main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD State of the FanFic Address - October 2015- Possible Downtime Info Added 10/8/15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    State of the FanFic Address

For those who are newer around these parts, every so often we have a State of the Fanfic Address to sum up events that have happened here in Fanfic and things that might have happened around the boards that pertain to fanfic. We also let you know about things that we might have been working on behind the scenes. Our last address was in February, we decided to have another.

[​IMG]

The traditional, what your mods are up to IRL part of the address:

Mav: As many of you know, Mav just recently moved to NYC and while she still doesn't feel like a New Yorker, she is settling in. She's getting used to being a new mommy to a parakeet who has been sharpening her beak a lot and might be plotting to kill Mav in her sleep. In other news, it's starting to sink in that we are only a short few months from The Force Awakens where Mav does plan on going to a midnight premiere. Most likely, there will be tears.

Bri: Bri is writing this as she recovers from an insane family wedding and as she tries to madly finish a research proposal, which seems to be the story of her life these days. She is currently living with new roommates who seem to be hell-bent on dropping her GPA (but it's all fun). She is beyond stoked for The Force Awakens, which she plans to go see the midnight premiere of with her brothers. There will be screaming.

Board Wide Info

Same Sex Relationship Policy
    Finally, after years of appealing to the owner of the site, we have been given permission to repeal the outdated 'no SSR rule' that mostly applied to fanfic and RPF. You are now allowed to write any character -canon and original characters- as any spectrum of sexuality.

Truncation
    Sorry, nothing to report here. We almost didn't bring it up, but felt like since fanfic is the most affected you should at least know we haven't forgotten.

XenForo Upgrade
    This is the upgrade fanfic needs to add the multi-tagging system which was decided on for categorizing stories. Several forums would like to use the multi-tagging feature and several board issues would be fixed with this upgrade. A request as to when this upgrade might take place has been put in, but we don't have an answer as of right now. Bri and Mav have been discussing a temporary solution should the need arise.

Edit added 10/8/15: Possible down time
    Per our head admin:
    You can follow the comms thread HERE, where more info will be posted as available.

[​IMG]

FanFic Info

New FAQ/WNU Thread
    After hours and hours of work, your mods have finally finished revamping the FAQ and made a Welcome New Users Thread. They both should be up shortly.

Awards
    After the post-awards discussion from last year and discussion amongst ourselves, we've decided to throw the awards back to the users as it was before the move. Doing so is going to require quite a few volunteers, so be thinking if you would like to help out. More info on this will be coming soon.

When asking the mods
    We're always happy to have your ideas for challenges, threads, etc., please feel free to PM us at any time. There are times we may ask you to wait a week or two for different reasons: we've got a lot going on or we've had a few similar requests are the most common reasons. If we ask you to wait or ask you for an example, it's your responsibility to get back to us as we are human and sometimes forget, or we assume you've decided not to go forth with your idea. If now is not a good time for you, that's fine, just let us know when it is.

Concrit Thread
    We've started a new concrit list for those who would like to get constructive criticism. Please check this list prior to giving any constructive criticism as giving concrit to someone not on this list will be removed as stated in the rules.

Just a reminder that constructive criticism -per wikipedia- is "the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one. The purpose of constructive criticism is to improve the outcome." Bashing and flaming is still against the rules and should be reported to the mods. As always, if you don't like it, don't read it, don't comment.

Beta Readers Thread
    We now have an all new Beta Readers Index! We hope that people who are willing to beta will put their names forth to help out your fellow writer. If you need a beta, this is also the place to ask.

Spoiler Policy
    Just a reminder as we get closer and closer to new Star Wars movies, the spoiler policy is in effect. If you are going to write a story that might contain a spoiler for new movies, please refer to the FanFic Spoiler Policy.

FanFic Olympics
    We enjoyed collaborating with the NSWFF mods to have a big fanfic challenge and it seems like those who participated found it fun and challenging. Since people seemed to enjoy it, we plan on doing it again in the future and already have a few ideas on how to make it bigger and better.

[​IMG]

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    My replies, in order, in emoticon form:

:D [face_waiting] [face_waiting] :D [face_thinking] :) [face_dancing] :D [face_plain] [face_party]

Exeter, Chyntuck, mavjade and 2 others like this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks for this Briannakin and mavjade :) A few tidbits from me, I hope it's okay to post them here.

About the Awards, I started a new index of award-winning fics, that, due to DRL and everything, is still under construction, but will hopefully be completed soon. For now it's only alphabetical, but fics will also be listed by award category and by year. If you won an award and your fic isn't listed, or if your fic is listed as truncated but you fixed the truncation, please PM the FanficIndex so that I can correct it.

Oh, and I'll wait for the new awards discussion thread to volunteer [:D]

About the FanFic Olympics, is there going to be a post-challenge survey thread, or should we post any comments and ideas here?

And finally the most important thing: Mav, did you get your NY license? [face_good_luck]

Findswoman and mavjade like this.
  4. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Probably not, though we didn't discuss it so it's not out of the realm of possibility. You could post your ideas in the Olympics thread, that way when we go to do it again, we're more likely to see/remember them rather than them get lost in this thread. :)
    And no, not yet. [face_plain]

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks, Briannakin and mavjade, and thanks for all you do to keep this place running. :)

I'd be glad to pitch in on the awards when the time comes (like Chyntuck, I'm looking forward to that new thread). But since I wasn't around before the move, I'd be curious to know more about the exact awards tasks that we would be volunteering for. (I can guess at some of them, but I bet there's a lot behind the scenes, too.)

Admiral Volshe, jcgoble3 and Chyntuck like this.
  6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    When we post the information about the awards and call for volunteers, there will be explanations of all the positions for volunteers. :)

7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Possible Down Time

Per our head admin:
    You can follow the comms thread HERE, where more info will be posted as available.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Is it really only going to be that short of an outage or should we, erm, make arrangements for someplace else to be?

mavjade , Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Hope this doesn't turn into a two-day pizza run that kills the email servers. :p

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Should we back up our stories just to be safe? [face_clown]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Since I live in the EST Timezone I will most likely be asleep for the whole thing. I feel for those that live far enough ahead or behind to be caught in it.

Note to Self: don't send anything to Nyota's Heart on 12th of this month.

Sent from my iPadd from another galaxy using Tapatalk

12. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    I will be wide awake as we set sail across the abyss, on a course for oblivion.

13. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Us insomniacs and people not in the Americas will make sure everything goes smoothly. [face_good_luck]

I'd just like to ask if I could have a tag when FanFic Awards are being discussed. I have a nasty habit of missing things like that.

metophlus and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Is it the end of the world? Should I panic? :eek:

Admiral Volshe and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010

mavjade , Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    Stoicism is for YOU!

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Agreeing with jcgoble3. So I'll make note to self - not to even expect my email alerts until the 14th or 15th earliest. :p

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    LOL! I don't see any Pizza Runs in our near future. This shouldn't be nearly as complicated as moving an entire forum to a new host...

I hope. :p

Admiral Volshe and jcgoble3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.