main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Special edition - worst and best changes

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Let's do it. You guys list your the 3 changes you think are the worst. And also list your three favorite changes.

Worst changes
    Boba Fett's voice
    Hayden's ghost
    Jedi Rocks

Favorite changes
    New emperor's hologram
    Victory celebration
    Cloud City new sky

Feel free to lock this thread.

2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Worst Changes:
    1) Jedi Rocks
    2) Han conversing with Jabba in ANH.

Favorite Changes:
    1) Ian McDiarmid as Emperor Sidious Palpatine in TESB.
    2) Cloud City improvements.
    3) Sarlacc CGI.
    4) Music at the end of ROTJ.

Triad Moons and Anakin's Daddy like this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    Worst Changes
    1. Hayden Christensen replacing Sebastian Shaw
    2. Jedi Rocks replacing Lapti Nek
    3. Greedo shooting at Han and missing at point blank range

Best Changes
    1. Updated Battle of Yavin effects
    2. Additional shots of Boba Fett's ship pursuing the Millenium Falcon
    3. Additional shots of the Millennium Falcon flying over Cloud City

4. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    Worst Changes:
    1) Greedo shoots first
    2) Jedi Rocks
    3) Hayden Ghost - doesn't make sense except to tie the bad trilogy with the good trilogy
    4) Ian McDiarmid in Empire Strikes Back - the original old woman with male voice was haunting and sinister... The ROTS Palpatine shows up and it doesnt feel right.

Best Changes:
    1) X-Wings in A New Hope with some cool Tie vs. X-Wing shots

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Worst Changes:
    1)Jedi Rocks - the song is worse than before, and terribly animated creatures that sings straight into the camera - no thanks! The extended Oola sequence is neat though.
    2)"Noooo" - the scene was cinematic perfection. Wordless storytelling at its best. So why add words to it?
    3)Sarlacc Beak - when it was just a pit, it was scary as hell. The worm-thing made it a lot less scary.
    4)Boba's new voice - I like the idea behind it, but Morrison's reading of the lines is awkward and bored.
    5)"Alert my Star Destroyer to blablablah" - the "Bring my shuttle" line was always one of my favourites.

Best Changes:
    1)Victory Celebration - the music is much better than Yub Nub, and the montage makes the victory feel more important. This is a change I really miss when I watch the theatrical version.
    2)McDiarmid Emperor - the original Emperor, while awesome, always bothered me - since he didn't look or sound like the "real" Emperor at all.
    3)Jabba in ANH - yes, the scene is redundant. Yes, the CGI is terrible. But Han Solo is awesome, and the line "Jabba - you're a wonderful human being" cracks me up every time.
    4)Compositing - a subtle, but nice change. The models used for ships and other things in the OT were terrific. But the compositing wasn't, so the digital re-compositing was wonderful.
    5)Opening up the world(s) - the extended introduction to Mos Eisley, as well as the expanded Cloud City were great additions to make the GFFA feel bigger, and more "real".

Changes I really don't care one way or another about:
    Greedo shooting first
    Young Anakin ghost

cwustudent, lookameatbag and LazyJC22 like this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Best
    1) Anakin's Force Spirit
    2) Sidious's hologram with the accompanying new dialogue
    3) Boba Fett's voice

Many more including Vader's "NOOOO!!!"

Worst
    1) Greedo shoots first as opposed to only Han shooting and not for any nonsensical character reason but just because it doesn't really work visually. I would want the scene changed to pull out the Jabba dialogue given to Greedo and return the scene to it's earliest form then have that where it is now with Jabba.

Can't think of anything else of consequence to me.

MissJo likes this.
  7. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Best changes:
    • Added scenes for Mos Eisley in A New Hope (I think it makes the world of Tatooine look much larger and busier despite some of the CGI that doesn't really fit for the added creatures)
    • New scene added for Ben Kenobi's home on Tatooine in A New Hope
    • New scene added when the Millenium Falcon takes off from Mos Eisley in A New Hope
    • New scenes in the Battle of Yavin against the first Death Star in A New Hope
    • The new Emperor hologram in The Empire Strikes Back
    • Added windows and scenes for Cloud City in The Empire Strikes Back
    • Victory Celebration at the end of Return of the Jedi
    • Added ring explosions for the Death Star I & II and Alderann in A New Hope and Return of the Jedi
    Worst changes
    • Jedi Rocks in Return of the Jedi (but I've generally found all the Jabba's palace scenes silly with or without those changes)
    • Added Vader's Nooo at the end of Return of the Jedi
    • Added rocks in front of R2-D2 when he hides from the Sand People in A New Hope
    • The changed dragon's cry made by Ben Kenobi in A New Hope
    Changes that I don't care about or I don't mind about
    • Hayden Christensen's ghost in Return of the Jedi
    • Jabba the Hutt added scene in A New Hope
    • Ewoks blinks in Return of the Jedi
    • Boba Fett's changed voice in The Empire Strikes Back
    • Han vs Greedo in A New Hope

8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Worst changes:
    RotJ Vader's "No! Noooo!"
    Ghost Hayden
    Greedo shooting - period.
    Obi-Wan's latest Krayt call

Best changes:
    Fixing the color of Luke's lightsaber on the Falcon
    Removing Shaw's eyebrows during the reveal

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Worst:
    Greedo shooting. It just looks bad. it's a blaster bolt and Han doesn't even move.

