main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Game] The First College Football Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 27, 2015.

1. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Week 8 Recap:

FFFU 26, Coruscant Vaders 17
    IHNRHW 28, Rubber Duck Quackers 21 (OT)
    Tebow's Holy Rollers 47, Ball So Hard U Ballers 32
    Get On Board the Sexy Boat 34, Legends of Tomorrow 27
    OBC's MVPs 37, The Awful Velocipedestriennes 16
    Scarlet and Grey Sloopies 44, Princes of the Universe 39

Standings:

SEC Speed Divison

OBC's MVPs 8-0 (4-0)
    FFFU 7-1 (3-1)
    The Awful Velocipedestriennes 6-2 (3-1)
    IHNRHW 6-2 (2-2)
    Coruscant Vaders 5-3 (1-3)
    Rubber Duck Quackers 4-4 (0-4)

Big Ten or Eight or XII Division

Scarlet and Grey Sloopies 8-0 (4-0)
    Princes of the Universe 5-3 (3-1)
    Get On Board the Sexy Boat 4-4 (2-2)
    Tebow's Holy Rollers 5-3 (2-2)
    Ball So Hard U Ballers 4-4 (0-4)
    Legends of Tomorrow 4-4 (0-4)

Week Nine:

Legends of Tomorrow at IHNRHW
    Forecast: 20 Degrees, Medium Wind, 75% Chance of Snow

Get On Board the Sexy Boat at Rubber Duck Quackers
    Forecast: 50 Degrees, Heavy Wind, 80% Chance of Rain

Coruscant Vaders at Scarlet and Grey Sloopies
    Forecast: 40 Degrees, Medium Wind, 10% Chance of Rain

OBC's MVPS at Tebow's Holy Rollers
    Forecast: 20 Degrees, Medium Wind, 75% Chance of Snow

FFFU at Ball So Hard U Ballers
    Forecast: 60 Degrees, Light Wind, 5% Chance of Snow

Princes of the Universe at The Awful Velocipedestriennes
    Forecast: 10 Degrees, Heavy Wind, 60% Chance of Snow
    FAKE COLLEGE GAMEDAY IS COMING BACK TO CANADA FOR THIS ONE

3. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    What a refreshing day for football!

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I was positive that I was going to get beat down by EF, who I still think gets me on a neutral field. Anyway, good win - now we take the show into the snow.

5. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    My simulations had us pretty even, with some outlier games going either way. I guess this was one of those outliers.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll say this, I prefer the four game series approach of the basketball game, simply because the larger sample size means the better team wins more often and it's a little less random.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Again, I'm still not sure what the sim is doing, per se -- since I look at the actual stats (both for the team defenses, as well as some of the players) and they don't appear to match up with what the simulator is doing. Of course, I have no idea what weights are, etc.

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I feel like it is totally random, but I also don't know what the weights are. Unlike the basketball sim, this is simming the possibility of big plays, and the winner seems to be decided mostly by whoever happens to get the most of those random big plays (and I have no idea how those are calculated).

9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Guys it's very simple. Draft Buckeyes.

For an extra boost do not draft Wolverine trash.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I won't lie, the simulator has disappointed me, too. For example, when I put in a pass heavy offense for someone, and then they run the ball 80% of the game. And I'm left to just scratch my head. Or, when a defense is exploited in an area of strength, but dominates the other side. I mean, I'm still having fun (and I hope you guys are, too), it's just not as much a skill and strategy driven game as I think the basketball game was. Which is unfortunate, because college football is just about the greatest thing in the world.

tom and dp4m like this.
  11. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008

Then why is my Buckeye defense utter and complete trash on the field every game . . .?

12. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Yo for real though, the sim makes sense based on usage and per game averages. The problem with a guy like Tebow (aside from that he sucks irl) is that, per game, he rushes a ton for a low average. Sure he racked up a lot of TDs that way, but unless he's in position to make those scores-- by, like, not dominating the ball himself several times for few yards, against what are some of the most elite defenses of all time-- then it's not like the sim is just gonna give them to him. And while the playbook definitely affects what plays are run, it doesn't completely overhaul a player's personality.

Think of it as drafting 2005 Kobe and then telling him and the other 4 dudes to run a Popovich passing system-- sure there might be more ball movement, but 2005 Kobe is still gonna jack his share of shots. Because if he didn't, that's not 2005 Kobe.

There's definitely less room for tinkering in this game (what would that look like since football isn't played in series? a video game? halftime adjustments?) but honestly most of the fun comes from College Gameday and your breakdowns Inty. So like...keep it up and maybe tell Shaq to return my texts kthx.

Also tell him to tweet something funny but mean at Gunny for that comment.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I'm just looking at things like 2012 Alabama where it was impossible to run against them, but they were vulnerable to the pass in a really good pass offense.

Or Sam Bradford going 50-3 for TD/INT in a year against very good DEF and throwing more picks in this sim than that entire year.

14. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    I can't tell if you're trying to make a point there beyond "I created a great passing offense and lost!" but I really just want Shaq to text me back

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, I'm saying in general concepts. Yes, I lost that game, but because it's bad weather. :p

I'm more talking about great run defenses having people run 300+ yards against them, etc. I'm not talking specifically about me.

16. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Why are you quoting my posts right after I post them stop it's weird

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    true about tebow rushing for a low average. but his passing stats are pretty ridiculous so it was a bit frustrating when i went with the heavy pass playbook and he rushed like 52 times and threw twelve passes. that's my only problem with the sim really.

18. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    From a YPA standpoint maybe, but he almost rushed more times than he had completions. The sim-- from what I've seen-- puts a lot of emphasis on that, which makes sense given stats like TDs are less indicative of behavior. Again if you tell 2005 Kobe "don't shoot as much" and on the off-chance he listens and doesn't just say **** you, not shooting "as much" still is like a lot of shooting.

Also I just typed all that half-asleep in my bed on my phone in case that makes no sense or is spelled wrong

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Pics please. :p

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    qb: leaf, kaepernick, none
    rb: bush, johnson, forte, none
    wr: jackson, edwards, bailey, alexander
    te: davis, keller, none

playbook: favor pass

21. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Same lineup, pass heavy.

22. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Ball So Hard U

QB1: RGIII (a.k.a. Robert Griffin III) (Baylor, 2011), QB2: Joe Hamilton (Georgia Tech, 1999), QB3: Colt Brennan (Hawaii, 2006)
    RB1: Ricky Williams (Texas, 1998), RB2: Jacquizz Rodgers (Oregon State, 2009), RB3: Ken Simonton (Oregon State, 2000), RB4: Toby Gerhart (Stanford, 2009)
    WR1: Braylon Edwards (Michigan, 2004), WR2: Golden Tate (Notre Dame, 2009), WR3: Tavon Austin (West Virginia, 2012), WR4: Jordan Shipley (Texas, 2009)
    TE1: Coby Fleener (Stanford, 2011), TE2: Gavin Escobar (San Diego State, 2011), TE3: James Casey (Rice, 2008)
    K: Cairo Santos (Tulane, 2012) P: Ryan Allen (Louisiana Tech, 2012) ST: Miami, 2004 DEF: Ohio State University 2002
    Playbook: Favor Run

23. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    HOME:

QB:
    1. Johnny Manziel
    2. Connor Halliday
    3. Lynch
    RB:
    1. Arrington
    2. Coleman
    3. Hanspard
    4. Harrison
    WR:
    1. Harvin
    2. Hall
    3. Cooks
    4. McCluster
    TE:
    1. Johnson
    2. Amaro
    3. Whalen
    Playbook: heavy run

24. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  25. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Go with the same lineup I sent in last week.