main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars Episode VII-IX - What are Your Biggest Fears?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by dolphin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I am of this thought as well. I am very excited for TFA for one main thing, to be summed up in three words:

MORE STAR WARS!

But what I am hoping we don't see is a carbon copy of the OT, overpandering to fans and rehashing of elements we love from the OT-basically just a 2 hour trailer of "everything we love about Star Wars." Each trilogy has its own tone, atmosphere and themes. This one should too.

The good news is that from what we've seen so far, it looks like there's plenty of new ideas to enjoy, so that it doesn't end up feeling like "OT Revisited."

Skellybobs likes this.
  2. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015

I think you're right actually. Sorry, I tend to mix up theme with feeling. So yeah, I'd like seeing new themes but also the same old "feeling" of the OT.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Taylor Swift's recent video is set in Africa evoking a kind of 1930s movie set safari pre-late '90s Banana Republic ad atmosphere. The internet bashed it for representing and endorsing African colonialism.
    Mad Max Fury Road got sidelined by the whole "feminist movie" accusations when it wasn't being dumped by the box office-watching jocks comparing it to Pitch Perfect 2.
    Black Hawk Down was called racist because it was about American troops fighting Somalians.
    I fear something out of nowhere trashing this movie, and these days this stuff is conceived by people just looking to draw attention to their names or blogs or vlogs or sites.

Skellybobs likes this.
  4. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    My biggest fear is the "Marvel-ization" of the Star Wars franchise. I suppose it's too late for that.....I fear Disney owning SW will hurt it in the long run.

5. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Yeah, but in this case they seem to have all the bases covered. Lead male actors are minorities,check. More than one prominent female character,check. None of the female character's costumes are "sexualized".(hell, one actress is in a suit of armor presumably the entire film.) check.

I don't think they have anything to worry about. Unlike the previous films, you can easily tell this film has been arranged by committee.

6. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    But I want metal bikinis! ;)

Forbidden Island and Sarge like this.
  7. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm afraid they're a thing of the past, my friend. This PC age would never allow it.

However, I'm sure once the "Story movies" start to wain in popularity, they'll probably bow to the pressure of people wanting a "Dark & Gritty" SW movie, by doing something "edgy" like that.

I wonder how long it'll be before we have the chorus of fanboys saying "we need an R rated SW movie!"? Probably the same people that swear we need an R rated Batman movie.:rolleyes:

natureboy76 likes this.
  8. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015

I've always found the post-Avengers Marvel movies to be "serviceable" at best. It entertains me for 2 hours, but afterwards nothing sticks with me. I usually have stopped thinking about each movie within a day of seeing it. Star Wars wouldn't necessarily be bad that way, but it would definitely be a huge step backwards from the OT.

9. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I had to stop reading as it got detailed but it looks like we'll see it get called a "PC Star Wars movie", or something like that.
    And yes Obi John Kenobi, I've already seen people clamor for a gritty R-rated Star Wars movie.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Let's also not forget about the (admirable) fact that they have gone out of their way to include characters from all different types of nationalities in this movie. I agree that it seems they have worked hard to cover all of their bases regarding avoiding any criticism about any type of racism or sexism. I have never seen a more culturally diverse group of actors playing characters in any type of action or sci-fi movie. They will be hard-pressed to find something valid to criticize about TFA in this one. then again I'm sure somebody will find something that will only end up sounding like a ridiculous stretch, with writers and critics grasping at straws just to find something to complain about.

And then we will all just roll our eyes

and move along...

Obi-John Kenobi and Sarge like this.
  11. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Oh, I'm sure the criticism will focus on exactly that. "They tried TOO hard to include someone from every race and gender, and they turned the movie into Token aFfirmative Action." or some such nonsense.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    Yeah, some people are just looking to be "offended", and those kinds of people will generally "invent" whatever it is they're looking to be offended by.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  13. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I miss being able to watch a movie and just like it, without anticipating what would be written about it and then learning what others thought of it and debating about it. I spent all of the '80s and early '90s not knowing people didn't like the Ewoks.

14. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Yup, I didn't know people didn't like the Ewoks until like 2004.

Skellybobs likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, same here. I always figured people loved the Ewoks. Why wouldn't they?

Silly people!
    [​IMG]

16. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    People that want to read their own prejudices into it will find what they're looking for.

I remember Watto was supposed to be a stereotype of XYZ and the Gungans were representing race/ethnic or group ABC.

People will find something to be critical of. Read my prior entries...

17. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    I'm back with more pessimism!

I really hope these movies don't "over-stuff" themselves with SW elements. One of the biggest parts of TFA marketing I've noticed is the idea that this movie "is for the fans". That means characters you want to see back, special effects you want to see back, new characters with loaded charisma, OT mood, and above all else trying their greatest not to screw ANYTHING up.

And yet, they could totally screw EVERYTHING up by doing just that. All the elements I listed above could make a fantastic SW movie... IF they're distributed properly. Not just checked off a checklist and randomly thrown together into an incohesive mess of potential.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Mod edit: Spoiler content removed.

Also, enjoy your vacation from the boards.

19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

DUDE! NSA!

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Not using John Williams for Eps VIII and IX

No idea why they wouldn't. He's said he'd be willing to do it

Obi-John Kenobi, DBPirate and Sarge like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless he dies or something. Or some type of hospitalization is needed.

23. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015

Of course he's my number one but if we had to go on without his scores, Michael Giacchino would be my second choice. Zimmer may arguably have more talent, but Giacchino better fits the Star Wars bill in my mind.

24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Well of course if it's a result of health complications, it's understandable, but openly rejecting Williams when he's healthy and willing to do it is just wrong imo

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    But that would never happen.

26. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm made suspicious by either KK or Bob Iger claiming that he had only been confirmed for Ep VII, not the whole ST