Best:
    I actually liked everything concerning Mos Eisley. The expanded city and Han's conversation with Jabba.

10. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    This has been done to death

11. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Worst changes: R2 hiding behind a rock, with the rock later randomly disappearing and Obi-Wan's terrible Krayt call. The one right before 2011 was best.

Best changes: Emperor hologram, Mos Eisley, Boba Fett's voice, Hayden Christensen so the trilogies flow better.

I'm find with pretty much all the changes except the ones I put in worst though.

MissJo and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Thing about that to me is that there is always something. Like the "human" Jawa at the Droid sale or Peter Mayhew not having the Chewbacca head on for part of Luke's arrival when he ducks under the X-Wing so if you are looking for it you see the back of his human head or the doubles for Luke out the window in TESB or Mace's background double for TPM.

So the point isn't any randomness (of which there is always bound to be some) but the story point that you get.

13. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Every time I watch the BRD version of ANH I look for this "disappearing" rock everyone keeps complaining about. I think I've watched it four times and I cannot for the life of me locate the shot that supposedly shows this. The overhanging rock is there in every angle. :confused:

14. Encuentro

Aug 8, 2013

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Encuentro

Aug 8, 2013
    The disappearing rock gets a lot of attention, but the disappearing window on Bespin is just as bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Images not loading for me. It just says "dvdactive -- image available exclusively from www.dvdactive.com". [face_dunno]

cwustudent likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Aug 8, 2013
    Jester J Binks and Dagobahsystem like this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm just going to paraphrase the fanbase

best:
    ALL OF THEM

worst:
    ALL OF THEM

19. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Okay, then yes, that's exactly what I mean. R2 is blocking the exact space where he was previously hiding, and what little bit of it we can see is in shadow. Unless we compare two stills of the same space, we can't know that the slab is missing. While watching the film we don't photographically memorize the previous angle from several minutes prior. I have my issues with some of the SE changes, but this certainly isn't one of them.

Thanks for the links.

Encuentro likes this.
  20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    While not a popular position, I'm going to say that 99% of the changes were good. There are literally hundreds of changes to the films, and many go unnoticed next to the obvious CGI bits.

The majority was re-compositing images. People like to divide the group into strictly old school and new school, but when practical models are touched up with modern technology, it really looks amazing:
    [​IMG]
    The original foreground element had to be transparent (you can see the ship through Luke's head). Even in pristine condition, the special edition wins out in that respect. Even improved motion blur, matched lighting, and improved shading with CGI makes some scenes look worlds better.
    [​IMG]

So in a nutshell; THOSE are the best special edition changes in my eyes. Of course, that's still technically changing the original film, which is why it's hard to draw the line for what's truly "original." I admit that many CGI additions were put in specifically to solve certain problems. The mouth of the Sarlaac, for example, is a recreation of a failed practical set piece. While some changes are frivolous, there was thought behind a lot of them, and why it was necessary. Some are a stretch (livening up Mos Eisley), but none are completely distracting. Well, there is Jedi Rocks, but that was the intention of it.

One thing I wish was fixed up rather than discarded and replaced was the X-Wing attack on the Death Star. While fixing those up could very well have been more trouble than a CGI recreation, the results of the fan restoration speak for themselves. Recomposite the elements to make everything nicer, and you've got a beautiful scene.

As for all of the "worst" changes, I can sum everything up with instances where the filmmakers second-guessed themselves. That is, changes where it was completely feasible to do it the SE way at the time, but was done differently. They had the ability to make Greedo shoot first at the time, but they didn't. Same with the Krayt Call, Ghost Anakin, etc. See, if Anakin's Ghost was originally some young guy said to be Luke's father, everyone would be onboard for replacing him with Christensen. But deliberately making the ghost the same age as Darth Vader really means something different.

21. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Sure the models blend better, but ugh, they completely destroyed the picture quality by increasing the contrast! So many details drowned out with increased contrast. :rolleyes:

22. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I think that scene is actually pretty well-colored. I know there is some horrendous examples from the 2004 DVD, but everything in that scene looks natural. It might just look off next to the original, which is pretty desaturated from blending with the background.

23. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    The coloring is fine if a bit diminished on the underside of that one Snowspeeder next to Luke, although why I'm not sure. The colors seem fine everywhere else in the images if a bit more vibrant. The contrast, on the other hand, destroys the details in the image. All the lighter areas like the snow are a lot brighter, removing the texture of the landscape, and the darker areas like the shadows removes the textures inside the cockpit.

24. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Worst changes: Greedo shooting and Jedi Rocks!
    Best changes: Emperor hologram, Cloud City approach, victory celebrations, re-compositing.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Complete destruction! The devastation, the horror...

Come on, slightly increased contrast isn't inherently bad, and the end result is evidently great.

ObiWanKnowsMe, Sarge and Jo Lucas like this.