main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub What Is Thy Bidding My Master? *Darth Vader Fanclub* (All Are Welcome)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
  2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Sorry for not posting here much but welcome Darth_Pevra and @Bazinga'd!:)

Cubman987
    Jedi Knight Fett
    Pensivia
    PadawanEmily
    Saga Explorer
    Darth_Furio
    JEDI-RISING
    James T Kirk
    SatineNaberrie
    Cushing's Admirer
    Skywalkin'
    Darth Argel
    Queen Apailana
    Force Smuggler
    Admiral Volshe
    DarthIshyZ
    DarthNexys
    TrustyTrooper
    Jedi with a TARDIS
    Darth_Pevra
    Blazinga'd

cubman987 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Lord Vader is the rock star of Star Wars.:cool:

I’ve loved Darth Vader since I was a kid, when I first saw the original trilogy from rented VHS. He’s the first "villain-turned-good" so to speak that I saw on TV, and since then it had always left an impression on my mind.

Favorite line? Probably “You may dispense with your pleasantries commander, I’m here to put you back on schedule.” I love the wording, and the way JEJ delivers this line in the movie.
    Favorite moment is in ROTJ, when he is silently watching his son being tortured and keeps turning his head between Sidious and Luke. We can’t see his face, but the body language is so expressive in this scene, one can almost feel his conflicted feelings and tortured thoughts speaking through the mask.

Chancellor Yoda and cubman987 like this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Do you know what I love about the new canon? That they show off Vader's intelligence just as much as his brute strength, whether it be in Rebels, the novels or the comics. You truly get the feel that he is the undisputed greatest warrior of the entire Emperor.

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Agreed. His arc in the new comics I especially like with him operating behind the Emperor's back/searching for Luke's identity. Haven't read "Lords of the Sith" yet but I am starting it today and looking forward to reading another book with lots of Vader in it.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It doesn't have that much Vader, but don't be disappointed, the content with Vader is very good. I also liked the new characters a whole lot, so you're in for a treat.

7. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Yes!
    Vader was not portrayed as yet another brutish attack dog in ANH; he was portrayed as more of a cunning strategist. If it hadn’t been for Luke, which was a completely unexpected surprise, the Empire would’ve wiped out the entire Rebel Alliance for good thanks to his plan.
    I’m glad that both Kieron Gillen and the Rebels show team are doing justice to the Vader that I knew from the movies.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I thought Vader had great character moments in Darth Vader #5 and #6. The differences between him and the Emperor were demonstrated perfectly.

When he meets the Cylo experiments, they speak that they would replace Vader as Sith apprentice. Vader is not exactly happy about it. These cyborgs are to replace him, a warrior of the force.

"This is blasphemous!"

Later a conversation with the Emperor about the Cylo experiments follows. It is revealed to us that the Emperor doesn't understand what Vader's real problem is:

"You stand there, more metal than man, and talk of abominations? If not for my open mind, you would not be here. Everything is of the force."

Palpatine draws the wrong conclusions. He thinks that Vader has a disdain for machines. But it's not that Vader hates machines, far from it, but he hates that someone would dare elevate himself above the force itself. Vader is deferential to the force. He knows that the force is greater than himself because he is a man who has a clear picture of himself and his mortal limitations. Overcoming his physical issues have shaped him and made him wiser. But Palpatine doesn't understand this. And that's why he misunderstands Vader. Palpatine thinks the Death Star is a good idea, while Vader knows that it is nothing compared to the power of the force. And this is why Palpatine can't understand Vader, why his view is limited.

Heroic BB-8, minnishe and La Calavera like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am loving Vader's portrail in New Canon so much more then in the EU.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  10. PadawanEmily

PadawanEmily Jedi Master star 8

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm loving the Vader comic series.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I hope we get a mask-less scene in Rogue One. I think that would be great!

minnishe and PadawanEmily like this.
  12. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Yikes sorry for being gone for awhile guys. Welcome La Calavera. [:D]

Cubman987
    Jedi Knight Fett
    Pensivia
    PadawanEmily
    Saga Explorer
    Darth_Furio
    JEDI-RISING
    James T Kirk
    SatineNaberrie
    Cushing's Admirer
    Skywalkin'
    Darth Argel
    Queen Apailana
    Force Smuggler
    Admiral Volshe
    DarthIshyZ
    DarthNexys
    TrustyTrooper
    Jedi with a TARDIS
    Darth_Pevra
    Blazinga'd
    La Calavera.

13. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Hmm… with Hayden? Or another actor?

I actually would like to see a mask-less scene in Rebels. I’m trying to imagine how it would like in that animation style.

14. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    What do you mean maskless? If he takes off his breather, he dies, correct?

15. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    if he's in an oxygen filled room, then yes he can take the mask off.

16. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Don't think that's the case. As far as I know he can't breathe at all without his apparatus. Perhaps for a short while but certainly not very long.

17. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    For a short while, that’s the idea. There was a moment in the new Star Wars comics where he lost his helmet for a brief moment.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Also a neat possibility. I mean it doesn't have to be longer than a couple seconds.

Or like in TESB. Helmet off, rebreather still attached. Actually the only reason that Piett didn't see his face was because he was turned away from him.

19. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Y'know, I love the character. Truly brilliant and well performed, too. But TBH, Vader has such big Achille's Heel weaknesses. What's a Sith's primary weapon? Lightning. What can Vader not take? Lightning. And just get his mask off and he's disabled. If I were Obi-Wan going against Vader, there's not much that could stand in the way of me winning, knowing what we all know.

And now... flame on. :)

20. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

Flame on? Isn't that what got Vader in this mess to begin with? :p

cubman987 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  21. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Your overconfidence is your weakness

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

In all seriousness it's that huge weakness that makes him all the more badass. He has to compensate for those issues and is still seen as this force of nature in the GFFA.

Darth_Pevra and DarthIshyZ like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What would Superman be without his cryptonite? Giving a character some flaws only makes him more fully realized.

But personally I think Vader can tank some lightning. His younger self was incapacitated by one lightning bolt by Dooku while Vader stood his ground long enough to throw Palpatine to his doom, meanwhile tanking the most powerful lightning from a very close distance.

What I can't imagine him doing is ... swimming.

DarthIshyZ and minnishe like this.
  24. minnishe

minnishe Jedi Master

Feb 5, 2009
    Count me in. Please. [:D]

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If you want in, you have to change your avatar. :p

Nah, just kidding.

Or am I?