks! I really liked that set of prompts -- inserting a bit of Inception in Star Wars was just a gift on a silver platter, with all the possibilities the Force offers.
    Thank you! I vaguely remembered reading somewhere that Ephant Mon is mildly Force-sensitive, and I thought that a dream would be the sort of situation where he does things with the Force without really knowing it. Plus, Jabba's palace has got to be one of my favourite places in the GFFA :p

Thanks both for the reviews and thanks to everyone who dropped by to read this :)

Ewok Poet likes this.