main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will John Williams Deliver?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by ChewieWe'reHome, Aug 26, 2015.

?

What do you predict (or want) John Williams to deliver in TFA?

Poll closed Dec 17, 2015.
  1. All new pieces

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A mixture of mostly new pieces and some old

28 vote(s)
    73.7%
  3. An even mixture of new and old pieces

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. A mixture of mostly old pieces and some new

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. All old pieces

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (describe in the comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    Thinking about seeing the opening crawl again on the big screen, along with Williams' classic main theme, is of course very exciting. But what do you think the music will be from there?

I can never deny Williams' genius and eternal impact on film scores. Most people will hold his upcoming work up to the OT scores, but I'll even go ahead and say that I liked a lot about his PT pieces. Of course everyone remembers Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes, but I also love Augie's Great Municipal Parade, Droid Invasion, Across the Stars, (whatever that Kamino theme was called), and others.

Nevertheless so many things could go wrong, even in the hands of a living legend (how ever unlikely). I for one am not in favor of continually rehashing the old pieces. If that were to be the case, I hope he at least fills the gaps in-between with new pieces rather than generic filler that probably won't make the soundtrack. Or if there are new pieces, I hope they aren't accompanied by a plethora of "throwback jingles" (not that that's new to SW, even ESB had some throwback jingles). The jingles would be fine, just as long as they don't cast a nostalgic shadow over the new stuff.

Worst case scenario, to me anyways: all new pieces... that sound like "John Williams impersonations". I don't want to hear the music and have to keep thinking, "oh, that sounds like THIS John Williams song... I mean wow, it sounds a LOT like that John Williams song". What a terrible distraction from the movie.

Bottom-line: Do I believe John could pull it off? Absolutely. I'm just a scared little fanboy. And don't let my opinions and ugly rants offend you. I'd love hearing your OWN personal thoughts.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd say it'll be a mixture of mostly new pieces with some old material - just like the prequels (and TESB & ROTJ for that matter). I'm sure we'll hear Leia's theme when we are re-introduced to her for example, but most will probably be new stuff.

Will he deliver? I'm sure of it! The guy's been doing it for a while now, and has yet to fail if you ask me.

3. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I said an even mix of new & old, because there are certain past themes I really want to hear again. (The Force theme, Luke & Leia's theme,etc) But I'm thinking it'll be more tipped on the side of newer pieces.

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Oh look, a John Williams thread I haven't posted on.
    One of my few fears about the score is that it'll feature too many callbacks. I've said this countless times before but I really hope the score has a Phantom Menace-like balance between old and new. With that score, references to previous material were sparsely done and with new arrangements (other than the main and end titles, nothing was copied wholesale from previous scores, unlike the other two prequel scores). The sound of the score was a great mixture of old and new too, with countless new orchestral colors over the existing Star Wars sound.

5. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    I wonder if they'll shoehorn in something crazy like the Cantina Theme. Or the Yubnub song, lol.

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Been listening to the Saga soundtracks a lot recently, and I've noticed that each one of the films added A LOT of their own themes, while keeping either the staples of their trilogy, or the staples of the Saga. The PT used Duel of the Fates throughout, but also had recurring themes of Binary Sunset, Opening Crawl, Emperors Theme, and Imperial March (with TPM having the least of each). I'm expecting the same of the ST: mostly new themes among each film, but with that trilogies specific themes, as well as the Saga staples.

Hyrum_Solo and Darkslayer like this.
  7. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    I bet, as usual, the villain themes will be one of the big highlights of the trilogy.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not worried about the music aspect of the movies.
    Old themes will be used but so will many new ones.

9. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    Good music helps a movie, but I also see how a good movie could help the music. Give John intense/emotional/meaningful scenes to work with and his job becomes a lot easier.

Howard Hand and Chris_Fives like this.
  10. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I would love to hear Duel of the Fates again!

Obi-Wan Catnobi and S2N2 like this.
  11. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I think I'm sure that John Williams will deliver even if the movie does not ...

DBPirate likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This.
    Well, I certainly think the movie will deliver (I hope at, at least - but everything I've seen so far has been looking great), but I have no doubt the music will be fantastic.

13. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    Indeed, he has a higher success rate than the films he's scored.

14. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    Williams never fails to deliver lots of new music while keeping some of the old tunes that fit thematically

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I went "more new and some old." That was something I didn't like about JW's IJ Kingdom...Crystal Skull score-IMO there was too much rehashing of old themes. It just felt like it was inserted there for cheap nostalgia's sake. I love those themes, but not the way they were shoehorned in there...

I've really been looking forward to hearing some brand new, memorable JW themes for SW. This is one of the (many) things I'm most excited for in December!

It's time for some new classics-the likes of Imperial March, Throne Room Finale, Yoda's Theme, and Across The Stars!

Howard Hand likes this.
  16. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    Just came back to visit this thread and remind everyone that JW hasn't won an Oscar in over 20 years.... I know that kind of stuff is trivial, but I still kinda want him to get nominated and win this year.

If anything the man deserves his lifetime achievement award by now. SO MANY things overdue!

17. SchrödingersFett

SchrödingersFett Jedi Knight

Oct 3, 2015
    My ring tone on my phone is the opening music to the second teaser trailer. It gives me goosebumps everytime.

DARTH_BELO and Revyl Ren like this.
  18. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    That is shocking considering that time period includes The Phantom Menace and Harry Potter.

19. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Wasn't he at least nominated many times since then...although he hasn't won an Oscar since the early 90's (Schindler's list I believe), he's won several others like Golden Globes, and BAFTA, etc...

It is true though that he has been somewhat quiet over the last 10 years-at least nomination wise, compared to the 80's/90's.

20. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    This is one thing I know will not disappoint me, as I love all of John Williams' work (that I've heard). It's hopefully going to be a mixture of mostly new and some old pieces. I hope Duel of the Fates may make an appearance.

Even if the movie ends up being a disappointment, I know the soundtrack won't be! I hope he does VIII and IX as well.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  21. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I don't want to see dual of fates on its own. It is very much a PT theme, and that is where it should stay. Incorporating it in new songs on the other hand I am all for. I don't want to see any blatant re-use of old themes unless it is extremely relevant (i.e. Luke's theme to introduce Luke).

Skellybobs likes this.
  22. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Well, I'm all for new songs as well, as long as they're of the normal Williams quality. I'd love to see some old themes in there as well though, and not just those found in the OT.

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Of all the things to ponder, I have no worries that John Williams can "deliver." How it will be delivered could have to do with what J.J. Abrams thinks and how the music gets used. I still wonder just how some of the Attack of the Clones music got reused in the second Harry Potter movie. Everyone should do themselves a favor and not listen to the music until hearing it used in the movie. Be surprised if there is anything reminiscent of older themes.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  24. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    I wouldn't mind if there is more of the OT music just for TFA. Then more new pieces for VIII and IX. I do like the brilliance of William's music in the PT particularly the TPM even though the music deserved to be in far better films. For example, "Anakin's theme" in TPM is a sly "innocent" in disguise variation of the ESB imperial march.

25. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Does anyone know if the score for each of the trailers is newly recorded by JW?

I know the first one is-but if the other two also are, then I think we are in for something fantastic!!