main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph In Town With a Few Days to Kill: The Prey-dator Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jun 24, 2014.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    something something no new ideas in Hollywood grumble grumble boring something something

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    By "inventive sequel" he most likely means it's not a direct sequel to any of the prior movies, but rather a stand-alone that doesn't ignore the established mythology of the franchise.

Technically, I think that would describe every core Predator film so far- with 2 & 3 only making some references to the first film but otherwise having nothing else to do with those specific events (2 is more closely tied but 3 only really had an off hand reference).

Prometheus isn't the best comparison because they were pretty upfront about it not being entirely an Alien prequel but rather it's own tangent franchise. AVP is closer to Prometheus in that way, but even that isn't exactly equivalent.

A Predator film just needs to swap out it's setting (jungle/city/alien world) and prey (soldiers/cops/killers) and, perhaps, throw in some new elements (usually cultural- honor code/wolves, etc).

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Yeah, I get that. I just think in that context, it's a fine line between "reboot" and " inventive sequel." Black says he doesn't like "reboots," so he says his movie isn't one....but 85% of the movie is probably going to be just that. If the movie was a food label, it would have enough ingredients for the FDA to label it as such.

With Prometheus, they always were upfront, but the degree was always in flux right up to and including the release, which came off as intentionally coy. Prometheus could have never mentioned the alien connection at all, and it probably would have been a better movie, but more of an unknown, unproven one for the studio. Certainly, the strengths and weaknesses of the film would have existed even without dancing on the fringe of the alien universe.

If this Predator movie has an all new cast, with a new setting, and different alien/prey set-up, what is left for an inventive sequel vs a reboot, except in name only? Black could pull something good out here-he's hit or miss, so we'll have to wait and see.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope it's not as disappointing as Predators was.

Violent Violet Menace and TX-20 like this.
  5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    You didn't like Predators? I quite enjoyed it. A big surprise for me after the crap that were the AVP films. I was into it the moment I started hearing the original movies theme.

V-2 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I thought it was mediocre and unremarkable. It wasn't the pile of steaming poo the AvP movies were, but still nothing to write home about.

Juke Skywalker, dp4m, TX-20 and 2 others like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Consistency with the established Predator design, culture, technology and general mythos, for starters.

A reboot could change any if those with impunity- a stand alone sequel can't.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I enjoyed "Predators". A pretty good film and a different spin on the mythos.

SithSense likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The original sequel to Predator was supposed ot be something like Predators starring Arnold as Dutch but at the time it was shot down and we got, well, Danny Glover and gang.

10. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    oh my gosh jay brack? oh wow predditor sequel woo hoot!

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just noticed we got a small update back in August on this project:

Collider link

It’s been a year since we last heard about the new Predator movie that Shane Black is attached to direct, but we’ve got some good news: it’s still very much moving forward. The Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 3 filmmaker signed on to direct and write a treatment for a new Predator movie last summer, enlisting friend and Monster Squad co-writer Fred Dekker to pen the screenplay. While initially reported as a reboot of the property, Black—who appeared as an actor in the 1987 original and also contributed significantly to the script—subsequently revealed to us that the film is instead an “inventive sequel” that will mine the rich mythology of the franchise.

And “inventive” appears to be the keyword for this new film. Haleigh recently caught up with producer John Davis at the Television Critics Association where he was discussing his new NBC series The Player, and when asked if the Predator film was still happening he replied, “Oh yes, you better believe it.” The producer went on to discuss what makes Black’s take so exciting:

“Shane shot a movie and he’s doing a pilot now, but I’ve read a lot of his script and I think it’s genius. I think it’s genius and I think it’s entertaining, and what it did is recreate a famous franchise in a different, interesting way; looking at it from a different light. He’s just an amazing writer-director. He’s got a way of looking at this that makes you excited again. I love this franchise. It was the first movie I ever did. I remember in being in the jungle with Arnold [Schwarzenegger] as a 28-year-old and going, ‘This is a fun business!’…Shane’s amazing. He’s an amazing storyteller.”

