main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Favourite game of all time?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ender Sai, Apr 7, 2015.

1. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So, how to answer this question? Well, there's the simple, straightforward way that Ender prefers, I suppose. There's also the more nuanced picking-multiple-games-to-hell-with-the-original-question method. There's the wishy-washy "this is my favorite game but only right this moment" answer.

All of those answers kind of suck.

You want to know the game that I said for years was my favorite? That's easy. Age of Mythology. I have loved that game for over a decade now, and I still go back to it for all kinds of reasons.

But it isn't the game that I'm best at. Nor is it the game that I've played the most overall, or for the longest continuously. It might not even be the game that I enjoy the most.

The more games you play, especially when you fall in love with them, the harder it is to say that the one you say is your favorite is still your favorite. Maybe I should say Third Age: Total War is my favorite game, mod though it may be, because it is the most fully realized LotR game I have ever encountered, it is nearly everything I have wanted in such a game, and perhaps appreciate more than any other. Maybe it's Europa Universalis IV, which I've played for thousands of hours, certainly more than any other game, and done all kinds of different things and made mighty empires and achieved great goals. Maybe it's one of many different visual novels and adventure games; Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney was my "second favorite" when I was trying tobe formal about favorites, for having such a good storyline and atmosphere. And I know I could list a score of other games that I could give other equally valid reasons for being my MOST favorite, for how they make me feel when I play them, for why I like them, for why they're good games.

It's actually really easy for me to name my favorite movie. Amadeus. No question. Then the Star Wars OT lumped together for 2 and LotR for 3 because I'm a lumper and because I'm a geek and because they have a grandfather clause that only Amadeus has been good enough to beat, and I could tell you formal rankings for the top 20 because, well, I already said I was a geek. For films it's easy. Unlike any other medium (besides theatre) you have one self-contained story that you can experience in one sitting. With a book, with a game, with a TV show, it's more gradual, more continuous. A show will have good episodes and bad episodes over a period of years. A book is generally read, for me, anyway, over an extended period of time, with lots of other things in between sittings. And a game has that and the added complication of interactivity. Believe me, I've tried to create a numbered list for games, and I didn't even know where to start. Generally at least #1 is easy. Favorite film: Amadeus. Favorite play: The Importance of Being Earnest. Favorite live-action show: Doctor Who. And so on.

But I couldn't just say "It's still Age of Mythology" and leave it. It felt too much like I was just saying it because it was what I had already said, when all of these other new and amazing games had come along and some of them should definitely be considered, but I couldn't pick one. Because there isn't one. I mean, how do you choose between Age of Mythology and Phoenix Wright when they have nothing in common, or between EUIV and Katamari? Even games in the same genre, like Pokemon and KotOR, are hugely different in nature. I argue that they are literally incomparable. And so I don't, maybe can't have a most favorite. It's not that I don't want to answer Ender's question; it's that Ender's question, in this case, isn't valid. It makes no sense to say what my favorite game is when it's, as far as I can tell, a 15 or 20-way tie.

Also, it's fun to go against what Ender wants, in its own small way. And sometimes that makes typing up a post longer and more serious than the topic should deserve worth it, all the more because what's said in the post is true.

P.S. On an entirely different point, talking about a favorite anything "of all time" is pointless because it concedes that nothing better will ever come along, which is a ridiculous prediction to make. "All time" includes the future too, you know. It's a stupid phrase and people should stop using it.

Life likes this.
  2. Andrelious

Andrelious Jedi Knight

Sep 26, 2012
    TIE Fighter. Simple as.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Mega Drive.

Life likes this.
  4. Codename_Strife's_Shadow

Codename_Strife's_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2015
    I don't know why, but I definitely love the Super Smash Bros. Melee from GameCube; it was great fun, especially for organizing tournaments with friends and family, as well as making arena-style violence family-friendly

Winner by TKO: Super Smash Bros.

Force Smuggler and Life like this.
  5. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Mario Galaxy 2.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  6. darksundquist

darksundquist Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2015
    XCOM, X-Com, Final Fantasy, etc...

7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Sonic in his prime before he took up crack.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  9. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Thoughts on the upcoming reboot?

10. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
  11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Deus Ex Revision is nearly here!

12. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    Nearly isn't near enough! I've been avoiding (with difficulty) going back and playing it while I wait for Revision to come out.

13. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Mutant League Hockey.

Life likes this.
  14. Gorkom

Gorkom Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2014
    I'd have a hard time between picking Halo: CE (mostly due to nostalgia) and Bioshock 1 and Aliens Isolation...there really are so many good games out there though.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Got a new king:

[​IMG]

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Probably Civilization II for me.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  17. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    The Questron and Phantasie series. Masters of Orion 2. Legacy of the Ancients and ES3: Morrowind as well. Rise of Nations, Civ 2 & 4 were good too.

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Favourite. Not favourites.

Pick one and stick to it, Switzerland.

19. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Skyrim for sure.

20. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015

LOL

21. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Oblivion. I played that game to death and loved every second of it. I could start a new game right now and enjoy it just as much. Having said that, Skyrim is nearly equally as fun.

22. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is probably the best game i ever played. But if i had to choose favourites, it would be the X-Wing series or Wing Commander series.

Life likes this.
  23. Creeon2003

Creeon2003 Jedi Knight

Sep 23, 2015
    STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT pulls back the curtain on their upcoming game :vader:

24. Anomaly 6573-02

Anomaly 6573-02 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2015
    I'm not saying this simply because this is a Star Wars forum, but my absolute favorite game of all-time is the original Knights of the Old Republic on the Xbox. After that, Final Fantasy VII would be next.

Life likes this.
  25. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I can't choose one. But I guess sonic the hedgehog 2 on genesis. My first console game.

Life likes this.