“Shane’s got a writing partner, Fred Dekker. They’ve been doing it together and Fred’s great. The two of them together, they’ve been in the business for a long time, but the writing is so fresh, the perspective is so fresh. I’m telling you you’re going to get something you don’t expect and you’re going to say, ‘This is the most entertaining way to reinvent a franchise.’ I mean he’s the guy who wrote Iron Man 3.”

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  12. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Iron man 3 was crap.

This fills me with no confidence.

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I can't say I'd have exactly pushed IM3 if I were him, but it was a massive hit, has a %79 on RT (Higher than Age of Ultron) and a respectable 7.3 on IMDb, so maybe I'm in the minority when I say I hate it.

But anyway, forget Predator, I thought Black was working on Doc Savage and Drake's Fortune movies, both of which I'd rather see than another tug on the Predator teat, no matter how innovative.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I liked Iron Man 3 , but this predator series has never been much good , even the first one is pretty stupid , I mean it was fun , but . . . I aint got time to bleed .

15. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

[​IMG]

Interesting sidenote: The image above comes from the HBO Tales From the Crypt episode "People Who Live in Brass Hearses", starring Brad Dourif and Bill Paxton. The comic book was created as a shout-out to Paxton, who not only had his spine removed in Predator 2, but had also signed on to play Frank James in Frank and Jesse.

16. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I thought that Prometheus had potential but fell short of being as good as it could be. The Alien series has declined since the second movie, and Predator has done the same. Predators had potential, but it too was lacking in quality.

Is this Shane Black movie still gonna happen or no?

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Read what Quest posted.

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I liked Predators, quite a bit actually. And I certainly liked it far more than Prometheus.

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't HATE it, but I don't especially love it either. It's very "meh" to me. It's got it's good elements, but also lots of problematic ones. And I keep hearing people try and claim that it's some "genius" film with "clever" writing, and I really don't see that at all.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Predators has some cool twists and interesting moments and a very badass final line. It kinda bothers me they had to introduced the Nu-Predator and he straight up murdered the classic Predator, that always bugs me when they have a classic baddie job to the new guy to up their rep, but aside from that it's some solid Predator-ing throughout.

It's not as quotable as the original Predator but that is a high-standard of awesome movie quotability so don't hold that against it.

Interesting side note: Arnold has one said out of all of his lines, "Get to the Choppa!" was actually one that snuck up on him as being popular. when the movie came out, it wasn't all about that but years later, after he comes back from being Governor, everyone is all "Get to the Choppa!!"

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Speaking of which, has anyone seen an official term for the larger Predators (outside of character "names" in the script)?

I've seen many ones, including Super Predator on one wiki (but that's a little silly for this context, IMO), Wolf Predators elsewhere alluding to the comparison made between dogs & wolves (but that causes confusion with the Predator named Wolf in AVP2), as well as outcasts/bad bloods, etc.'

Since there's a good chance they'll be part of the mythology being mined here somehow, it'd be nice to have an official term to call them.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The bigger fish.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I appreciated what it was trying to do, particularly with the PTSD stuff, and I was amused by the twist, even though I think it ultimately undermined the movie, but otherwise, man, I just really hate IM3. In fact, I think the IM films have been the weak link of the MCU. But, that's getting off topic and I apologize.

If anyone is going to take another stab at the Predator thing, Black would seem to be the best choice. I just don't think there's much left to mine in what was a pretty shallow mythos to begin with.

24. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Predator had mythos outside of "Big dudes chased through jungle by bigger alien dude"?

Really that's always been the problem with the sequels. They've tried to turn Predator from a schlocky action franchise into gigantic space opera. Being the horrible cynic that I am I can only believe this is because the latter sells more in additional materials like comics and books. After all, the likes of Alien and Star Wars just rakes in those tasty lore bucks.

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Predator to me is really a one-off. It's a suspenseful action movie with a sci-fi twist, with a very straightforward premise, and that's it. I really can't think of any interesting thing you could do with a sequel. I don't think the two sequels that do exist are particularly interesting either. I suppose you could take it in a completely different direction and make it a hard sci-fi movie about our first contact with alien life, and reveal how they are actually a sophisticated pacifist high culture. As it turns out, those hunters we've been seeing so far are really the ***holes of their species, like that dentist guy who likes killing lions.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.